Page 1 of 3
simply what is a sell-out in your eyes? im not asking for examples, I know enough examples as it is. Just someone please tell me what a sell-out is
When a band change their music, clothing and apperance to attract listeners, follow the stream and get into the charts.
erm like some1 who says there gonna do sumthing and then does something else

like, "yeah ill come the cinema with u tomoz" then "oh soz im goin out with ur dad instead"

u know sumet like that :P
Quote by Izz
When a band change their music, clothing and apperance to attract listeners, follow the stream and get into the charts.

+1
A/S/L?
Quote by Joboffal
erm like some1 who says there gonna do sumthing and then does something else

like, "yeah ill come the cinema with u tomoz" then "oh soz im goin out with ur dad instead"

u know sumet like that :P

Ehm
Please go on.
practically someone who gets signed to a big label and becomes really popular. they have a clothing line, signature instruments, grammy awards, millions of dollars. that's pretty much it.
Quote by steven seagull
There are no boring scales, just boring guitarists.

Quote by convictionless
dude calebrocker, that first song on your list almost made me cry
11/10
you win my good sir

^ My For Mom cover

Check out my MP3s!!
Hmm. I don't think it means being popular, I don't think it means changing your sound and becoming popular or changing your sound to be popular, nessesarily.

I think it means changing your sound to be popular even though you don't really like your sound, you just want money. You know?

When you stop making music for the passion and start making it for the money.
Quote by calebrocker
practically someone who gets signed to a big label and becomes really popular. they have a clothing line, signature instruments, grammy awards, millions of dollars. that's pretty much it.

Pfft, you're just jealous
Quote by calebrocker

no that's success, not selling out, if they dileberatley changed their sound to do that then yes, but if they stuck to their guns and played what they'd always been playing then no.
Quote by IlIk2plygUItAr
Hmm. I don't think it means being popular, I don't think it means changing your sound and becoming popular or changing your sound to be popular, nessesarily.

I think it means changing your sound to be popular even though you don't really like your sound, you just want money. You know?

When you stop making music for the passion and start making it for the money.

100% agree with that defintion of sellout.
Lets use metallica. 1.KILL EM' ALL VS.THE BLACK ALBUM
2.MASTER OF PUPPETS VS. LOAD
3.AND JUSTICE FOR ALL.... VS. RELOAD
see the trend yet? (an screw u whiney ass holes who wanna defend them,cause im a fan of the early stuff so thats why im useing this).
dunno really....

sounds fun though!
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by rob_the_useless
see the trend yet? (an screw u whiney ass holes who wanna defend them,cause im a fan of the early stuff so thats why im useing this).

Perhaps you should describe the point and not just write up some albums.
I'd say someone who starts off with 'artistic integrity', then with time will jeopardise it to maximize profit or exposure. So say you have a punk band who start off and are really influenced by The Exploited musically, they have a very mundane grungy appearance but they are happy with. If it is suggested to them that they would sell more by looking more like hardcore punks, but sounding like Good Charlotte, then they were to go away and do it, then I would class that as 'selling out'.

EDIT: This leaves room for a change in sound, image or to move from label to label if artists feel happier expressing themselves in this different way. If their artistic integrity remains intact, it doesn’t matter how much media attention they get I wouldn’t call them sellouts. If a band makes good music that appeals to people, then as word gets spread they will get bigger.
Last edited by sweet_leaf_777 at Jan 4, 2007,
selling out is when you change just to fit in.

the problem is, a lot of assholes say their old favorite band sold out just because they dont like artistic change.

see AFI, i liked their old stuff more, yes. but when they changed i figured its because they like that direction more. but of course a bunch of close minded punks disagreed.

point being, you cant stick to one sound forever and when you do decide to change, you're going to be called a sellout by some kid.

but, if you're in a band that does what the **** it wants, who cares?
ill teach by example

lost prophets

they were heavish and made some good stuff..now they have pop-rock songs

i went to see them and they were dressed really "emo" and ian watkins had a dam perm.........a perm ffs!

then he was all like " yea keep buying our records....dont buy merch from the street traders....its bad quaility and i dont want to see you guys in bad clothes...buy our cool merch!"
Quote by rob_the_useless

So...let me get this straight...because you like earlier Metallica albums over the latter ones...that means they're sellouts?

Does that not seem completly ****ing retarded to you? Care to explain how that makes the slightest lick of sense?
Changing one's sound to appeal to the mainstream. Not simply changing your sound, look at Rancid (among others) who have matured without necessarily 'selling out'

Help any?
I highly recommend that everyone interested in making money online join this site.

<3
When artists make music to make money, and not simply to make music.

My examples, A7X and It Dies Today, both had decent and great albums in the past, respectivley, now both make this garbage that is just crap and it sounds like they decided on what people are listening to now-a-days and said, "hey, let's play that, it's our new passion and the music we've always wanted to make, they should buy that bullshit if we say it enough"
-Fender Deluxe Active P-bass (60th anniversary)
-Peavey T-40 (1982)
-Hartke HA-3500
-Aguilar GS 2x12
-GK Backline 2x10
Quote by Izz
Perhaps you should describe the point and not just write up some albums.

if anybody listens too them,then they know what im saying so theres no point

but for people know dont know or wanna make it tuff(you),they started as thrash.Then when they saw the money they could preduce they figured "hey lets appeal to these people more cause they can get us more money".So in effect they sold out to there core crowd of thrash fans an moved to a more media friendly base cause it made them more money.
Last edited by rob_the_useless at Jan 4, 2007,
when someone does what another has told them for the sake of getting money
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
Quote by *Juno*
ill teach by example

lost prophets

they were heavish and made some good stuff..now they have pop-rock songs

i went to see them and they were dressed really "emo" and ian watkins had a dam perm.........a perm ffs!

then he was all like " yea keep buying our records....dont buy merch from the street traders....its bad quaility and i dont want to see you guys in bad clothes...buy our cool merch!"

ohnos! a profit!

dont let the man make money of this band...i mean, he gets money from other places....right?
Perfect Example?

Celtic Frost with their cold lake album, complete different direction

from black metal to glam rock.
Quote by hatebreed219
When artists make music to make money, and not simply to make music.

My examples, A7X and It Dies Today, both had decent and great albums in the past, respectivley, now both make this garbage that is just crap and it sounds like they decided on what people are listening to now-a-days and said, "hey, let's play that, it's our new passion and the music we've always wanted to make, they should buy that bullshit if we say it enough"

"Lolz, the newer stuff has no screaming, they sold out lolz!"

Nah, Avenged Sevenfold are a bunch of ****s
Making trendy music. I don't think it's ONLY changing your style mid-career, Simple Plan would definitley be considered sell-outs, but that's the way they've always played.

I'd say the definition is any music made that you know before you release it will be on MTV 24/7.

Also, any musician who markets more than clothing and signature instruments *cough*KISS*cough* would be a sell-out IMO.
Dickless.
Last edited by MetalMilitia212 at Jan 4, 2007,
sellouts are what fanboys call there favourite "unknown band" that suddenly gets discovered

then there too bitter that everyone knows about that band

if the band makes more money its becuase there music is accessible to more people who might have a positive opinion on them

im not gonna name bands cos people will actually start a new debate

at least thats what my view on what a sellout is

but there is no actual real definition of sellout, its thrown about 2 much for that to be possible
www.myspace.com/adayoverdue

GEAR-
Guitars-
Ibanez SA260lh
Epiphone SG-black lefthand
Vintage Metal Axxe
Westfield Les Paul copy

Pedals
BOSS Metal Core
BOSS TU2
BOSS NS2
BOSS BF3 Flanger

BOSS BCB60

Amp
Orange Dual Terror head
Quote by rob_the_useless
if anybody listen too them,then they know what im saying so thereas no point

Quite frankly I have no idea what you're saying?

Are you saying a band should never change its sound?
kurt cobain
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Quote by rob_the_useless
if anybody listen too them,then they know what im saying so thereas no point

And what about opinions? perhaps people like these albums? Or is it like giantraven said. The albums you dislike are the product of sell-out?
Quote by MetalMilitia212
Making trendy music. I don't think it's ONLY changing your style mid-career, Simple Plan would definitley be considered sell-outs, but that's the way they've always played.

I'd say the definition is any music made that you know before you release it will be on MTV 24/7.

Simple Plan ain't sellouts, what they do now is exactly what they wanted to do and is what they love

Quote by mickyd
sellouts are what fanboys call there favourite "unknown band" that suddenly gets discovered

then there too bitter that everyone knows about that band

if the band makes more money its becuase there music is accessible to more people who might have a positive opinion on them

im not gonna name bands cos people will actually start a new debate

at least thats what my view on what a sellout is

but there is no actual real definition of sellout, its thrown about 2 much for that to be possible

Quote by Izz
And what about opinions? perhaps people like these albums? Or is it like giantraven said. The albums you dislike are the product of sell-out?

well its like if you have friends u been with a long time an u relate to them,an then u find a new group because of what they can offer you(money,more popularity,ect...) then u sold out.is it any clearer like that?
Well it is when people use whats popular and take advantage of it to get fame / money. I personally think there is nothing wrong with it, as long as they use it to do good.

Take for example Trivium. They start out as a normal metal band, but they know to get big in their day and age, they need to be a screaming metal / hardcore band. They use this to their advantage and get famous. They then go to their roots and play what they actually wanted to play, True metal. Many say that they sold out when they put out "The Crusade", but in fact, they sold out by using screaming / shouting vocals on their first two albums.

Just my two cents.
Quote by rob_the_useless
well its like if you have friends u been with a long time an u relate to them,an then u find a new group because of what they can offer you(money,more popularity,ect...) then u sold out.is it any clearer like that?

Not. In. The. Slightest.
Quote by Jordmo
Perfect Example?

Celtic Frost with their cold lake album, complete different direction

from black metal to glam rock.

Glam rock > you
Quote by rob_the_useless

+1
i only consider someone who changes their music to attract fans a sellout. if they can gain fans by changing their image, good for them.
We have lingered in the chambers of the sea
By sea-girls wreathed with seaweed red and brown
Till human voices wake us, and we drown.

- T.S. Eliot

Ok well then use this,they were thrash from the start.Then after they saw the money they could be makeing,they wanted to change there fan base to expand it to a larger group.but when theu did that they turned on what the band was originally built on an "sold out".So in all respects they changed the sound an quality of the music to get a fan base that would pay them more.
Page 1 of 3