BFG = Big ****in' guitar?

Anyhow, I'm really digging the way it looks and it sounds like a great deal. A Burstbucker 3 in the bridge with a P-90 in the neck and the guitar is $970, which I would say is underpriced for a guitar equipped with pups like that. I'm thinking I might have to find a new job and save up some money for that beaut.
2005 Epiphone Les Paul Custom
Marshall JCM900 MKIII Master Volume head
Carvin G412T cabinet
Line 6 DL-4
Boss BF-3
Boss CS-3
Boss NS-2
Boss OD-20
Boss PH-2
Ibanez TS-7 (being modded soon!)
brustbuckers sound rad in a les paul, i have them installed in my Studio! go for it,
http://www.theweekendkids.com

Gibson Les Paul Studio w/dirtyfingers pickups
Gibson Joan Jett Melody Maker
VOX ac30 head
Marshall 1960 4x12 cab
Fender Hot Rod Deville
I was wondering if anyone has any experience witht his guitar. I'm saving up for a new guitar, and was wondering about the quality of this one. Please do not mention aesthetics.
Quote by Ambulance X
BFG = Big ****in' guitar?

Anyhow, I'm really digging the way it looks and it sounds like a great deal. A Burstbucker 3 in the bridge with a P-90 in the neck and the guitar is $970, which I would say is underpriced for a guitar equipped with pups like that. I'm thinking I might have to find a new job and save up some money for that beaut.

Underpriced because it has a nice pair of pups or over priced because Gibson saved a ton of money by not sanding or finishing the guitar, no truss rod cover and no inlays?
Last edited by dan2002 at Feb 4, 2007,
To be brutally honest, it looks welfare. I would have ATLEAST hoped it would be around $500, but $970, thats too much.

I'm SORLEY dissapointed Gibson. Same with that Platinum Studio, EUUUGH.
Personally, I think they're repulsive guitars & i'd never play one.

But come on, $1,000 for that guitar? Jesus christ Gibson, you don't even have to sand the top, buy figured maple or worry about buffing the finish. It's ridiculous the markup Gibson gets for these guitars.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Feb 4, 2007,
If it were 200, Id still have to consider buying it. NOT Worth 1000
Quote by Draken
that 0/10 was for gonzo slash, i despise him.
N.W.A Is Fucking Up The Program
Co-Leader Of The League Of Toxicity33, Kankuro And Dr. Gonzo Slash
Quote by OneHappyCamper

Gonzo, you're a cool dude.
who gives a shit how it looks i played one in a shop and it plays and sounds great for the price.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
who gives a shit how it looks i played one in a shop and it plays and sounds great for the price.

You.

Just be quiet.
Quote by Pacifica112J
You.

Just be quiet.

+1
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Only on UG do a bunch of people bash a guitar and then when someone comes and gives an opinion, having actually played it, tell him to shut up. I haven't tried one yet, but if it turns out it sounds great, I don't care what it looks like, I'll buy one.
Of course, if you ladies need a nice pretty AAAAA-maple flame top with birdies on the fretboard to feel good about yourselves, go ahead.
IMO

This guitar is very ugly. I hate guitars without fret markers. I also think the lack of finish will suck the tone out of it (like on the faded specials)

It also seems that it would be uncomfortable to play with all those ridges.

This is just Gibson saying "Let's sell something crappy, and call it Hardcore and Metal"

If you want it, that's cool, it seems like a waste of money to me.

also, WTF is a Burstbucker 3?

Everyone acts like they've heard of them before, but I never saw any mention of them until this thing came out.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
I've played them, and they're really nothing special. They're pretty much on par with new Gibsons, but the p-90 needs to be replaced. The bursbuckers are great pickups, but they're still ****ing ugly. I'd never be caught dead playing one though, i'm sorry I like the look of figured wood and nice inlays. Although, I don't need them to feel good about myself, I let my playing speak for itself. I don't need to prove to people I can make an ugly ass guitar sound decent.

Chris
I personally like them, on the one I played the p90 was quite lively, and the killswitch seems to be quite a selling point, as when I played it I couldnt help but mess with it.

I didn't care for the feel of the finish, and aesthtically the guitar is not for me (like those nasty wooden knobs...). I can however see where there is a market for the guitar; in people who want a "real" gibson they dont feel guilty about beating up, because it already looks cruddy.

I think people forget Gibson is out to make money, and a lower priced "real" les Paul is going to attract buyers. I give kudos to Gibson for the features they included on this guitar, and if they could do this on a normal looking guitar I would buy it. As it stands however, no.
Quote by Roc8995
Only on UG do a bunch of people bash a guitar and then when someone comes and gives an opinion, having actually played it, tell him to shut up. I haven't tried one yet, but if it turns out it sounds great, I don't care what it looks like, I'll buy one.
Of course, if you ladies need a nice pretty AAAAA-maple flame top with birdies on the fretboard to feel good about yourselves, go ahead.

What in the fuck are you talking about? Why are you standing up for Gibson?

It's just Gibson doing what they do best; being a bunch of lazy asses, and making a hell of a lot of money doing it.

I can see it right now;

Gibson Guy 1: "Hey, what are we going to do with all this crap material we have left over?"

Gibson Guy 2: "I've got it! How about we make a guitar that's so hideous, anyone who buys it will think they're rebellious. And because it says "Gibson" on the headstock."

Gibson Guy 1: "What will it cost?"

Gibson Guy 2: "A thousand dollars, of course!"

Gibson Guy 1: "Brilliant!"

Fuck Gibson. Right in the ear.
So the question is... Why are you bashing Gibson?

They make guitars.
People buy their guitars.

Sure, it sucks if you can't get their guitars.
And it sucks that maybe their guitars aren't aimed at you.

But what's the bloody point, really? If one guy likes it, then more power to him.
Quote by StaggHound
So the question is... Why are you bashing Gibson?

They make guitars.
People buy their guitars.

Sure, it sucks if you can't get their guitars.
And it sucks that maybe their guitars aren't aimed at you.

But what's the bloody point, really? If one guy likes it, then more power to him.

Last time I checked, this is a forum for helping people decide what guitars to get. If one person doesnt like them, then fine that's an opinion. He can state why, and the threadstarter can decide for himself. Whats the point really?

Chris
I just felt that if it was a fine retort to say "Why would you defend Gibson?!?!?!" then there was certain precedent to say "Why attack Gibson?"

I mean, the Les Paul BFG. Not for everyone. Maybe not for you or me or whoever, but it'd be just as wrong to proclaim it the single most important guitar, than it would be to decry it as a worthless guitar, without trying it.
Quote by StaggHound
I just felt that if it was a fine retort to say "Why would you defend Gibson?!?!?!" then there was certain precedent to say "Why attack Gibson?"

I mean, the Les Paul BFG. Not for everyone. Maybe not for you or me or whoever, but it'd be just as wrong to proclaim it the single most important guitar, than it would be to decry it as a worthless guitar, without trying it.

I never said the BFG wasn't a good guitar. But for a guitar with no finish, no inlays, etc. Don't you think it should cost a little less than a thousand dollars?

I never attacked the quality of their instruments, but c'mon. For a thousand bucks, they can certainly do better than that.
Ya I would say that Gibson should have released it under the Epiphone brand or at a lower price. I don't know however because I have never had the chance to play one. I just want to say that Gibson did a poor job marketing this because if you see the video by "Skullkin" or whoever listen to the lyrics. "BUY THE GUITAR! BUY THE GUITAR!." Other than that, I think Gibson makes quality guitars but I wouldn't put a 1K price tag on this.
Quote by Pacifica112J
I never said the BFG wasn't a good guitar. But for a guitar with no finish, no inlays, etc. Don't you think it should cost a little less than a thousand dollars?

I never attacked the quality of their instruments, but c'mon. For a thousand bucks, they can certainly do better than that.

Well, I tell you what, it's not a guitar for everybody. But if you want it, and you can afford it, then that's it.

So the BFG is, what, a thousand dollars?
There are maybe 3 Gibson Les Pauls for less. All the rest are more - and we're talking two to three times more.

Perhaps there's the expectation for this to be more of a budget model because it looks more budget, but to be honest, it's just Gibson being Gibson, releasing another odd guitar, and people will buy it if they want it.
its the ugliest mother****er ever......and the wooden nobs dont help.
man!
the bfgs are awesome!
face it gibson wont ever sell a guitar under $800 unless its called the **** guitar.
the BFG yes is unfinished but thats the beauty.
the EVH fender reissue for like 25 000 plays like **** but looks great
this guitar looks great i love the unfinished neck yes the no fret marks is kinda gay
but the finish is great unfinished things like the worn studio make the guitar sound more raw and gives it a better tone!
if its about looks, man this thing looks cool on stage!
and i love the feel of this thing its chambered
cmon for a grand its not bad comparing it to other gibson les pauls
and epiphones prices went up! a standard epiphone PLUS top is $650!!!
now thats robbery!
for an american made gibson this things pretty good!
my local music store sells em for $950 same with the vixen
iunno what guitar i wanna get but im considering the BFG!
dont be hatin u cheapos gibsons will always be these prices and try the guitar its really good! at least thats my take!
Quote by T!AN
^ and thanks for bumping a year old thread for absolutely no worthwhile information...

Roc8995 ... thank you!
dumb ass i was jst sayin my thoughts on the guitar how is that not worth while?
and kenan6346 shut up u prolly suck dick at guitar
Quote by panic!!!
Roc8995 ... thank you!
dumb ass i was jst sayin my thoughts on the guitar how is that not worth while?
and kenan6346 shut up u prolly suck dick at guitar

I wasn't being serious, = joke.

But, in reality, I would've seriously thought that, given your join date, you would've had better sense than to bump a year old thread then making an empty and ineffective insult that just makes you look like an idiot. I would expect an 09er to do that but not someone who signed up a year and a half before me.

I'm gonna leave that there, and if you make anymore stupid insults like the one above I'll report you for flaming.