I was bored staring at my ceiling last night, and started thinking. I thought of this new generation of music, and what everyone listens to. then started thinking of what i listen to. I realized that if hendrix wouldnt of died that there would be a chance that he would be alive in the present day. what would he try to do to get into this new age of music.

i figured with his african american background and just for entertainment for myself he would of went into rap. imagine the rap he would of made. My only thought was that it would be distorted as hell. so what else would his rap music be like.
Quote by fallenangel20

And thanks MotleyCrueSATD, that was pretty awesome.

Quote by hemi-san
the truth he speaks well, harken unto his word.
Woah. lay off the acid late at night.
I think he would have kept making rock... but if he did make rap it probably wouldnt be so great. Who knows...
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
yeah im going with theory. i see that the majority of the musicans of the past have made attempts to evolve thier music over time to deal with the new fads. im thinking if he made rap music.
Quote by fallenangel20

Quote by hemi-san
wow ummm wow ummm yea wtf

if hendrix was still alive im sure he wouldnt be making any new music now and if he was it wouldnt be all that different from his old music

look at rolling stones, the who, pink floyd/david gilmour etc
Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
Quote by MotleyCrueSATD
yeah im going with theory. i see that the majority of the musicans of the past have made attempts to evolve thier music over time to deal with the new fads. im thinking if he made rap music.

ooooo ok sorry misunderstood a bit but in this case (still weird) i think it woulda sucked
Member #5 of the Red Sox fan club. PM Gibson06 to join.

Quote by thebrewfan
Once I saw someone try to seriously give someone "the vulcan death grip". That was the dumbest thing I'd ever seen until I saw this thread.
like i said guys just an entertaining theory.
Quote by fallenangel20

Quote by hemi-san
Probably would collab with Lenny Kravitz or something. But really, I don't think Jimi would go into rap, probably make some damn good rock/rap though.
Team Orange

Quote by Ehh
You calling your parents assholes because they wouldn't buy you a phone with a camera? Maybe you deserve to have picks on your nips.
I think that he probably would have become more bluesy and would eventually become that old black guy that rips bluesy solos on his front porch and shakes his head at the "gangstas" that blast their rap while walking by his house.

...Yes I'm high right now.
Quote by GiantRaven
I'm sure theres a Nigerian king just waiting for you to reply to his email
Quote by sunshineshankar
well crosstown traffic has a sort of rap sound to it

Blasphemy!
I think thru the 70's, he'd play mainly funk with the couple rock stuff in there. Nowadays, he'd get more and more into blues and become an old blues man, but with all the rock influences.
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
welltheres no way to really even determine that.. he might have stopped making music all together after a certain point anyway. then become like a nostalgia act (like most classic rock bands turn into).

but i dont think he would have conformed to the current music.. it makes no sense, becuase his entire style of playing was so NON-conformist. especially his color too. black people in the 60's weren't playing too much rock. they were playing all different kinds of generes that all had a majority of black artists (jazz, blues, r&b, soul , etc). so thats pretty imprtant to keep in mind.

you know i hate when people think that like rock wouldnt have changed if *this hjappened, or if *so and so didnt die. know what i mean? thats not necessarily true. every decade of music has changed. the only difference is how much its respected once its over. heavy metal in the 80's in some ways was looked down upon at the time, and now its glorified as the golden days of metal. rock same thing. the 60s and 70s are glorified a the golden days. but the truth is, its just different time periods, different culture, and different world altogether.

what made classic rock grow to its full potential were the people. people traveling for concerts, people looking at this 'different' music.

also, i think one of the biggest misconceptions about classic rock s that people think like hippies int he 60s has a sense of music theory or something. not too many people understoof composition or theory so when they listened to led zeppelin or pink floyd, they werent listening for certain aspects that many people today look at as revolutionary or brilliant. they were looking at it the same way people for example like RHCP or some emo band. idk what the reason is, but each generation looks at different aspectts of music which allows that genre or style to keep growing because people like it
ok so lets rephrase the question.

THEORETICALLY

if hendrix would make rap, what would it sound like, besides distorted as hell.
Quote by fallenangel20

Quote by hemi-san
Quote by MotleyCrueSATD

i figured with his african american background and just for entertainment for myself he would of went into rap.

LMAO that is so racist. ah, funny unintended racism ftw.
I think that he would still stay on his genre of music because:

A. People like Lenny Kravitz,Andrew Stockdal and such.

B. Because he didnt grew up in the Bronx(thats from where rap came from).
Purple string dampener scrunchy.
he'd be making funk.

but i could see him going crazy in the 80s with electronics.

he'd probably also love george clinton and the red hot chili peppers.
Quote by unplugtheradio
he'd be making funk.

but i could see him going crazy in the 80s with electronics.

he'd probably also love george clinton and the red hot chili peppers.

i would love to see frusciante and hendrix playing together,

maybe, after years of practice, he would shred with feeling
Quote by TheGuitarDreams
Probably would collab with Lenny Kravitz or something. But really, I don't think Jimi would go into rap, probably make some damn good rock/rap though.

If Jimi met Lenny, He'd probably smack the hell out of him for being a carbon copy rop-off of Jimi and stealing so much of his music.

And why the hell are you stereotyping black people with rap music? There's plenty of black rockers out there.

As for me, I think he'd be....emo. Dun dun dun.

Nah, he'd keep doing what he did best. Acid. And using that power to write amazing music.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by deluxity
i would love to see frusciante and hendrix playing together

Hell yeah. Hendrix was a big influence on John. They both use their thumbs to play notes on the 6th string. And their music together...oh my god...
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
He wouldn't make any music based on any genre. He would just make the music that he felt and loved. You have to remember that he didn't ever make music as a result of fads. Fads were a result of his music, unfortunately.
Just look at Clapton.
The more you lick them
The more you like them

Not for the first time in my life, I curse my bad luck.
Quote by Chimaira
I think that he probably would have become more bluesy and would eventually become that old black guy that rips bluesy solos on his front porch and shakes his head at the "gangstas" that blast their rap while walking by his house.

...Yes I'm high right now.

Yeah man. As I was reading that, I could really picture it. I think you are right.

And yes. I'm high too..
I can't see Jimi ever getting into rap. Of course, assuming he eventually were to lay off the acid and sleeping pills, there's no doubt his music would have changed. God only knows whether it would be for better or worse...

Also seeing how none of the old blues guys like Buddy Guy and BB King have gotten into rap, I doubt that Jimi would have. Like others have said, perhaps he would have reverted back to blues...or perhaps gone down a more Rock-oriented route and joined Derek and the Dominoes :P
Quote by feenux258
wow ummm wow ummm yea wtf

if hendrix was still alive im sure he wouldnt be making any new music now and if he was it wouldnt be all that different from his old music

look at rolling stones, the who, pink floyd/david gilmour etc

well Bob Dylan still makes music and he's older than Jimi, so I don't see why he wouldn't
Quote by pyrochris
I can't see Jimi ever getting into rap. Of course, assuming he eventually were to lay off the acid and sleeping pills, there's no doubt his music would have changed. God only knows whether it would be for better or worse...

Also seeing how none of the old blues guys like Buddy Guy and BB King have gotten into rap, I doubt that Jimi would have. Like others have said, perhaps he would have reverted back to blues...or perhaps gone down a more Rock-oriented route and joined Derek and the Dominoes :P

i thought i read somewhere that buddy started experimenting with hip hop.

ohwell. whatever he did, it wouldnt sound like what he did in the 60s.

just listen to band of gyspsys, he was in the middle of changing and going in a funkier direction.

he would probably have loved the red hot chili peppers, like i said before, and look at how much the red hot chili peppers love rap.
Quote by MotleyCrueSATD
I was bored staring at my ceiling last night, and started thinking. I thought of this new generation of music, and what everyone listens to. then started thinking of what i listen to. I realized that if hendrix wouldnt of died that there would be a chance that he would be alive in the present day. what would he try to do to get into this new age of music.

i figured with his african american background and just for entertainment for myself he would of went into rap. imagine the rap he would of made. My only thought was that it would be distorted as hell. so what else would his rap music be like.

No, i don't think he would totally ****ing sell out.
BUTTTTT, he might have ended up lik the rolling stones,
OR like david gilmour.
CTHC
If he hadn't of died he wouldnt be as popular

look at kurt cobain , dimebag ect..
Quote by unplugtheradio
i thought i read somewhere that buddy started experimenting with hip hop.

I could be wrong....

At least I've seen some recent videos of him playing his same 'ol blues, but I guess I spoke too soon.

Edit: Ok so he does have a daughter who is a rap/hip hop star. I'm not sure how or if he's gotten into hip hop, but he's still carrying on the "blues torch" for Muddy...
Last edited by pyrochris at Jan 5, 2007,
guys your still missing the point. even though there is no real possibility that jimi would ever venture into the rap genre, just imagine for a split second that he did. he'd make some of the greatest rap of all time i bet. so lets try to define what his rap music would sound like.
Quote by fallenangel20

Quote by hemi-san
id probably bet he would have gone more blues as he got older.
Quote by Soma3009
I came up with this kick ass riff on my ukelele when I was 12. Find out two years later, it was smoke on the water. Got my hopes and dreams killed..

Quote by saintjimmy99
you used the right form of "their!" i commend you sir!

I think Jimi would have gone the way of Clapton and tried to return to his blues roots.
Death to Ovation haters!
....jimi would have died jsut a few years later cuz probably some1 woulda killed him or he wouldve done more drugs
when im with you, there's nothing I wouldn't do, i just wanna be you're only one. im gasping out of straws, taken aback by what i saw that night before when we were all alone...
I'm pretty sure if Jimi hadn't died then, he probably would have died sometime the next week.

But if he was alive today, he would probably rock. It'd be like Run DMC with more guitar work.