I honestly can't figure out how to get this tone.

It sounds like a synth to me, or maybe an e-bow, but this video shows Aaron Pillar picking it.

Anyway, theres two guitars, but they're both have very different sounds, so I'm pretty sure you know which one I'm talking about.

But what kind of effects would I need to do this? I can definantly hear delay and reverb. I can't decide if it's distorted or not. and I'm almost positive there's some kind of chorus effect. But what I don't understand is how it sounds like he's using a bow when he has a pick. Somebody explain this to me?
I attribute the bow thing to bad sound quality. I think the notes are just running together.
Alvarez dreadnought
Gibson SG
EC-1000
Homemade Strat (seymour duncan classic stack p/ups)
Vox Tonelab (original desktop model) with full board footswitch
Vox AD50
it's how much reverb he's got-tons. and there's a chorus too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Sounds like alot of heavy reverb and delay, with fast picking/ chords, similar to the Edge's playing from U2.

But yeah try using alot of those two effects, a sustainer could also help.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Alright, so just really, really heavy reverb and delay? Alright, so I was on the right track :]

Anyway, I think I'm going to buy an eBow anyway, since of all the ambient experimentation I've been doing.

Or could I just use a cello bow? I heard the guitarist from that icelandic band Sigur Ros uses one, and from what I've heard of them it sounds nice.
Yup I love Sigur Ros, he uses a real bow, however using one can be a little tough.

Alot of rosin is requiered and it gets the strings/guitar all sticky. You also need to get used to it since the guitar is played differently. Also being a bow you play it on the High and low strings for sound.

Delay and such effects are also nice to have.

As much as all this is the sound is beyond amazing, almost indiscribable when played right. Really beutiful and a bit out of this world.

E-Bows sound a bit different compared to a real bow.

They can be played on all strings and cost a bit more. Both are good so it's all up to you.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Using a violin bow is good for getting atmospheric effects, but as a violin/violist i will warn you that the rosin will mess with your finish, and it gums up your strings at an amazing rate.

While Jimmy Page used a Violin bow I recomend a cello bow, they are about the same length but are thicker and will take abuse much better. i broke a very nice Viola bow using it on my guitar, the position and change in stress was too much for the ebony frog-piece.

For a more general atmospheric tone I recomend using a fair amount of reverb. This can sound great in your room, but playing out it can make things sound blurry if you use the same amount you use at home. a slight delay is also good, I prefer a triplet delay as it just seems more melodic to my ear.

Chorus is also a big deal in atmosphere, it makes it sound like 3 or four of you are playing at the same time, each intonated about 1 cent off the other, in conjunction with a reverb it juts sounds huge!