Hi new here, i just have a question. My parents are ok with me buying an electric guitar, but they want me to buy a used one from a pawn shop (im like F*** NO), i want to buy a new one. I dont want a used to because, for one thing its used , and it might have some problems with it and i dont want to deal with all that. I just want to know what you guys think i should do...

also, i have no experience in guitar, i do have a acoustic guitar that i had for a bit, but didnt really learn much and i gave up on since i just plain dont like the sound of it, im more into rock |..| >_< |..|
(its for sale if anyone is interested https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497996 )
Got any mates who play guitar? Take them shopping for a second hand one, they should be able to tell if its any good

If you can find a cheap one that plays OK, you might as well stick with that for a little bit until your parents let you get a new one.

The fact that you have an acoustic but you don't like it is probably somethting do with the fact that your parents won't buy a new, expensive, electric
remember that song Jukebox Hero by Foriengner ( i beleive its by them)
"bought a beat up six string, in a second hand store"
its ok to have a used guityar if you have the fire and wanna rock!!!!
Quote by fil69
Hu r emos???

Quote by .Sidewinder.
could someone translate that last post for me please?
Thanks for the reply harvey and strat.
No i dont have any friends that play guitar...

and thats exactly what my parents said, i do mean EXACT. My mom did say that she saw a good one (by the condition) at a pawn shop for like $100, but she nor I know if its good or not. ima have to go and check it out tommorow and then look it up (or mabye some of you could help me?) on the internet.
Last edited by elTowelie at Jan 4, 2007,
since i dont know much about electric guitars. what else besides an amp would i need?
Quote by Bing
you gottalook for things like fretwear, string buzzing and cracks. look down the neck and make sure its not twisted or extremely bowed

thanks for this bing. i will look for these things when i go check them out.
Quote by elTowelie
since i dont know much about electric guitars. what else besides an amp would i need?

what i ment by this is, i see sometimes poeple step on this box thing. i dont know what its called, but it changes how the guitar sounds. i dont know if it that things or something else. but could someone clarify me on what this thing is?
It's called a "WA" pedal and you don't need it especially if you're just starting. All you need is a guitar, an amp and a chord. And some people say it's better to start with a used guitar than to buy a brand new one, I would recomend an old strat.
dude if you really want to p[lay you shouldnt care weither its new or not, as long as it works. also you dont need any effects pedals starting out. But yeah if you get a pawn shop guitar make sure it works and feels alright when you play it. dont leave without playing it through an amp.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Also the box thing may be a wah pedal but it may also be another type of effect. Each effect changes the way a guitar sounds or how it performs. A wah pedal shifts the frequency or sound of the guitar by stepping on the pedal. A wah pedal works like a teeter totter and makes the guitar sound either higher in pitch or lower in pitch depending on weather or not you step down or up. Hope this helps
wah doest effect pitch, it effects the timbre, its essentially a tone control in a pedal with a wider sweep than a normal guitar tone knob.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by elTowelie
Hi new here, i just have a question. My parents are ok with me buying an electric guitar, but they want me to buy a used one from a pawn shop (im like F*** NO), i want to buy a new one. I dont want a used to because, for one thing its used , and it might have some problems with it and i dont want to deal with all that. I just want to know what you guys think i should do...

also, i have no experience in guitar, i do have a acoustic guitar that i had for a bit, but didnt really learn much and i gave up on since i just plain dont like the sound of it, im more into rock |..| >_< |..|
(its for sale if anyone is interested https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=497996 )

I would suggest going to go to your local store like Guitar Center and see if they have any clearance guitars. Their clearance guitars are very well worth it and they are not used at all (unless its marked as USED). They are currently having a year-end clearance right now, this weekend. For a guitar worth the money, take a look at my guitar. Do some google'ing and you will find this guitar for a cheap price. It sounds very well compared to guitars that cost up to $700.00.
elTowelie,

Nice used guitar have a lot of advantages:

- no headaches if you ding them

- no headaches spoiling the factory setup if you feel like improving it

- fortunately defects that slipped through quality control (factories gotta keep costs down you know) have already been dealt with by the previous owner:
--- like sharp saddles that break strings
--- stiff or loose tuners
--- tight, sticky nut slots that prevent strings from stretching freely
--- less than dry, changing neck that warps within 6 months after purchase
--- cold solders that break loose

I have a bunch of valuable guitars that I bought new but, I know, I'll NEVER EVER take out of their cases except in recording studios. At the same time, they are never the best sounding. Nevertheless, I consider them more as a financial investment than as tools of the trade.

For real rehearsal, stage and studio use, I bought the same guitars second-hand, dinged all over, no fancy colors or inlays, but they do the job well and are reliable. These I call my breadwinners.

On which continent are you located ?
this might seem kinda funny....but today (more like 15 minutes ago) i was at walmart...i had $150 dollars in my pocket...the firstact guitar was there...i was there...and i went and bought it. i know yall probably think im stupid now! :P

but o well. it was my decision.
ur an idiot.
Knowledge speaks, but wisdom listens.

When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

-Jimi Hendrix-

Quote by CodySG
You know you're in the drug thread when you see pictures of squash and "tuna nigga!" when you click the page.
Quote by elTowelie
this might seem kinda funny....but today (more like 15 minutes ago) i was at walmart...i had $150 dollars in my pocket...the firstact guitar was there...i was there...and i went and bought it. i know yall probably think im stupid now! :P

You live, you learn.

Keep playing until your folks don't have any hesitation to you buying new.

When you sound good on a crap guitar - that's when you know you sound good.
Posers are like punks, except they do it for fashion

notUG PUNK FORUM PRESIDENT!
If there's nothing wrong with the guitar...just go get it.

I mean, my frist guitar...i wanted it to be new since it WAS my first guitar...but now, I'm alright with used gear, it's eventually going to get worn and torn, and it's at a discounted price!
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by elTowelie

I wouldn't have advised buying a first act guitar from wallmart, especially if it was $150. That much money would have gotten you a better guitar at a local shop or guitar center. Still, its a starter guitar, and you can learn on it without much problem. Practice hard, get better then you can upgrade.
GEAR

Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Standard Plus
Marshall JCM 800 half stack
Actually, you probably did ok, those first act guitars are better than alot of guitars I've seen in pawnshops, I think they probably compare with a squire strat,(squire is a cheaper sub company of fender).
well good news! the amp that came with it didnt work. so ima go tommorow and get a refund. I guess ill go to a few more places to look around. i already when to about 4 places. their guitars were either too banged up, scratched bad, broken. thats why i didnt buy any of them.
i just want to know something. what are some good brands i should look for?
I got my favorite guitar (A Peavey Firenza) for $200 used. Best guitar related purchase I ever made.