Im interest in constructing a Danelectro DC, because I have access to all the tools in my schools woodshop. Can anybody point me in the right direction for templates or something for the body? Or reading material for the construction of them? Id like it to be as vintage correct as possible.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
Werent those made with a pine frame and masonite shell, like a semi-hollow without holes? BTW thats an incredibly sweet axe good luck
not sure its even pine they used for the frame, I've heard its a chipboard type material on some of them. they sound ****ing amazing though!
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Ive heard plywood for the frame myself.

Do you know if they are like semi-hollows with a plank of wood from the neck socket to the strap pin of the guitar?

Do you know the pickups are mounted?
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
im pretty sure the frame is pine and where the neck mounts and the strap pin it is just cut thicker. Pickups probably mount to the masonite.
the pickups are held in by screws coming through from the back of the guitar, and they are hollow, having thought about it and from memory you need a centre block of good wood, think they used poplar, then you glue the sides on then but a Masonite top and back on and the necks are maple.

amazing what you can find out in guitar shops from trying out guitars and asking questions
Official member #3 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join. Luthier's only .
Quote by givemeaname
the pickups are held in by screws coming through from the back of the guitar, and they are hollow, having thought about it and from memory you need a centre block of good wood, think they used poplar, then you glue the sides on then but a Masonite top and back on and the necks are maple.

amazing what you can find out in guitar shops from trying out guitars and asking questions

Do they use something like string ferrules to counter sink into the body? Ive only seen pictures and never any of the back.

Hows the neck join to the Masonite? I know its a bolt-on neck, but how well would it hold up if it were just screwed on to the Masonite? I cant really see it holding up well, but I haven't worked extensively with the stuff so I really don't know.

And does anybody know where I can get a good clean drawing or picture of a headstock to trace? I tried Google but everything came out small quality.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
It's a block of masonite with a pine (possibly plywood) top to keep it in shape.

my friend has a Danelectro U2. It's really light. It has a 4-bolt neck, if I'm not mistaken. The bolts are arranged in a sort of L shape. I'll see if I can find a picture

EDIT: okay, this isn't the one he has, but it's the same model. It's actually 5 bolts on the neck

I dunno what the 4 screws in the middle are for. I assume it's something to do with the pickups, or just to keep it in shape...
Last edited by sashki at Jan 5, 2007,
Thanks Shashki!

Yeah, those four screws in the body must be for the pickups. I like the way that cavity cover looks too.

Ive never seen a "block" of masonite before though. Would it be like a bunch of masonite pieces stacked and glued together?

I thought about making it kinda like a neck-thru if it is actually a block of masonite as you say, and have a piece of plywood running from the neck joint to the end of the body, then make a frame and put the masonite on the top and back. Like a Semi-Hollow without holes, like ESPjohn666 said.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
So I think Im going to go for it. I dont see what could go wrong, and its all free (Except the neck, but if I build the body correct, Ill buy a neck for it.)

I just have to wait to get back to school to start on it.
Quote by red star

Quote by Dyaxe666
Sounds awesome man Good luck!
Quote by Unforgivable
LesPaulMarshalls ace!
Quote by Dudage
LesPaulMarshall, you friggin rock!
Quote by adrian_brown89
It's pretty hard to find someone as hardcore as Tom. The race for hardcore supremacy would be pretty close but i think Tom's got his nose just in front for now...
Agreed.
I R tr00 Member of UG's Gain \/\/hores - don't pm gpderek09 to join unless you are truly worthy
www.purevolume.com/mordecaiaus
Quote by xifr
There is the possibility that I may have or may or may not have gone or not gone into the danger zone.

Quote by lespaulmarshall
I love you Joel