Alright. So I'm still on Christmas break from college (w00t!), and I've been playing up to around 6 or so hours a day. I've been playing scales, do chromatics, reading theory, the usual stuff. I'm actually starting to develop a sweeping technique that I've tried on and off for the last 6 months or so. I've been trying to get a balanced practice schedule going, but I have that problem of drifting off into something else instead of staying on task. Plus the wooden stool I have to sit on really hurts my ass after a while, but that is off-topic.

Anyways, I haven't become "bored" of playing scales and stuff to a metronome and whatnot, I just want to do something different for practice. Which comes to my question:
Is opting to learn to play songs THE ENTIRE WAY THROUGH AND EXACTLY TO THE BEAT an inefficient way to practice compared to what one would normally consider practicing? I'm talking stuff like master of puppets and stairway to heaven or aces high - songs that aren't too hard, but they contain a lot of variety, at least in my opinion. I've noticed that I may know a chorus and the whole solo to one song or another, or parts of another, ect, but I don't know many intricate songs the entire way through, while playing them exactly to a beat in my head. I figure this all goes with the "learn music by playing music" ideology that some people hold, I'm just curious at to what this is saying about my attitude to guitar or whatnot. Basically am I being lazy?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Last edited by lespaulrocks39 at Jan 4, 2007,
Learning songs can only take you so far, perhaps you should try using what you've learnt and attempting to write things of your own

Also, get a new chair
I had that problem for awhile - at the least the knowing alot of parts but not much all the way through part. I'd say don't worry as much about getting the timing and stuff perfect. Just take any song one line at a time, learn that line really damn well, but don't nitpick. Then do the next. Then the next. Then the next. Etc, etc... Thats what I did. I found that if I just really concentrate on each part and devote alot of attention to it, I can learn whole songs fairly easily.
El Gearo:

Fender '69 Reissue Mustang
Fender American Standard P-Bass

Fender Blues Junior
Quote by GiantRaven
Learning songs can only take you so far, perhaps you should try using what you've learnt and attempting to write things of your own

Also, get a new chair

I'm trying to find a pillow that would fit comfortably on the chair. Man, something about stools that make you practice more. A comfy computer chair makes me want to kick back and fall to sleep lol. I realize that learning songs can only do so much, but it's a fun way to develop technique, and when you feel things are getting monotonous you just pick a song and jam away. Plus there's always that feeling of accomplishment when you can play a badass song the entire way through, while adding your own playing nuances to it. I can tell when my technique from standard practicing is improving, but it's one of those things that it can always get better, and there's really no need to rush getting to play 32nds at 300 bpm. I actually do come up with my own stuff, though it's not from sitting down with the intent to compose - it just happens, like music should. I should probably be more responsible and sit down and work on my theory though, haha.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
I have to watch how I word this, but...not to sidetrack, does anyone else use a stool while practicing? Any recommendations?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Quote by GiantRaven
Its an even better feeling of badassedness to write a cool song

Yeah...I try to make each piece diverse from one another, but that damn pentatonic scale...it's my fingers, they just loves messing around those box shapes when it comes time to improvise...
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Now I feel like I'm just spamming my own thread, but when I was looking for a new barstool I came across this.
What is this world coming to?
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
Quote by lespaulrocks39
Now I feel like I'm just spamming my own thread, but when I was looking for a new barstool I came across this.

haha

Oh god...
Quote by lespaulrocks39

Lol, I wonder who will be the moron that will buy it.
I bet Yngwie has one sitting next to his throne that he sits in all day...and eats doughnuts. :P
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha