ive been playing guitar for 3 years, i wanna write technical death metal stuff like nile, Necrophagist, Cannibal Corpse, etc. well ive made up a few riffs and whatnot but it seems like everytime i go to try and write a new one, ill use the same shape or somthing of the last riff i made. like im stuck in one pattern or somthing, and that makes it hard to make original stuff. and it just seems like im not improving at all. like the guitar gods just keep pushing me back or somthing, i hate it. what do you do if youre stuck like this?
Gear:
Epiphone 1958 Black flyingv
Peavey 5150 Head
Crate cab
Yamaha guitar (1st guitar)
Behringer V-ampire 112
listen to other things. take influence from thrash or even nu-metal. also study jazz theory.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
i love thrash, and nu metal doesnt appeal to me, jazz is cool ill look into that
Gear:
Peavey 5150 Head
Crate cab
Behringer V-ampire 112
dont compare your self to other guitarists. the gonna be better then u it makes you feel bad. play atdfferent tempos, that will help a little.
--Caleb
Quote by caughtinamosh
don't stick your penis in it

MY RIG!
Kramer Striker Custom FR-424 CM
B.c Rich Bronze Warlock
Johnson Electric Acoustic
Zoom GFX-1 Multi Effect pedal
Randall RX25
Behringer Distortion Pedal
Learn some thory, that can really help you break out of the standard minor pent box, major pent, etc. And getting the notes to sound good will come more easly. Its not all hit and guess.
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
but i have, ive been listening to classical, blues...lots of stuff...i dont see how it could help my death metal playing...i would learn some of the stuff i like but somtimes its tuned really low, im afraid my guitar will shit itself
Gear:
Peavey 5150 Head
Crate cab
Behringer V-ampire 112
Quote by Corpse_Defier
but i have, ive been listening to classical, blues...lots of stuff...i dont see how it could help my death metal playing...i would learn some of the stuff i like but somtimes its tuned really low, im afraid my guitar will shit itself

Are you enjoying listening to it? You aren't going to pick anything up from it if you don't enjoy it at least somewhat.
i love classical/celtic finger style songs, i also like alot of blues, not much jazz cept the drums
Gear:
Peavey 5150 Head
Crate cab
Behringer V-ampire 112
so, you want to write tech death metal songs, but you don't know how to play any?

that's probably your problem... you dont need to tune exactly to it, as long as it's the same type. meaning, standard, dropped, whatever.
Quote by ouchies
so, you want to write tech death metal songs, but you don't know how to play any?

that's probably your problem... you dont need to tune exactly to it, as long as it's the same type. meaning, standard, dropped, whatever.

ya i guess thats true, most of the time i see its tuned low and automatically close it...im a dumbass
Gear:
Peavey 5150 Head
Crate cab
Behringer V-ampire 112
try to expand what kinds of music you are listening to, so you can get a feel for what kind of stuff different people are playing. It will help so your not just trying to play one certain genre if you know what I mean.
Well, life is too short, so love the one you got
'Cause you might get runover or you might get shot
Quote by Aikoe
Quit.

sounds good, but no
Gear:
Peavey 5150 Head
Crate cab
Behringer V-ampire 112