Page 1 of 7
So who is it?
When I say best, I mean best playing, and most influential.

My vote is definatley robert johnson.
Quote by samerika
Eric clapton for shure.

yeah but clapton (arguably) wouldnt be here if it werent for buddy guy
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
Quote by samerika
Eric clapton for shure.

+1
Eric Clapton for shure.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Too many, B.B. King, Clapton, Hendrix, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Keith Richards just to name a few.
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
Last edited by TheGuitarDreams at Jan 4, 2007,
Im going to have to go all boring, but there is no best

But one thing is for sure, its definitely not Clapton.
Tears in waves, minds on fire
Nights alone by your side
Eric Clapton, because he's very talented and innovative.
Quote by Anorexorcists
I took a dump once and it smelled realy bad and it was like tortue. Or aroma theropy to some.

Quote by B.I.N.
Chord of David, eh?
G Sus, perhaps?

Quote by uncle_jimmy

i fucking blew a guys head up man.
SRV, Clapton, Albert King, and if you want to go delta...gotta go with the delta king...robert johnson...sure no solos...but blues is about letting out what your feeling inside, and telling a story with the guitar...and he did it perfectly
The blues had a child...it was called rock and roll
SRV, Hendrix, and Clapton. All these guys are so innovative and inspiring. They really do show what the blues is all about.
Is it possible to say who the best is, considering the difference in styles within the blues? Perhaps break it down in country, southern, rock, brit revival...

Johnson, Patton, Bo Carter, Missp John Hurt, Elmo, SRV, Eric, Peter Green, Hendrix John Lee H, and that's just the historical figures.
Quote by Strange Angel
Is it possible to say who the best is, considering the difference in styles within the blues?

I guess you're right, but you could also ask "Is it possible for their to be a best blues guitarist?" seeing as you're expressing yourself through the music, and not really attemping to write it like a normal is, instead your writing it to get the feelings down and out in the open.
Quote by Kill Me Again
Eric Clapton, because he's very talented and innovative.

Explain, I'm intrigued.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
I don't know who Robert J was influenced by (was it Charley Patton and a couple other guys around that time? I forget their names but it's been discussed here), but he should definitely be the MOST influential blues player ever. With the exception of Charley Patton (I forgot what this forum decided on as far as spelling goes, so if someone could correct me if I'm wrong that would be awesome), Robert J influenced every single person that's been on this thread (and all of the artists said it themselves). Even though I think, Clapton has the best groove, and SRV has the best technical ability, Robert Johnson is probably the best blues guitarist in terms of influence.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
its funny how everyone says clapton and no bb king
bb king was an influence on any guitar player after 1960.
i dont know many...but imo john mayer is suprisingly good...not the best but still pretty good
Quote by nt1440
i dont know many...but imo john mayer is suprisingly good...not the best but still pretty good

ur right on both accounts. his style still needs to mature but he has not just potential, but kind of an inevitable future ahead of him. im callin it right now that he goes down as one of the best-known musicians of our time
Quote by RHCP94
funkdaddyfresh is a real American
To me, Eric Clapton is the best, but Robert Cray is a close second
There's absolutely no question in my mind that Son House is the King of the Blues.
Encore God & Asomodai- UG JHS Brotherhood

Encore God: fighting UG Zeppelin-centrism since 2002.
Yngwie Malmsteen.
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
Muddy Waters
Robert Johnson
Memphis Minnie
Quote by Pinballwizard93
you sir, Martinikiss7, should be president.

Jizz is where it is
Quote by funkdaddyfresh
ur right on both accounts. his style still needs to mature but he has not just potential, but kind of an inevitable future ahead of him. im callin it right now that he goes down as one of the best-known musicians of our time

I totally agree. I think he will be looked at as one of the greatest guitarists of our time. But as for the best, Im not sure, but SRV is probably my favorite.
Quote by TheHeartbreaker
Obviously the best blues guitarist ever is Duane Allman.

yea probably Allman or Clapton
thats why Derek and the Dominos was cool
two greats in a band!!!
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
Quote by Resiliance
Yngwie Malmsteen.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix
Quote by Resiliance
Yngwie Malmsteen.

"This is how you play the blues you guitar n00bs".
Quote by CornLord
Derigiberble would win in a fight against any UGer, n00b or not, just because most people on the site can't help but love him/her.

Get, Get, Get, Get, Get Out And Push.
Quote by funkdaddyfresh

definately, hes actually one of my favorite guitarists right now.

Quote by Resiliance
Yngwie Malmsteen.

haha, hes terrible at blues.....
Quote by 1h81337
haha, hes terrible at blues.....

But he can play fast...
He who joyfully marches to music in rank and file has already earned my contempt.
He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would fully suffice.

Remember: A prudent question is one half of wisdom.

Click.
John Mayer is one of my favorite musicians I love how his style can be so diverse and so pure...all the time. His live shows are phenomenal and he is a class musician. As for BEST GUITARIST...no such thing, only favorites. my favorites though are Mayer, SRV, BB, and Clapton
Last edited by TUMFP at Jan 6, 2007,
Robert Johnson...anyone who disagrees is kidding themself. Everyone whose ever picked up a guitar and played a I-IV-V progression with a turnaround has been influenced by Robert Johnson. He is basically the king. Sure...he didnt have the fiery licks of SRV, stinging vibrato of BB, or psychedelic blues licks of Jimi but damn he had something. If were talking best blues guitarist souly on how influential, it goes to him. He has influenced every blues player directly and indirectly.
Iunno probably B.B. or Albert King, or Buddy Guy. Like everyone said, Clapton and SRV and such were great bluesmen, but w/o the older blues guitarists to influence them, they wouldn't be quite the same.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
Quote by Resiliance

But he can play fast...

Haha why do you taunt us? I mean sure, it's a little funny, but enough is enough.
My Gear-
Gibson SG Junior
52' Hot Rod Tele
American Deluxe Strat
Yamaha Cg-104
Fender Twin (white)
Boss CH1
Boss OC-3
DOD overdrive
Fulltone OCD
Arbiter Fuzz Face
Vox Wah