I have an Epiphone G-310 SG and i want to put a tremolo on it, but not a bigsby. I want a floyd rose but i need to know if i need the nut is neccessary and if a floyd rose is basicly a drop in part for an SG. It just fits on the studs that the bridge is mounted on now right? I would also like to know if there are cheaper alternatives to a floyd rose trem that are the same type of thing. Thanx

Clark
that would be a messed up SG...
never heard of a floyd rose on an sg...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
i hate to say it, but you can't really take advantage of a floyd rose on an SG, the body's far too thin to get enough of a cavity for it. and no, it's not just a straight drop-in.

http://store.guitarfetish.com/flroflotrsy.html
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
SGs have very slim bodies, so you'll have to either get a custom one or one that's made for an SG
Decaptivated

Ibanez S370 (all custom)
Mesa Boogie Studio Pre
Fender Champ 25se (used to power Mesa pre)
Custom 2x12 cab w/ Eminence Texas Heats
thare is i thing i senn and it is a tremlo that fits whear the bridge is i think its calld a tremster of somehting like that
yes. in other words, summing up all these posts...
don't do it on an SG.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
stetsbar would be what I'd look into!

http://www.stetsbar.com/

apparently it has a pretty good range, and is generally a good piece of kit. Also, it requires no mods, so you can take it off when you want.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
You may be able to fit a drop-only floyd in there. But personally, i think that it wouldn't be worth it. after parts and labor to put it in, it will cost more than your guitar did.
Carvin DC127+Custom Lacewood Build+Godin SD--->Traynor YCV50BLUE

My Build IT'S DONE!
Quote by Dave_Mc
stetsbar would be what I'd look into!

http://www.stetsbar.com/

apparently it has a pretty good range, and is generally a good piece of kit. Also, it requires no mods, so you can take it off when you want.

how about a Kahler studmount? those are far better trems imo. The cam trem is just sweet, and palm muting doesn't throw the pitch down.

I like them better than floyds, but thats just me!
^ if that'll fit with no mods, i guess it's worth a look too!
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
I looked up Kahler tremolos and i like those alot. It does say something about possibly requiring top routing. Would this be necessary on an SG?
You'd have to get a body custom made. I'd highly recommend just building a complete guitar through Warmoth so you can get what you want.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
Quote by TheCalvinator
two words, "Whammy Pedal".

Two words (one abbreviation)
"You're Wrong"
You cannot manipulate multiple harmonics with a Whammy the same way as with a Floyd, nor can you choose to dive from below the note to rise above it

The SG body cannot physically accomidate a Floyd Rose normally, no matter how the Floyd is set up

The Kahler stud-mounts will work, but, as said before, a locking nut/tuners are important to keep the instrument in any semblence of tune.
Founder of the Ibanez RG5xx & up club PM tombo32 to join

Member #6 'I <3 mids' club. PM Roc8995.

My Name is: Tony
Quote by Keef-is-king
The Kahler will fit with no mods, although I do recomend getting a locking nut, as the trem's amazing range will throw you out of tune fast without one.

the stetsbar is a better vibrato than whammy bar, I think its more comparable to a bigsby with a slightly greater range than to a floyd.

yeah, the locking nut is the problem, you'd have to mod the guitar for that...
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Quote by Vacant Hill
I looked up Kahler tremolos and i like those alot. It does say something about possibly requiring top routing. Would this be necessary on an SG?

you won't need top routing on a studmount. Although I do recomend pro installation for the locking nut, and to get the thing intonated the first time!