I am 52 yrs old and am just starting on the electric guitar. I'm getting a Fender Standard Stratocaster. I don't have a lot of money left over for an amp, and just want something small to start with anyway. I am considering the Marshall MS4 Mini Amp.

I've been looking for reviews on this amp, but cannot find any. What is the opinion here of that amp???????????

Thanks in advance,
db
Quote by db297
I am 52 yrs old and am just starting on the electric guitar. I'm getting a Fender Standard Stratocaster. I don't have a lot of money left over for an amp, and just want something small to start with anyway. I am considering the Marshall MS4 Mini Amp.

I've been looking for reviews on this amp, but cannot find any. What is the opinion here of that amp???????????

Thanks in advance,
db

That little amp with a Fender guitar? I dont think that will work very well. If i were you, I would not get a Fender but rather get an Ibanez RG321 and an Amp that is around 150 bux.

Ibanez RG321 = $250.00
And this amp is not bad too its $110.00

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_marshall_mg15cd_15_watt_combo?full_sku=482799
Last edited by pinoyplaya at Jan 4, 2007,
Quote by pinoyplaya
That little amp with a Fender guitar? I dont think that will work very well. If i were you, I would not get a Fender but rather get an Ibanez RG321 and an Amp that is around 150 bux.

Ibanez RG321 = $350.00
And this amp is not bad too its $110.00

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_marshall_mg15cd_15_watt_combo?full_sku=482799

WTF?

I myself think the fender standard strat is THE beginner guitar, not some weird ibanez shredding strangeness.

I would also warn against both the marshall amps. MG's are awful (and yes, Ive played many) and the mini one may seem good, but you'll want something a little louder after a month of playing (trust me)

I'd recommend a microcube and the strat just look on musiciansfriend.com for the amp

good luck

edit: and yes, I realize i'm being prejudiced about the ibanez, but a begginer will have no use with a 24 fret wizard neck that will be uncomfortable to play

edit 2

threadstarter, that amp (the ms4) is VERY small, it won't be much louder than just playing the electric unplugged...
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Last edited by hamish5178 at Jan 4, 2007,
Quote by hamish5178
WTF?

I myself think the fender standard strat is THE beginner guitar, not some weird ibanez shredding strangeness.

I would also warn against both the marshall amps. MG's are awful (and yes, Ive played many) and the mini one may seem good, but you'll want something a little louder after a month of playing (trust me)

I'd recommend a microcube and the strat just look on musiciansfriend.com for the amp

good luck

edit: and yes, I realize i'm being prejudiced about the ibanez, but a begginer will have no use with a 24 fret wizard neck that will be uncomfortable to play

The reason I suggested the Ibanez guitar was because its $50.00 less than the Fender and with that $50.00, he can get a better amp since he doesn't "have a lot of money leftover for an amp"

And that 15watt Marshall Amp actually sounds really good. Sounds better than Fender Amps that cost up to twice as much.
Your amp is what is going to play a major part in what your guitar sounds like. That means most people here will tell you to spend (with your apparent budget) about 50:50 on your amp and guitar meaning you should get a cheaper guitar, and a way better amp.

For example like the above poster I would get something along the lines of an RG321. I can tell you its a great guitar for the price, and a lot of people will back me up on this one.

As for an amp, I would stay away from MGs, I've tried one out and to be honest the sound you get is far from nice (muddy, very hard to get a defined tone out of it). A Roland Cube amp is a good idea..read around on the reviews on UG to see what you can find too.

RG321:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG321-Electric-Guitar?sku=512492

Then considering you were spending about 450$ seeing the stanrd strat cost, I can imagine getting the Roland Cube 30X:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-30X-Amp-with-COSM?sku=487032X

That would be a very good start in my oppinion...

flickr you might
Quote by MrCarrot
Oranges are actually a revolution though - they're the next step from Rectos IMO.
Here's an amp you might also want to consider if you want to stick with a Fender....

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-25R-Frontman-Series-II-Guitar-Combo?sku=480669

Personally, in my opinion, I would actually spend more money on the Amp than the Guitar. The amp can make a bad sounding guitar sound a bit better.

My amp actually cost twice as much as my guitar and its just crazy sounding.
Sorry I mistyped the price for the RG321. Its actually only $250.00 and with the Fender Standard cost $400.00 (I think) That right there saves you $150.00 and you cant get a decent guitar at around $200.00 and up price range!
I would spend as much, if not more on the amp than the guitar. I have a $140 ibanez, but my amp is great, so i sound like a million bucks. You could try looking around local shops for used amps, the used ones usually sound brand new, and you get a better deal, good luck.
I just want to thank everyone that responded. I really do appreciate the input. Hopefully, in a couple of years I'll be able to give some sound advice.

db
with all due respect, err... 52? just began playing guitar?
Quote by tubab0y
Look at it this way- everyone rags on air guitar here because everyone can play guitar. If we were on a lawn mower forum, air guitar would be okay and they would ridicule air mowing.

Quote by km-r
with all due respect, err... 52? just began playing guitar?

is there something wrong with that? It is never too late to start something new. At least you learned something before you rest in peace.
yep - 52 and just starting. No offense taken. I've been a Clapton fan since the 60's. Last year a rare back disease kicked in and I am now disabled. I have all day now to do what I always wanted to do, and that's to learn to play the guitar. I figure I can spend 6-8 hours a day practicing. My trouble is I'm a perfectionist, thus I will never be as good as I want to be no matter how good I get. If I can play "Old Love" even 90% like Clapton did in his 1998 Live at Hyde Park DVD then I will be happy though. Even if it takes me 10 years.

Anyway, no matter how old you are, it's never too late to learn and pursue your dream.

I hope you all pursure your dreams and wish you all good luck.

db
Quote by db297
yep - 52 and just starting. No offense taken. I've been a Clapton fan since the 60's. Last year a rare back disease kicked in and I am now disabled. I have all day now to do what I always wanted to do, and that's to learn to play the guitar. I figure I can spend 6-8 hours a day practicing. My trouble is I'm a perfectionist, thus I will never be as good as I want to be no matter how good I get. If I can play "Old Love" even 90% like Clapton did in his 1998 Live at Hyde Park DVD then I will be happy though. Even if it takes me 10 years.

Anyway, no matter how old you are, it's never too late to learn and pursue your dream.

db

well put, man. Never too young. I'm 17 and wish i started sooner! =D
Quote by JDawg4098
well put, man. Never too young. I'm 17 and wish i started sooner! =D

Ye im 18 and wish i started sooner too.

My trouble is I'm a perfectionist, thus I will never be as good as I want to be no matter how good I get.

When playing a guitar, dont try to be a perfectionist as it causes you to stop and start all over again.
Example:
When you strum in perfect sync then you wanted to switch from chord D to C, dont always try to get it right, just try your best to get from D to C and when you make a mistake, dont stop, continue strumming and correct the mistake while strumming. Otherwise you won't be playing smoothly.
You're never too old (no pun intended...erm, sir ) or too young to play the guitar, it's just practice that matters.

You know, i wouldn't mind getting to just play around with.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
I believe everyone has the ideology that they will never be as good as they want to be at guitar, which plays a big part in driving us to practice more and more.|

But back to the topic, I would actually buy the fender and get one of these.
I was also biased against mini amps until my friend played his squier through one, and it sounded pretty decent and at just the right volume. Hell, I'm getting one for my dorm because my valve junior is too loud, and I don't quite like practicing without an amp.
Schecter Loomis
LTD Horizon
Ibanez RGA121
Marshall DSL100
Peavey 5150

Quote by emagdnimasisiht
haha
This is the funniest thing i've ever read on UG.
lespaulrocks39, you sir are awesome.
Quote by db297

db

Seriously, if you want to play Clapton, go for the strat, not one of these low end ibanez guitars. I suggest you get a small fender amp over a marhsall MG, as they are trash. Best luck to you! Hobbies can be picked up whenever as long as you put at least a little bit of time into them each day.
thread starter ive been playing forever. trust me, get the fender is u want it, but instead of that MG pick up a vox DA5.

VOX practice AMP + Fender = heaven.

MG = bees in a box.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
What about the Epiphone All Access package?

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-All-Access-Amp-Pack?sku=480268

This is what I have. It sounds fine to me... but I don't have a good ear. For example, I have to use a digital tuner.
"Smells Like Teen Spirit IS hard to play... Gosh!" - So Says Napolean Dynamite

Stagg X300-BK
Epiphone 15 Watt practice amp
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
im sure the epi starter pack sounds fine, and is fine for u. but he's getting a standard fender. and probably shouldnt gear down to that.

and deluxity, ive got the epi too, but i think in this case. that's probably not the "best" choice for this player. as the epi's have great tube sound, but not alot of versatility.

he would need an OD to drive it at bedroom levels, and might be looking to find his tone.
versatilitly is key when ur starting out.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
Last edited by jj1565 at Jan 9, 2007,
Threadstarter, you could also go used on the strat. My first guitar was a standard strat, and I think I payed about 150-250 USD for it used. It was a great deal (I sold it a year later for 300 ).

But yeah, good luck to you, we'll keep an eye on youtube
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
Quote by lespaulrocks39
But back to the topic, I would actually buy the fender and get one of these.
an amp.

for the love of god, do not get the mini-deluxe. It is the worst thing i've ever heard. it comes with built in distortion (you can't get a clean sound) it's terrible. If you play a single string it's bad, but when you try to play chords it sounds like someone's whacking a bag of pissed bees with a shovel. I bought one of the mini-deluxes, and after the first day i had it, it has never come out of the box.
I would try a Vox maybe, my guitar teacher has one, and the room we play in is barely big enough to fit us, and you can hear his accoustic over it easily, so it's not too loud, but it sounds beautiful.