I want to do something with music in college, whether it be major in it or minor in it, I just want to do something. And I want it to be playing and learning music but for the keyboard/piano and not the guitar. What are some things I could major/minor in? What could I do careerwise with this? Would it be hard to get accepted in college and get a schlorship through this?
Quote by Bmm386
Don't be an art major, please.

You have, statistically, a very small chance of making a career out of it, and if you will make it then there's probably not so much of a chance your degree helped you. A degree in art isn't going to get you anywhere else too.

not necessarily, steve vai went to music college ,all of dream theater did and those are the best bands i can think of that did it at the moment.
Quote by Chikitty_China
Well, when I'm fapping, I sometimes look at my left hand and wonder what could have been ....
there are many different fields you can go into for music in college
music performance
theory
history
business
teaching

all that
most majors require you to take a basic keyboarding skills class
though it doesn't get too in depth
Quote by guitarfan93
not necessarily, steve vai went to music college ,all of dream theater did and those are the best bands i can think of that did it at the moment.

nobody in dream theater actually graduated
john mayer dropped out too
etc.

though that's not to say that dropping out will get you anywhere
chances are, it won't.
Quote by guitarfan93

No, Dream Theater is not great all.

**** Collage and go start and a band and have fun with it!!
Quote by Bmm386

You have, statistically, a very small chance of making a career out of it, and if you will make it then there's probably not so much of a chance your degree helped you. A degree in art isn't going to get you anywhere else too.

shut up, numbskull. there is plenty you can do with a music degree
Quote by guitarfan93

I think he mentioned the statistically small chance.

You're better off getting a degree in something you can fall back on and either dual majoring in music, or minoring in it.
MG Free At Last
Quote by guitarfan93

Yes, but do you think Steve Vai needed to go to college to become famous? He would have made it anyway.

Honestly people, if you're going to make it in music, you don't need a degree. Go to college, learn something useful, and if you want then pursue music.
Quote by Bmm386
Yes, but do you think Steve Vai needed to go to college to become famous? He would have made it anyway.

Honestly people, if you're going to make it in music, you don't need a degree. Go to college, learn something useful, and if you want then pursue music.

Music major = teacher.

--Red
"My idea is that there is music in the air, music all around us; the world is full of it, and you simply take as much as you require." - Edward Elgar
Quote by Bmm386

You could always become a studio musician, make lots of money from some nice studio producing pop-stars, and make some good money while looking for a band to join.
BOLD.
Don't let Bmm386 deter you, if its something you're interested in, then I say go for it. I'll be doing a jazz performance major starting this upcoming fall. It's not too hard getting accepted into a good college with a music program, but getting scholarships for anything are really hard.
Quote by jazkel24

Any bands you're trying to copy/sound like?
Okay, here's the deal.

Being a music major is VERY hard. After college there is VERY little you can do with a music degree. There's really 3 main avenues you can choose when you're looking to become a music major- education, industry, or performance.

Performance- you take a lot of theory, ear-training/sight-singing, if you're a pianist, you'll probably do a lot of accompanying, etc. Basically, your job is to practice a shitload.

Education- take the same amount of theory and stuff, but you also take classes that teach you how to do basic stuff on each instrument (drums, mallets, brass, woodwinds, and voice), as well as child-psychology type classes that help with actually teaching, you still have to practice and stuff, but you're not really going to be using that skill after college, because you'll be teaching, not playing

Industry- take about half of the theory, and eartraining/sight singing as everybody else, you also take business classes and learn about various things like production, recording, etc. You still practice, but again, you won't really be using that after school.

In the rock field, I have the same view as Bmm- if you're going to make it as a guitarist/keyboardist/bassist/drummer, then studying that instrument in college isn't really going to help you.

The classical field however is completely different, and that intense training at a music school is almost vital to becoming a professional classical musician.
^I agree with some of that. Being classically trained, or even trained in jazz is much more beneficial than taking contemporary music. More people look for solo pianists to play at weddings and other events more often they do a rock band. Also, if you're REALLY good you might possibly play in a symphony.
Quote by jazkel24

Quote by Hpda5121
^I agree with some of that. Being classically trained, or even trained in jazz is much more beneficial than taking contemporary music. More people look for solo pianists to play at weddings and other events more often they do a rock band. Also, if you're REALLY good you might possibly play in a symphony.

Very rarely do symphonies require pianists.

It would be incredibly hard to make a living as a pianist. Or as a musician in general.
Quote by gibsonpenguin
Very rarely do symphonies require pianists.

It would be incredibly hard to make a living as a pianist. Or as a musician in general.

Yea I was kind of thinking of other instruments at the same time shoulda just kept it to piano.
Quote by jazkel24

Quote by guitarfan93

Steve Vai wagged to transcribe Frank Zappa
This one time I went to fuck my girlfriend, but I forgot it was April Fool's day. Well, I stuck my penis in, and it turns out she had put hot sauce in her pussy. The rest of the night was pretty bad.

0.999... = 1