hey whats the best wood for metal and why is it better compared to others. thanks
also
what is it about the rg321 that makes it better then some other ibanezes i hear it called alot around hear, being very good.
--Caleb
Quote by caughtinamosh
don't stick your penis in it

MY RIG!
Kramer Striker Custom FR-424 CM
B.c Rich Bronze Warlock
Johnson Electric Acoustic
Zoom GFX-1 Multi Effect pedal
Randall RX25
Behringer Distortion Pedal
Mahogany

/thread.
Member #4 of the iPods Suck Balls Club.
PM Oblivious16037 to join!

Quote by basssoldier
when i was 7 i saw my mom naked while taking a sh** it was pretty sick cuz shes fat....

Quote by Soul Power
Your my hero dementedpuppy.

Last.fm
POOP
alder or ash can be good too.

it depends what you mean by metal, what pickups are in the guitar, what amp you have, etc. etc.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
it depends as dave said just make sure its not chitty wood like plywood haha. mahogany, alder, and basswood are all commonly used tho.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
It's all subjective. It depends on your desired tone, your amp, your pickups and your style.

Alder, mahogany, ash, bass. In a very particular order...

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Mahogany or Alder
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
mahogany, but you see alder a lot, especially in guitars more suited for playing lead.
Quote by SeveralSpecies
Btw, I don't spell it doughnut, because that spells duff-nut.
just wondering, i have no experience with different woods so say a midrange guitar (about $400) with passive EMG's has basswood, would it be worth paying 50$ more for the same guitar in mahogany with lower end pickups or would it make a huge difference.
The Gearz:

Schecter Omen 6
B-52 At-100 head + 4x12 cab
Yamaha EG303
Digitech Bad Monkey Overdrive
I like mahogany and alder equally. I think that mahogany with a maple top is up there though, it can deliver really low sounding tunes with really bright sounding tunes.
Korina. not a common wood. think mahagony with lighter weight, sweet looking grain, and a touch more highs.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
I'll second the Korina actually, it has some very unique and beautiful traits to it.
Korina is great for metal requiring some added mids. I wouldn't say it has more highs than mahogany, then it'd be getting very similar to koa and basswood. Korina is very similar to mahogany, except it's got a stronger mid range. Black limba, as opposed to white limba, looks great on clear guitars. White limba is pretty ugly, and is often covered in solid color paint.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
i have heard that basswood is more for shred then metal because it has high mids or something?
--Caleb
Quote by caughtinamosh
don't stick your penis in it

MY RIG!
Kramer Striker Custom FR-424 CM
B.c Rich Bronze Warlock
Johnson Electric Acoustic
Zoom GFX-1 Multi Effect pedal
Randall RX25
Behringer Distortion Pedal
Alder is more for shred because it's a brighter wood with balanced mids, lows and highs. Basswood is more warmer than alder, but still has a pretty strong midrange. I personally dislike basswood for shred, as alder is a better alternative for a good shred tone because of the balanced properties of the wood.
algee is always right..
basswood is good for that crappy sounding shred, with no articulation. alder>

I like mahogony and alder the best
I'm not racist.

I hate everyone the same.

Quote by AlGeeEater
Alder is more for shred because it's a brighter wood with balanced mids, lows and highs. Basswood is more warmer than alder, but still has a pretty strong midrange. I personally dislike basswood for shred, as alder is a better alternative for a good shred tone because of the balanced properties of the wood.

yeah. I guess it depends what you mean by shred- for melodic satch/vai/gilbert type shred, basswood is good.

For more trebly, metal-based shred, then yeah, alder is probably better.

at the end of the day, as you've already said, it really depends what you're after.

60% of the threads on here say something like "what guitar/amp for metal?", forgetting that led zeppelin or black sabbath are technically metal, as are nile. you need pretty differing rigs for those types of metal, lol.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
basswood is pretty light, I haven't tried korina, though, I don't think.

it depends on the piece of wood, though.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Basswood is the lightest, but alder isn't too far behind. Korina and mahogany are heavy, but korina isn't as heavy as mahogany.

Chris
Ah ic because i have a Mohagany Explorer, and we know how big those are, and its heavy as a mother.