i got a epiphone sg and im thinkin of puttin new pickups in.
i want high gain yet nice cleans. passive please.

seymour duncan or dimarzio preferred.

any suggestions?
Read his post bro. He said passive.

Anyways, I am in the same situation and I was looking at the Seymour Duncan SH-4 JB for the bridge, and am in need of a neck...

EDIT: Possibly a custom or custom custom
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
Last edited by ibanez_rocker at Jan 4, 2007,
i got a epiphone sg and im thinkin of puttin new pickups in.
i want high gain yet nice cleans. passive please.

seymour duncan or dimarzio preferred.

any suggestions?

High gain and good cleans don't go together, but if you modify the wiring you can do it. For an SG I'd avoid major high gain pickups becasue you don't want to kill the guitar's character. Seymour Duncan Custom/ Pearly Gates combo would be nice, possibly a pair of Distortions if you want things a bit treblier and more aggressive. If you wanted Dimarzios then a Norton/Breed neck would work well.

Humbuckers don't do cleans brilliantly, but to save fiddling with the volume knob you can wire the pickups with a puch/pull switch. With that, you can have them switch between normal operation and either a coil split or paralell wiring...both will give you an option for reduced output which is handy for cleans.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
yeh i was leaning towards teh seymour duncan custom bridge and jazz, 59' or pearly gates combination. just not sure if their good enough for metal
JB / Jazz would work pretty well for metal. Or the Duncan Distortions Meyhem. I have the generic "Duncan Designed" Sh-6 combo, the cleans are actually decent.
My Gear-

Guitars
- Schecter Gryphon
- Ibanez GRX40

Amp/Effects

- Crate FXT65 With DSP
- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic

My Choice
- DR 9's
- Dunlop 2mm
yeh i was leaning towards teh seymour duncan custom bridge and jazz, 59' or pearly gates combination. just not sure if their good enough for metal

Depends how versatile you want your guitar to be - you could get an ulta high output "distortion" pickup, but they only do one kind of sound well. If you don't think your pickups are hot enough there's a dozen ways of adding dirt or boosting the signal. If they're too hot it's damned awkward to attenuate the signal without sacrificing tone.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by ibanez_rocker
JB / Jazz would work pretty well for metal. Or the Duncan Distortions Meyhem. I have the generic "Duncan Designed" Sh-6 combo, the cleans are actually decent.

yeah the jazz is good for cleans. I'm not a big fan of the jb for distortion. Maybe you could pair the sh-2 with a SH-5 duncan custom
Ibanez RGT42DXFX with emg 81/85
Schecter C1-Classic
Vox AD30VT
Knock off P-Bass
Quote by MetalAddictex50
definitely emg....i'd go with the 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge

God you are an idiot.

To threadstarter, listen to steven. Although I would go with the Dimarzio Norton/Breed neck combo.
Better to get a pair of good clean pickups, and add the distortion later, than try to get pickups that do both well.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
out of all of the replies I've not seen one person say it, so here it is...

Gibson 57 classic!!!!!!!!!!

the pickups are versatile, tone actually not covered up with extremely hot distortion sound, so you are getting your good tone from tone and not extremely high output
ide vouche for the JB as a good dist. pup ... i have one on my Lp and i love it ... you can great a crazy range of tones from it ... it does give that heavy edge
Rig:
-Jackson Soloist: SL2HT (On its way to Canada)
-Epiphone Les Paul Gothic w/ SD JB (Process of Modding)
-Art & Lutherie Spruce CW
-Dunlop Crybaby (Process of Modding)

For Sale
-Peavey Valveking 112
pm me for info
i just got the Esp Ltd Alexi-600 for christmas and it has an EMG-hz pickup and there passive, the distortion sound is great but clean sounds arent as good. I also have an epiphone sg and the pickups are amazing for everything. But i would'nt recomend getting EMG's if u want a good clean sound
Quote by MetalAddictex50
definitely emg....i\'d go with the 81 in the neck and 85 in the bridge

The guy said passive pickup.

And the 81 goes in the bridge and the 85 goes in the neck.
Dimarzio X2N... ive got it! It kicks ass!! blows away all other atempts to raise the gain! :P God Luck!
"I never liked those Deep Purples or those sort of things. I always hated it. I always thought it was a poor man’s Led Zeppelin"
// Angus Young

+1
Quote by Syn666Gates
im in australia so its really hard to get bill lawrence pickups

Im in Australia and have Bill Lawrence pickups in stock. Cheaper than Seymours or EMGs. Call me.

Regards,
Perry Ormsby

Pevious builds:
HERE!
i think i'll stick with the seymour duncan jazz neck and custom bridge.
thanks for the help guys.
SMOKY COILS, or the stock hums on a gibson menace. if you want good clean in the neck and mad distortion in the bridge why not try and mod the neck for a singlecoil? nvm dumb answer yeah get something jazzy in the neck.