Alright, so here's the deal. I play bass for my school's jazz band, and we play at the basketball games all the time. Well, a few days ago my band director asked me if I could arrange some songs, or just play some cover songs, he'd let the rhythm section play by itself. I don't know what songs would be good to play. There is a bass, me, 2 guitars, and drums. So basically a band. If anyone could help me, it would be much appreciated.
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
oh, and btw, Al Di Meola is king.
“There’s only two ways to sum up music; either it’s good or it’s bad. If it’s good you don’t mess about it, you just enjoy it.” - Louie Armstrong
Lol thankies...I play guitar for pep band all the time..theres no sheet music so i pretty much improv with stupid power chords but hey it works lol
That old time rock and roll, eye of the tiger, all the small things, i was even thinking of dani california

i wish my band teacher was that cool. i've been asking her to do that for a while, but all she does is forgets...
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
I wish I played guitar in jazz band, except the guitarist sucks and the only reason he is there and not me is because he has been in the band longer. i am stuck with trumpet.

The best part of my jazz band is when the teacher works with the rythm section so i dont have to play. Im gonna quit.

I agree with the guy above me. Any classic rock, AC/DC or something.
for a pump-up pre-game song cochise or welcome to the jungle work well.
My bandmates are all in the pep band so that's what we play. At the end the whole band will play something like "celebration", think of standard rock anthems for the game that people will recognize (including parents and faculty). keep your audience in mind
There's a 95% chance what was written above here was very stupid
i love how people here only suggest "good ol rock n roll" when it's a jazz band. bunch of music n00bs. seriously, you all make me sick. rock guitarists are pathetic.

just play Blue Bossa, easy to groove to, and easy to play and solo over.
Quote by altronataku
rock guitarists are pathetic.

Anyway, that's pretty cool man. My ex played guitar in it, but it was only a few easy open chrods.
lol. i wonder if they would let you do HIghway to hell?

either way, Blitzkrieg bop is a good one too, try that.

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Quote by altronataku
i love how people here only suggest "good ol rock n roll" when it's a jazz band. bunch of music n00bs. seriously, you all make me sick. rock guitarists are pathetic.

just play Blue Bossa, easy to groove to, and easy to play and solo over.

i'm in my jazz band, and i'm a freshman. i beat out a senior and a sophomore to get the spot. and it's a tune everyone knows. so you can shut up.

EDIT:sorry about the double post, but i was mad at Altronadink here. thanks.

Quote by Leonheart

i didn't say all rock guitarists were pathetic.

but seriously, just about everyone who posted before posted me billions and billions of songs. there's just one tiny problem with all of them. NO JAZZ SONGS. all they know and care about is rock. Now if this was a rock band, 100% appropriate responses. However, threadstarter clearly stated JAZZ band. i think just about 95% of you don't even understand what that word means and just pretend it's not there.
Last edited by altronataku at Jan 4, 2007,
play some mad caddies or catch 22 something fast...they dont really take a lot of skill and sound good, they get people pumped up at our games.....
Quote by cashewchaching

EDIT:sorry about the double post, but i was mad at Altronadink here. thanks.

that's clever, fuckface.

seriously, what will you come up with next?

Altronatapoop? gaytronatafag? altrondumbguy?
Quote by altronataku

but seriously, just about everyone who posted before posted me billions and billions of songs. there's just one tiny problem with all of them. NO JAZZ SONGS. all they know and care about is rock. Now if this was a rock band, 100% appropriate responses. However, threadstarter clearly stated JAZZ band. i think just about 95% of you don't even understand what that word means and just pretend it's not there.

The director never said it had to be Jazz. Besides, they're playing at frikken basketball games. Why not have some fun with some simple rock tunes?
Quote by cashewchaching
lol. i wonder if they would let you do HIghway to hell?

either way, Blitzkrieg bop is a good one too, try that.

haha, actually we're gonna try highway to hell.

but yea, I did say Jazz Band, but unfortunately most people that go to the basketball games are too close-minded to appreciate jazz in it's fullest. so, I want to play half jazz songs, and half rock songs. some actual jazz, but have some rock songs to get the team and crowd going.
Quote by altronataku

so you actaully think he should go to a basketball game and play only jazz that no one has ever heard before? Just because they are part of the jazz band doesn't necessarily mean they can play strictly jazz and nothing else.

I'd say for a b-ball game it would be much better to play songs that people know.
Quote by altronataku
but seriously, just about everyone who posted before posted me billions and billions of songs. there's just one tiny problem with all of them. NO JAZZ SONGS.not there.

Well techinically he never said he needed to play jazz songs.

Altronatapoop
Quote by ibanezkam

but yea, I did say Jazz Band, but unfortunately most people that go to the basketball games are too close-minded to appreciate jazz in it's fullest.

trust me, if you play songs that are easy to groove to, they won't mind.

i've played blue bossa at my school before and lots of people who don't care about jazz were digging it. bossa nova songs are just those "party" songs, you know what i mean? they just have that vibe. if you're going for some jazz stuff, bossas and latin style jazz are all good ideas.
Quote by Leonheart
Well techinically he never said he needed to play jazz songs.

Altronatapoop

i think evolution is taking a bad turn on humanity. some people are being born without a functioning brain.

i guess i'll reach out to the mentally handicapped for once: read thread title.

ps: lionpenis
hey altronatakukukokku

read this post by the thread start.

Quote by ibanezkam

but yea, I did say Jazz Band, but unfortunately most people that go to the basketball games are too close-minded to appreciate jazz in it's fullest. so, I want to play half jazz songs, and half rock songs. some actual jazz, but have some rock songs to get the team and crowd going.
Quote by altronataku
trust me, if you play songs that are easy to groove to, they won't mind.

i've played blue bossa at my school before and lots of people who don't care about jazz were digging it. bossa nova songs are just those "party" songs, you know what i mean? they just have that vibe. if you're going for some jazz stuff, bossas and latin style jazz are all good ideas.

yea, as far as jazz songs go, I want to try some afro-cuban stuff. I was thinking about trying to arrange a night in tunisia for us.
Quote by the_experience
hey altronatakukukokku

read this post by the thread start.

hey genius, notice what i said about rock songs being inappropriate was before he stated it could be rock tunes too.

before that, i used simple reasoning and came to the conclusion: jazz band = jazz songs.

man, am i on the rag.
Quote by altronataku
i think evolution is taking a bad turn on humanity. some people are being born without a functioning brain.

i guess i'll reach out to the mentally handicapped for once: read thread title.

ps: lionpenis

Quote by ibanezkam

I can feel this getting hostile so I'll leave now...

Quote by ibanezkam
yea, as far as jazz songs go, I want to try some afro-cuban stuff. I was thinking about trying to arrange a night in tunisia for us.

@ afro-cuban as a genre.
Quote by ibanezkam

cool. ive never tried afro-cuban stuff but yea that sounds about right.
Quote by altronataku
hey genius, notice what i said about rock songs being inappropriate was before he stated it could be rock tunes too.

before that, i used simple reasoning and came to the conclusion: jazz band = jazz songs.

man, am i on the rag.

well...thank you for complimenting my intelligence, because i do value it rather highly.

And hopefully this will teach you to not jump to conclusions and to not be a prick to others when it is possible that you are wrong (which you were).
Quote by Leonheart

the only thing that's irritating is that before he stated that rock songs can be included, all of you morons just jump straight into calling out rock songs like nothing else matters.
Quote by Leonheart

@ afro-cuban as a genre.

you should listen to some. afro-cuban=good stuff
Quote by the_experience
well...thank you for complimenting my intelligence, because i do value it rather highly.

And hopefully this will teach you to not jump to conclusions and to not be a prick to others when it is possible that you are wrong (which you were).

first of all, that was if that was jumping to conclusions, then so is pushing a door when the sign says "push." seriously, it's that simple.

second of all, i was criticizing on the fact that NO ONE suggested a real jazz tune when "Jazz band" couldn't give you a bigger hint if it hit you in the face.

third of all, most rock guitarists are annoying and don't know anything else. this thread supports that claim. end of story.
Quote by altronataku
lol @ your immaturity as a musician.

Damn man, I am just kidding. It has a funny name. Calm down.
Quote by altronataku
first of all, that was if that was jumping to conclusions, then so is pushing a door when the sign says "push." seriously, it's that simple.

second of all, i was criticizing on the fact that NO ONE suggested a real jazz tune when "Jazz band" couldn't give you a bigger hint if it hit you in the face.

third of all, most rock guitarists are annoying and don't know anything else. this thread supports that claim. end of story.

No....because in this thread, the door is one of those swinging ones that can be pushed or pulled, but you are telling everyone it can only be pushed.

FIgure it out. It does make sense.

And this is a stupid argument so I'm done.
well, all the bickering aside, thanks for all the suggestions.
Quote by the_experience
No....because in this thread, the door is one of those swinging ones that can be pushed or pulled, but you are telling everyone it can only be pushed.

i never said it couldn't be pulled, but rather that the door was originally made to be pushed. yet everyone pulls on it and no one pushes.

/shitty extended metaphor.