I need help finding a pack of strings. I always thaught all strings were the same but i dont wanna make a supid mistake. so instead ill ask a stupid question . anyways, i mostly play trivium, bullet for my valentine, atreyu, and the guitar im putting them on is in low c. (the strings on my drop d are still fine) anyhow, im not sure what brand to get, i like those DR colored ones, but are they any good? also, i dont know which size. i usually play 9s or 10s, but wouldnt mind trying out 11s or 12s, (i dont think id like 13s, my fingers arent made of steel, lol) if its recomended. another reason im asking what size (since im pretty sure its personal preference) is when i got my guitar built and the guy was putting strings on it e asked what size. my dad said either 9 or 10s. he took a tape measure and said oh yeah, he needs 10s. can someone tell me what he did exactly to know that?
is low c tuning just tune low E to C or is it full 2 steps down on each string? If its the 1st one 10s will be fine, an 11/10 set which has heavier bass strings and lighter high strings would be good too. if its full 2 steps down you might need 11s and up.

i have no idea what your dad did. a tape measurer isnt accurate enough to measure the gauge of the string.

dr makes good strings but idk the difference btwn the regular and colored ones. i have a set of dr pure nickel blues on my guitar and they are pretty good.
2006 Fender Deluxe Players Strat w/ Stephens Design Mojo pickups
Gibson SG Special
Carvin DC727 w/ Bareknuckle Nailbomb 7 and CWP 7
Mesa Boogie Mark IV head
Mesa Boogie 2x12 Cab MC90/EV200w

VP of Carvin Club but call me Il Duce
well I would go 10 or 11+ for playing in drop C... But if you play 13's in standard, probably even .12s, it could warp your neck, so take note of that. For price, I would look for something around 10 dollars Canadian, they should last you a while.
If you want Drop C, get 11's, no lighter. 13's are great for Drop B, and your dad took a lucky guess. you can't determine what gauge strings a person needs with a tape measure. Sorry to ruin the magic, but the gauge of string necessary goes by tuning and preference, not measurement. For standard tuning, i wouldn't go any thicker than 10's. 13s in standard run a good risk of hurting the neck, and if you're detuning a good deal (more than a step), get your truss rod and intonation adjusted to match. Peace.
As for string BRAND, I'm a full endorser of GHS and Ernie Ball. GHS are a little more loose feeling, eg. easier to bend, etc. THeyll run you about 5 bucks american.
GHS Boomers and Elixers are very good strings. If you can find Elixers in 11's or 12's, go for them if you want low-tuned.
Quote by TJM2482
GHS Boomers and Elixers are very good strings. If you can find Elixers in 11's or 12's, go for them if you want low-tuned.

Elixers cost 15 bucks a pack - no string is worth 15 bucks. sorry.
get some regular DR Titewound 11's. The tension will be nice for drop tunings, and still butter to bend.

EDIT: and for what you dad did, he measured the length of the neck. He didn't want you to get 9's because they would be really loose on your guitar.
UG RPG - Big Band Jazz Group
Buckethead4Prez - String Bass

PM me to Join
i use 12's on a baritone that has a 27'' scale length and they suit perfectly for drop C tuning...
Jackson DK 27 baritone With Emg 81/60
Peavey Envoy 110
Boss MT-2

If something simply cannot go wrong, it will anyway.
Coloured strings ... are dull, they are more towards jazzy tones

ide go with .11's/.12's for drop tunings so your Low e doesnt get to rattly & muddy ...

brand... DR
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
Quote by ohmerrymayhem
Elixers cost 15 bucks a pack - no string is worth 15 bucks. sorry.

They're $10 and they last 3x longer than other strings, and feel smooth and play fast. Strings that last 3x as long and feel like butter ARE worth $10 bud.
If ya think you need fingers made of steel for 13's, I use 17's on my drop tune guitar. ( a 5 string epi...)
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by TJM2482
They're $10 and they last 3x longer than other strings, and feel smooth and play fast. Strings that last 3x as long and feel like butter ARE worth $10 bud.

They dont last three times longer than my GHS man, and the nanoweb coating does not make it feel like "butter" as you put it. In the end, it's preference, but if they last three times longer than your other strings, you'r eplayin thhe other ones too hard.
Im using 11ns on my drop D, works great so for drop C you would probably need 12s
I'd go with D'addarios (sp) they last me a really long time, and they are really good for tuning down the guitar