Page 1 of 2
ok so i bought an epiphone les paul a while ago, and i love it so much. has a good sound, look, feel, etc... whatever, you get it. but the thing is, its heavy and has a set in neck. now im not selling it because i record with it, but i was thinking of buying another les paul next year. not gibson because im not willing to spend that much, its going to be epiphone or nothing. anyways, i want an epiphone les paul with a flat top, light weight like a stratocaster, 2 humbuckers (preferred), a 24 fret neck, and a bigsby (not one of those smaller ones like this http://www.guitarden.com/parts/IMAGES/Bigsby/TP3640-001&002.jpg) a big one like such -> http://www.guitarden.com/parts/IMAGES/Bigsby/TP3650-001&002.jpg . how much would all this cost and would it at all be possible to have the epiphone headstock at the top? i dont want the guitar to have a no name headstock, or some headstock that looks like it, has to be same exact shape as an epiphone one with the word epiphone on it. so yeah... like i said before, does anybody know if this would all be possible with the 24 frets, same headstock and how much it would all cost?

Edit/Addition: Im no expert with pickups either, so could someone mention a few good types of humbuckers? and honestly im a noob when it comes to customizing
Last edited by jincasa at Jan 4, 2007,
to my best knowledge 24 fret epiphones don't exist, so you would have to find a different name brand after market neck to put on it, the bigsby would be no problem though
no your right, 24 fret epiphones dont exist, however ill be putting a 24 fret neck on it.... but i still want the epiphone logo on it you know? would it be possible to take the headstock off the original neck and put it on the new one? :S
i think esp sell 24 fret les paul style guitars but i think there set neck.
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
yeah but if you read, i dont want a les paul style guitar, ill only use a gibson body (if i could afford) or epiphone.... i saw the special 2 has a bolt on neck.. what about that?
^ It is.

With a 24 fret neck, you'll have to move the neck pickup towards the bridge. Go with the ESP.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
^what he said. You are not going to be able to get 24 frets and quality with the way you want to do it.
damn... but im NOT getting an ESP. i dont like their guitars or any copy of a fender or gibson. i like sticking with the classics
what about making the neck longer? like, if i did move the pickup down, then the fretboard would be around 19 cm (whole neck 26 inches) but if i kept pickups where they were, and merely extended the neck to around 27-27.5 inches
Quote by jincasa
damn... but im NOT getting an ESP. i dont like their guitars or any copy of a fender or gibson. i like sticking with the classics

wouldn't epiphone les pauls be consider a copy not a classic? Like calling a Squier Strat a classic?
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
ill do that then and GnGonzalesjoe yes, your right about squier and epiphone, but ill use only gibson, fender, epiphone, gretsh (for their hollowbodies) and squier. im just not really into the ESP or dean or ibanez guitars. i dont know why, i can find atleast one good guitar by each company, but my preference is gibson, squier, gretsch,epiphone and fender. its like people and favorite colours. why blue instead of red? theres nothing wrong with red, its just what that person likes. iv never been a huge fan of metal either, and those companys are all about metal. just see the sites and whatever.

back to the point, ill move the neck pickup down a bit, but i was planning on changing the pickups all together. im by all means no expert on pickups. the only ones i know of are invader, P90, and P100. i dont know how good any of them are either. How much will the pickup being moved, 24 fret neck, new pickups, bigsby, and if necessary the cut in the body cost?
I think that's the first time I've seen Gibson and Squier next to each other . . .
My Gear:
Home made Strat
Palm Bay Custom Prototype
Yamaha F-310
Yamaha Pacifica 112
Peavey Rage 158
Boos DS-1
Boss BD-2
Laney Vc30-212
I imagine you'll end up having to spend at least 500 on your changes, I stronly recommend looking at another brand.

EDIT: Or you can forget about the 24 frets. That would be much easier.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

Last edited by Will_Minus at Jan 5, 2007,
nope, cant forget the 24 frets. im in a hard rock band, we do stuff like GNR, Velvet Revolver, Black Sabbath, and a little bit of Motley Crue. we'll play a song, and when it comes to the solo we go ahead and extend it or do something completely different. like onetime we played welcome to the jungle, got to the solo, then drums stopped, bass stopped, i stopped singing for a while and let my rhythm guitarist do some sweep picking, arpeggios, legatos, whatever. just shredded like mad. hes using a 24 fret 60's strat and were planning on doing a guitar duet thing. and i need 24 frets for it. so i cant forget it.

Edit: ill spend however much money on it though. i can get an epiphone for $100-200 depending on model and where i buy, plus $500 more is around $700, and i payed $900 for my carved top les paul and its case.
Quote by GnGonzalesjoe
i think esp sell 24 fret les paul style guitars but i think there set neck.

where can you get them?
Quote by xsynysterx06
adio_stack...i love you.
im not homo..

Quote by RideTheAnger13
lmao, omg, Adio, you have the best avatar known to man!
You would really spend 500 dollars on a 100 dollar guitar?

Here's a Fender with a trem, 24 frets, 2 humbuckers, 3 way switching.
http://www.fender.com/products/search.php?section=guitars&cat=showmaster&subcat=specialedition
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:

You could always use harmonics or bends i guess? But honestly, its not worth it for the extra 12 notes...
yeah, and the colours arent terribly nice either.... i dont like the fender showmaster. say what you want, but i just really dislike them. theres a reason i posted this in the customizing and gear building thread, because i want to customize a les paul, not buy a 24 fret guitar.
Okay, well, you won't be able to do it. Trust me. There's only two solutions:
1) 24 frets aren't really THAT big a difference, you can always bend up to hit those notes. So, just don't get another guitar, and learn to play without it.

2) Just gotta get another brand of guitar. You won't be able to change the neck out successfully from a bolt-on Epi LP. The neck heels are different from replacement after-market necks. Honestly, I think your reluctance to get another brand is pretty stupid. Other brands out there are making HIGH quality guitars, and doing exactly what you want. Name a couple of metal bands you listen to, I guarantee you Ibanez or ESP sponsors them, or they play one of those brands.
uhm... i dont listen to metal...... if you want to consider motley crue metal then do that. but mick mars uses a stratocaster, and nikki sixx uses his signature blackbird or thunderbird. also black sabbath isnt metal if you wanna say it is. toni iommi uses his custom SG. GNR and Velvet arent metal either, and even if they were, slash uses LP's, Richard Fortus uses gibsons and a stratocaster, and Robin fink uses an LP too. like i previously said, iv never been a fan of metal, i dont like it, nor listen to it.
actually, the epi tony iommi sig SG has 24 frets...

why is it so important to you that it has epiphone on the headstock?
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
lol its all good, i dont wanna start flame wars or anything you know? theres no point in fighting nomatter what way.

but theres some solos we play and it involves having 24 frets. my buddy did almost the same thing i want to do, he had the 24 fret neck on a les paul DC, only he never thought of the bigsby. also, at first i thought have the epiphone logo on it to show its not some knockoff, but if i absolutely have to sacrafice it, then i will.

yeah, GNR was metal, true that, i went by the majority of what they do now and that you know? same with sabbath. but yeah, like i said, just incase theres potential to start one, i dont want a flame war
Epiphone Les Paul Junior Special. Get fret extensions and then route in for a neck pickup and there you go. Big up to you for liking classics like me, =D
i like your way of thinking, i honestly didnt consider it.... but is it a set in or bolt on neck?
just looked on musicians friend, if i got fret extensions and put in the new pickup theyd be much too close together, and the bridge is closer to the neck than other epi LP's

Edit: About my previous point, lmao, i wasnt thinking, if theres fret extensions on a junior, who the hell cares if its set in or bolt on XD
Quote by jincasa
lol its all good, i dont wanna start flame wars or anything you know? theres no point in fighting nomatter what way.

but theres some solos we play and it involves having 24 frets. my buddy did almost the same thing i want to do, he had the 24 fret neck on a les paul DC, only he never thought of the bigsby. also, at first i thought have the epiphone logo on it to show its not some knockoff, but if i absolutely have to sacrafice it, then i will.

yeah, GNR was metal, true that, i went by the majority of what they do now and that you know? same with sabbath. but yeah, like i said, just incase theres potential to start one, i dont want a flame war

dude- ive read this thread- and i have come to one conlusion.

it HAS to be a custom guitar. for 900- you can probably do it from warmoth.

but thats your best bet- cuz your fret extension, routing, and shit, its just dumb to do to a cheap ass guitar.

im not hatin- i put some money into my tele- but i kept it stock looking- no major routing.

so yea- do it custom through wormoth- or if you cant do that- have someone build it for you.

and btw- epi is not a name to be proud of on a guitar- because its a gibson knock off
well tonge united. i think ill do that then thanks for helping everybody.
O_o wow, lmfao, i shouldhave looked at that site more, i just realized truely how helpful it is. so can someone close this thread? i think its served its purpose
thanks to all
UG rocks
Page 1 of 2