when you play a note, and you hit the string with your thumb right after hitting it with you pick, it can create a harmonic. You need to find the right spot on the string for it though. Experiment a bit.
Mark G is talking about a pinch harmonic, FL is talking about a natural harmonic.
both sound awesome

pepsi
Quote by FLrhcpEA
put ur finger right above a fret but dont push down and pluck the string

yup, put your finger on the string but not pushing it down, then pick it/pluck/whatever and it should create it.

i believe Mark G was talking about a pinch harmonic and not a natural harmonic

ugh, beaten to it
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
natural harmonic: put your finger over a fret without pressing down and pluck it (it works best on the 5th, 7th, and 12th fret.

artificial harmonic: immediately after you pluck a note hit it lightly with your thumb (the one holding the pick) it only works in certain places on the fretboard
my band

ESP LTD Viper 400
Ibanez RG4EXQM1
Squier Fat Strat

Peavey EVH 5150
Peavey XXX Head
Roland Cube 30
Carvin 4x12 Cab
B-52 4x12 Cab

Boss GE-7
Boss NS-2
EH Big Muff Pi (Russian)
try gettin a harmonic like an inch off the fretboard over the pickups theres a chalenge!find the several spots where that works!
What have we learned.....

Words are weightless here on earth,
because they're free

.....from this wee exercise?
Quote by 2112swartz
natural harmonic: put your finger over a fret without pressing down and pluck it (it works best on the 5th, 7th, and 12th fret.

artificial harmonic: immediately after you pluck a note hit it lightly with your thumb (the one holding the pick) it only works in certain places on the fretboard

btw where are those places for an artificial harmonic?

because they're free

try gettin a harmonic like an inch off the fretboard over the pickups theres a chalenge!find the several spots where that works!

It's not actually that hard....the natural harmonics are mirrored with the 12th fret being the centre of the string, so a harmonic you can hit at the 5th fret can also be found the same distance from the bridge.

If you want the (very simplified...it's been a long time since I did physics) technical gubbins, a string vibrates as a standing wave, the wavelength being the length of the string. If you damp a wave at certain points (nodes) you alter the vibration and produce harmonics, the first harmonic (which is half the wavelength ie the 12th fret) is the same as the fundamental (open note), the second harmonic is 1/3 of the wavelength or the 7th fret, the 3rd harmonic is 1/4 of the wavelength (5th fret) etc...or something like that anyway!

You can hit an artificial (pinch) harmonic anywhere on the fretboard, however you may have to vary where you pick the string...somewhere over the neck pickup is usually good.

There are also tapped artificial harmonics, where you fret a note and tap directly on a higher fret, 12th is easiest.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jan 5, 2007,
^^i know theyre not that hard now i got off the comp after posting that and realised just how easy it was

because they're free