I love it, I usually dont listen to metal if it doesnt have keyboards. I love to go for that epic sound, with strings, organs, a choir, etc.
as long as it adds to the song I don't mind it

bands like COB do it tastefully where the guitars' lead lines follow the keyboard
Fender Jim Root Signature Telecaster
Martin Westside Custom Edition
Peavey 6505
Peavey XXX Cab
ISP Decimator Prorack G
Sennheiser EW172 G3
Sennheiser wireless IEM
Ibanez TS9DX
Boss TU-2 Tuner
MY BAND:
http://www.myspace.com/thedirtyyouth
Quote by fwibble
as long as it adds to the song I don't mind it

bands like COB do it tastefully where the guitars' lead lines follow the keyboard

Yeah the keyboardists in COB kick it
Also, ive seen keyboardists playing with Yngwie, and it also sounded pretty kickass
Nekrogoblikon
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
I like it in power, melodic death, folk, and black metal. One of my favorite things to hear is a nice harmonized keyboard/guitar lead melody or solo. I'm thinking now it would be cool to hear a speed metal band with keyboards.
Dead soldier! Go now to Valhalla!
keyboards in metal are really cool if used right. they add an epic sound.

i like 'em.
METALLICA.
Hmmm, speed metal with keyboards? Could be interesting...or a total disaster. See, the thing is with keyboards I think there used best when they just add lots of atmosphere to the songs(I do like CoB though) For example, Emperor does this wonderfully in my opinion, you just have to get through the fuzz
-I also think Ihsahn's new album uses great keyboards(but not sure) I guess Dimmu uses some good orchestral keyboards but it's kinda become dumb and overdone. The Sins of thy Beloved duse keyboards well too if your into that kind of stuff
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

Quote by CaptainOfSmug
Hmmm, speed metal with keyboards? Could be interesting...or a total disaster. See, the thing is with keyboards I think there used best when they just add lots of atmosphere to the songs(I do like CoB though) For example, Emperor does this wonderfully in my opinion, you just have to get through the fuzz
-I also think Ihsahn's new album uses great keyboards(but not sure) I guess Dimmu uses some good orchestral keyboards but it's kinda become dumb and overdone. The Sins of thy Beloved duse keyboards well too if your into that kind of stuff

agreed
if done tastefully i like it i also really like piano's in songs like Ihsahn did on The Adversary. I dont like keyboards like in CoB and dream theater......yes i said dream theater

in the end i think i like more without than with keyboards
Quote by greety

Yes we also shot JFK and faked the moon landing here at the UG Metal Forum.
Edge of Sanity.

That is all.
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Yeah, I like keyboards due to the fact of 7 years of Piano
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

No a big fan of keyboards. It's alright if it adds some atmosphere or if its not used that much. That can get annoying really really fast though.
Ride the dragon toward the crimson eye...

Vaginal Destruction

^ Do you like sludgey stoner/doom? Well then you should try Vaginal Destruction
I usually dislike Dragonforce-esque keyboard wankage, but it all really depends on the sub-genre. Sometimes they are used really well.
La mayyitan ma qadirun yatabaqqa sarmadi
Fa idha yaji' al-shudhdhadh fa-l-maut qad yantahi

Raptoral judgement upon all our sins
This placid island of ignorance
I like them when they are used to create atmosphere, but I hate COB and Nocturnus-style keyboard wankery, its annoying. I like them when they are used sparingly
It was funny watching Vadim from Dragonforce do some keyboard solos. Simpsons theme FTW
Quote by rabidguitarist
manowar.

on the subject:
anyone else notice that the film '300' is like... manowar: the movie?

Quote by morbid_death
Sam, you are my hero.

Metallurgy. Traditional Metal from Brisbane
http://www.myspace.com/metallurgy
It depends. Opeth sound more solid and textured with them, and I love most of my power metal bands to have them. I don't really like them with black metal though, I like black metal cold and harsh. "GRYM", if you will. Emperor is certainly an exception.
Quote by HavenSake
It depends. Opeth sound more solid and textured with them, and I love most of my power metal bands to have them. I don't really like them with black metal though, I like black metal cold and harsh. "GRYM", if you will. Emperor is certainly an exception.

Actaully most black metal uses a keyboard somewhere and some how, it is usually mixed real low, or I guess I shouldn't say usually, but you get my point
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

definately good, adds to the songs in my opinion, Children of Bodom for example, brilliant keyboard in that, Dragonforce as well
Quote by B.O.N.Guitarist
definately good, adds to the songs in my opinion, Children of Bodom for example, brilliant keyboard in that, Dragonforce as well

I'm sorry, that's just funny because another post said they like the atmosphere the keyboards have, not like CoB and DF

Either way, I like some board wank in some songs, but mostly I like the way it adds to the music and not like OMG TIME TO WANK!!! TINGALINGALING TONG WONTING TONG!!!
All Hail! The Kala-Kala Chieftain!
^LOL Cody, yeah from what I've heard of keyboards in Metal I would say more often than not they are good.

I think if you notice the keyboardist before the other instruments (not including solos/interludes etc) then it is probably too much, that goes double for the "Looney Tunes" type keyboard sound and half for the dark, textured ambient keyboard lines.
Last edited by Monkey_Bassist at Jan 5, 2007,
I only really like keyboards in metal songs if they accent the guitars like in the Emperor album In The Nightside Eclipse.
I like it a lot in Black Metal like Borknagar or Emperor and in others if it works.
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
i like keyboards in metal as long as the band knows how to do it well
Quote by MartiniKiss7
I like it a lot in Black Metal like Borknagar or Emperor and in others if it works.

Godd taste you rock
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero

Tvangeste, Dimmu Borgir , Covenant.. I dont need to say more.
I put a dollar in a change machine. Nothing changed.
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
Godd taste you rock

thank you

Also Dream Theater has great keyboards
and I like the keyboards on Ghost Reveries
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is