Don't talk! If you guys kick ass you can, saw Tool this summer and the singer just said "hi" after two songs and then said "peace.............out" before the last song and I did not give a shit because they rocked. Just introduce your songs, is everybody having a good time, same old shit nobody cares, they came to hear music right?
Quote by zackk
seriously though, listen to DaliLama.
Quote by Arthur Curry
My spidey sense tells me some mothafuckas are gonna be BANNED.
Introduce songs, don't ask them direct questions or make jokes or anything that would need a response ( laughing or ceering or anything ) cause if it backfires and you get silence, you're gonna feel just great eh?
Start your show with "You wanted the best? You got the best! The Greatest band in the land [your bands name]!"
I love this job more than I love taffy ... and I'm a man who enjoys his taffy
I always had a few token lines to use. The best response I ever got was yelling "Who likes the Arctic Monkeys? (very brief pause) Well then you might as well go home because you aint gonna be hearing that sh*t tonight!" *riff*. Good times It was a small gig full of people who knew me though, which is why I got away with it...
Feel free to ignore my ranting.

Member of the Self-Taught Club.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who isn't a close-minded moron.
Yeah, if you don't feel like talking or whatever, it's not like you have to. Especially if you're a new not so well known band, nobody -wants- to listen you talk much anyway, most likely. Just play your set well, introduce your best songs - DO NOT introduce all of them, only name the ones you like the most, you get a better chance people will remember them that way :p
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Quote by ar73m
Yeah, if you don't feel like talking or whatever, it's not like you have to. Especially if you're a new not so well known band, nobody -wants- to listen you talk much anyway, most likely. Just play your set well, introduce your best songs - DO NOT introduce all of them, only name the ones you like the most, you get a better chance people will remember them that way :p

Yeah, my last band did the "introduce every song" thing. It's annoying. My band now wanted me to do that, I just said hell no.
Try to add some humor to it, unless you're playing at a venue that would not appreciate your joke about pirates. Crowd interaction changes your set from music to an actual show. This will allow you to get some fame as being a band to see to have a good time. You could look at some other bands to get some ideas but stealing directly would be a bad idea. If nothing else you can introduce yourself as another band play, the beggining of one of their songs then go into one of your's, has worked for me before. Shouting 'Who wants to hear Under The Sea" is a good way to get people relaxed, especially if you play ska and can actually play it.
no need to speak unless you have a specific thing to say, play your ass off, have energy and have fun
www.myspace.com/symmetry4321

Quote by RockerPseudonym
I think stone is either 7 or 14 lbs

Edit I'm gonna go with 14 because it's rather unlikely you're 56 pounds

Quote by evening_crow
sounds like....u need a...

BAND MEETING!!!
i don't personally like to talk a whole lot during shows. But introduce a few songs, but never the first one, come on playing.
i always loved this quote from john mayer:

"this song is called gravity, or gravity.mp3 depending on how you listen to me, its ok"
My Gear:
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Epiphone Sheraton II
Fender Blues Deluxe Reissue
Teese RMC Picture Wah
MXR Carbon Copy
Keeley Modded TS9
Korg Pitchblack
Schecter Omen 6
Dean Performer Acoustic

If you are no good at talking to the audience, just get a talkbox and make the guitar talk to them :P
I like analogue Solid State amps that make no effort to be "tube-like", and I'm proud of it...

...A little too proud, to be honest.
i once say a ska band at a local place and one of the guitarists actually put his guitar down, went into the crowd and started skanking with them

it was actually a lot cooler than it sounds
Get some hand clapping... even the smallest subtle change of your behavior on stage during a song can get the crowd into it. Try to get most of the band talking and don't be afraid to poke fun at each other. I recommend having one or 2 jokes planned out, otherwise just improvise.
Go watch old Jethro Tull concerts
Ian Anderson was a master of crowd banter
Guitars
MIM Fender Telecaster
Art & Lutherie Cedar
1969 EKO Ranchero
G&L Tribute L2500

Amps
Traynor YCV40WR
Yorkville BM400H
Peavey TVX 4x10

Effects
Behringer DSP1000
Dunlop GCB95 Wah
Digitech HotRod
BBE Sonic Stomp
If its a sing along kind of song, try to get the crowd involved and make them feel like they're part of it, its what Buddy Guy does.
^ I endorse the mke fun of other band members idea. I saw it once when a local band was performing, the music wasn't that great but the jokes were quite nice.
Changed signature after 4 years.

Will take some time to make a new one.
One word of advise:

When you're playing a charity show, don't say "thanks to all the little kids in Africa for letting us play tonight"

Talk to your band members like blink-182, I think they are the kings of controlling a crowd and getting a crowd interested. That\\\\\\\'s what my bands lead guitarest and I(bass) do. Tell some corny jokes that the crowd knows your obviously not being serious about, it usually goes over well, and if it doesn\\\\\\\'t oh well! Have the time of your life your on stage doing what you love to do! If the crowd doesn\\\\\\\'t appreciate that as is then to hell with them!

*But it\\\'s good to get the crowd involved when playing, just get them laughing, or introduce your next song in such an outrageous way that they will have to stay to watch it!*
let loose, have fun. people pick up on that crap. don't be too stiff and serious, or the crowd will be. if you are light hearted and having a good time, the crowd will be too.

but more than anything, its about confidence. in yourself, your bandmates, and your music. ex: (borrowed from my hockey coach): marty broduer. that man has got to be the worst goalie i have ever seen. he is always just flopping around and shit. but for some reason he thinks he is good as shit, and he acts like it.
so even if your music may not be platinum material, and you may not be the best showman, or you may even be the worst, you just need to believe you are the best; that you are great.

and on a side note, the crowd, as soon as you step on stage, is 99% of the time on your side. why else would they pay to come listen to your music? its about confidence, and having fun.
Quote by Zeus2716
and on a side note, the crowd, as soon as you step on stage, is 99% of the time on your side. why else would they pay to come listen to your music? its about confidence, and having fun.

Unless of course, you are the support for a huge band with crazy fans

Or about to play a huge festival

if its a big enough stage, tell people to jump up on stage with you.
Make sure you have some friends in the crowd who will do it first though because i went to a concert and one of the bands there tried to do it. Everyone just sat there and looked at them. I was thinking dayamm rejected.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

I hate when stupid little local bands run their mouth off, telling me "I wanna see you mother****ers up here! Yeah, get the **** up here or else! I want you in my FACE!"

Don't do that.
Quote by stringmagician
I hate when stupid little local bands run their mouth off, telling me "I wanna see you mother****ers up here! Yeah, get the **** up here or else! I want you in my FACE!"

Don't do that.

That ruins a performance for me

Machoness sucks
Quote by stringmagician

Don't do that.

yeah im not saying do crap like that. get some friends up on stage and just have a good time. dont try and pull that crap.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!