Ok, my whole point to this is to say that there is no such thing as the greatest metal band or the best metal band. This is true because who the hell is to say there the best or who is the greatest? You? Its an opinion, its not a fact therefore i think alot of these threads that deal with peoples opinions are stupid, because all these opinions are going to cause conflicts. The worst and most posible of these types of threads deal with who is the most overated or the worse. Honestly do you care who is the most overated guitarist no. Must people have there own opinion towards that. But many don't have any logic or proof or an explanation behind why they are overated. Popularity doesn't really have anything to do with being overated. Being overated is giving to much credit to something that doesn't deserve it. People like Halen, Rhoads, Hendrix, Mustaine, Dime, Hetfield, Wylde, and many more there considered overated because there popular. But when you get the the definition of it, many of them are underated, because alot of them don't get the credit the deserve (atleast prooven credit).

But back on topic, these threads i personally think can be stupid, but the most stupid thing about them is the people. Insulting or making fun of someones opinion. Its someones ****in opinion it shouldn't effect you, and its what they believe. If you wanna make fun of someone or insult them based on a belief well thats makes you a retard. So why do people post these opinionated threads. Yes everyone has there own beliefs but why can't people exept ppl for there believes. Instead of having threads like: Best Metal Band why don't you have thread like Favorite metal band. Since it is impossible to define or to say who is the best band of all time cuz noone actually knows, unless everyone agrees on it. And when it comes to the most overated bands, or guitarists or the worst bands and worst guitarists why don't you back it up with proof so people can know where your coming from. For example the I believe Kirk Hammett in my opinion is overated due to the fact every solo before the "Load" Album was written by James Hetfield or in some songs Dave Mustaine. The last sentence was said in there documentary Some Kind of Monster. Where James clearly said he wrote the solos dating to Load where he let Hammett start writing them. Ok so now you see how you can see the difference between just a flame or a negative post, and something into an actual opinion. In conclusion - why have these threads anyways if people are just going to argue about it and insult. If you wanna insult someone on an opinion they have, get a hobby. Noone is going to agree on everything, so why even try.
It's dumb how people label them Overrated only If other people like them too...Hey, people better not have the same oppinions or else it will become "overated!!"
So yea...I've been saying this to people for a long time but no1 ever listens. Cool to see people that believe it too.
I didn't read past the first sentence, but we get it. You didn't need to write all that. We agree.
I've found Jesus
well i see no harm in people sharing opinions,it's cool, to see opinions, agree with ppl, disagree, argue logically... that's the point of an internet forum

however i agree the flaming should be kept to a minimum

Member of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join

Gear:

ESP LTD DV8-R
Squier SG (Specs Unknown)
Kustom KGA-10 Ten watt practice amp
Marshall TSL 602

My JEM Build
Quote by seek_&_destroy
well i see no harm in people sharing opinions,it's cool, to see opinions, agree with ppl, disagree, argue logically... that's the point of an internet forum

however i agree the flaming should be kept to a minimum

Right, but you're forgetting this is the UG metal forum. The thread usually only stays up if you have something useful to say. Otherwise, it's pointless.

Quote by brandon_huczek
meH. I like Halen and Rhoads but yeah they are underappreciated big time.

Are you ****ing kidding?
I've found Jesus
Metallica competes with Black Sabbath for the greatest metal band of all time. You have to admit, when you say the words HEAVY and METAL in the same sentence, the first thing to come to peoples minds is METALLICA or BLACK SABBATH, and that is what has made them the 'greatest' metal bands. They are not the best by far, i dont even really like Metallica that much, but you have to give them that. That, is not an opinion.

EDIT: AWWW shit I just read Contrabands sig!

And thread starter, the last sentence should have a "?" at the end.
Last edited by Tedward at Jan 4, 2007,
Quote by bryankbryank
Its someones ****in opinion it shouldn't effect you, and its what they believe. If you wanna make fun of someone or insult them based on a belief well thats makes you a retard. So why do people post these opinionated threads.

Because they're allowed to post their opinions and it shouldn't affect you?
Quote by Tedward
Metallica competes with Black Sabbath for the greatest metal band of all time. You have to admit, when you say the words HEAVY and METAL in the same sentence, the first thing to come to peoples minds is METALLICA or BLACK SABBATH, and that is what has made them the 'greatest' metal bands. They are not the best by far, i dont even really like Metallica that much, but you have to give them that. That, is not an opinion.

When I hear Heavy and metal I think of "I like Death metal" then the person gets into a big argument about nothing
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.