Page 1 of 2
First off I wold like to state this is not an emo bashing thread.

What's happened is that a few years back me and my friends would all be in a group, friend circle, click whatever.

But a little while back everyone started splittting apart, I know that's normal and just hung out with two different groups now so I could still hang with everyone.

But you see half of these friends of mine, have turned goth and emo, they don't where anything but black, love Naruto and cut themselves. They have changed and just don't seem to be like me, of course they're still nice and hangout, but i'm not like that.

The other guys I hang with, well they became normal just a fun group of guys and stuff.

Now the problem is it seems I have to choose, half my friends look down on the other half. Now do I just ditch and old group of friends because they've changed slightly?

It's just getting a bit tough to maintain both, since they're so different. Any idea what I could do? I'm almost in a situation where I have to choose.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Be friends with the people that are your friends and dont worry about 'groups' or anything.
<//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\//\\>
Quote by zeppelinpage4
But you see half of these friends of mine, have turned goth and emo, they don't where anything but black, love Naruto and cut themselves

Then they are not your friends...aren't they?

just say no
Brokeback Lego - Animation Movie I Made

Quote by \GuitarHero/
Our band mascot is a Muffin.

A recent study shows that 8% of teenagers listen to nothing but music with guitars in it. Put this in your sig if you're one of the 92% who aren't close-minded morons.
obviously they are weak minded followers copying a trend.. i reckon you'd be better off without them, with people who don't care about trends and that crap
Quote by HangmaN47
motorboat the clit you motorboatin' sonofabitch.
haha there was this kid at my school wearing the stupid naruto headband on he looked like such a dummy
Jesus Satan

Quote by davedoom

Krank: "Here you go mate, shiitloads of money and free amps, all you have to do is have a pic taken with your thumbs up looking happy with this amp, we will do the rest"

Endorsee:"OK, thanks"
Well, it all depends on who you like more. If your "emo" friends talk down to your "normal" friends start talking about your "normal" friends' good qualities and visa versa. If one of the groups doesn't like you hanging out with the other group they aren't very good friends anyway.
Say fuck it and be friends with both groups?

People these days...
Most of the important things

in the world have been accomplished

by people who have kept on

trying when there seemed to be no hope at all
Yeah that's what i've been doing, they just seem so ridiculous, they have the Naruto headbands and like jump off of trees after school. Again most of them are posing if you ask me.

Oh well screw it, i'll do whatever I want.
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Hang out with all of them, but if your friends who cut themselves make you feel uncomfortable don't surround yourself with that.
lulz
Quote by GiantRaven
Goths like Naruto?

A lot of the goths/poser metalheads in my school LOVE Naruto. Most of them are in the anime club. And a lot of them, including one of my best friends, have official Naruto headbands from Japan they they bought at an anime convention.

One of those kids seems pretty cool, though. I've seen him with Opeth and Iced Earth shirts, although he seems to like Slipknot more.
Most emo kids do because they think they're all ninjas.

"we wear black, and so do ninja's.. that must make us ninja's too!! *high five*"
Quote by HangmaN47
lol^ Necromancer

Go with the type you are. if you're normal, for lack of a better term, the go with the normals, and vice versa.
Jesus for president. PM me to join the campaign. or just sig it.

Of course God has a sense of humor. Look at the Platypus...

Member #9 of the Trumpet Players' Alliance, PM E V H 5150 to inquire about joining.
Well, I say you first ditch the one group because the others said to. Next, sever all communications between yourself and that group, because your friends really shouldn't pressure you into things you don't want to do. The only friend a man really needs is his penis.
Quote by matt47569
"we wear black, and so do ninja's.. that must make us ninja's too!! *high five*"

No, man, have you ever seen them in mosh pits? They clearly have serious ninja complexes.
Quote by zeppelinpage4
First off I wold like to state this is not an emo bashing thread.

WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
Quote by Nelsean
Say fuck it and be friends with both groups?

People these days...

in high school i was friends with all people...i never really looked down on people unless they started shit with me...you choose who you want to be with.
Fender Standard Stratocaster w/ Hot Noiseless Pickups
G&L Asat Special Semi Hollow
Alvarez Artist AD80SSB Acoustic
Peavey Valve King 112
Roland Micro Cube
Nobel ODR-1 Pedal
Boss CS-3
Boss DD-6
Boss CH-2
Boss FZ-1
Dunlop 535Q Wah
Same thing happened to me... so i just slapped all of them in the face and said quit your winin' homoes. Ya know, when groups seperate and you make like switzerland you meet alot of new people... but alot of people also dont like you for not choosing sides, so just kick those people in the nuts.
No, man, have you ever seen them in mosh pits? They clearly have serious ninja complexes.

emo's have mosh pits? well that's a new one
wouldn't they be too depressed to jump around?
Quote by HangmaN47
I'm assuming you're in high school. I say hangout with the friends that care about you. I wouldn't disown friends because of how they dress, that's lame. If the so called normal kids look down on their image, then they are shallow, and don't have an understanding for your friends as you do. I see that you want to fit in with the "normal" kids, but yet you're torn between the emos and goths. It's up to you. I wouldn't worry about what people think because later on in life it's not going to matter. Your emo and goth friends won't always act and dress the way they do, and your normal friends don't seem to have a grasp on respecting people that are different from them. I would hang out with whoever I'm better friends with. You can mix up who your friends are. I mean, be friends with the emos , goths, and norms. Whoever you hangout with is not up to them, it's up to you. Be more decisive about your choice, and don't choose based on what people will think.
First of all, don't use the word "Emo", it really has no meaning at all due to the media.

Look at the word "Emo", what is it short for? Emotional. Of course.
According to the media, you can only be "Emo" if you cut yourself, wear black, and listen to a set defined list of bands.
According to Dictionary.com, you're emotional if (logically) you're subject to or easily affected by emotion. As anyone knows, there are more emotions than Anger and Depression.

Just describe the person rather than using "Emo" at all.

Now anyway, to the issue at hand. You're going to have to accept it, you can't please everyone. I've learned that already. Find who you're happy with hanging out with, and stick with them. If some of your friends have changed and you don't like it, there's nothing saying that you have to conform to them. Do what you want, hang with who you want.

You basically are in a situation where you have to choose. But your choice isn't limited to those two groups of friends. As I stated before, try to find people who you're comfortable with, people who make you happy.
Quote by Kylster
First of all, don't use the word "Emo", it really has no meaning at all due to the media.

Look at the word "Emo", what is it short for? Emotional. Of course.
According to the media, you can only be "Emo" if you cut yourself, wear black, and listen to a set defined list of bands.
According to Dictionary.com, you're emotional if (logically) you're subject to or easily affected by emotion. As anyone knows, there are more emotions than Anger and Depression.

Just describe the person rather than using "Emo" at all.

Now anyway, to the issue at hand. You're going to have to accept it, you can't please everyone. I've learned that already. Find who you're happy with hanging out with, and stick with them. If some of your friends have changed and you don't like it, there's nothing saying that you have to conform to them. Do what you want, hang with who you want.

You basically are in a situation where you have to choose. But your choice isn't limited to those two groups of friends. As I stated before, try to find people who you're comfortable with, people who make you happy.

*'Emotional Hardcore'
Quote by matt47569
obviously they are weak minded followers copying a trend.. i reckon you'd be better off without them, with people who don't care about trends and that crap

mr Pantera fan here is right be friends with people who are themselves and not followers but it also depends if your other friends are your actual friends im sure they are bu i don't know, cause i dont know you or your friends but make sure you know you made the right choice and dont ever look back on a single decision you make in your life no pressure
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
Quote by GiantRaven
*'Emotional Hardcore'

No smiley on UG can represent my feelings of disappointment truly.
Quote by Shredder6
mr Pantera fan here is right be friends with people who are themselves and not followers but it also depends if your other friends are your actual friends im sure they are bu i don't know, cause i dont know you or your friends but make sure you know you made the right choice and dont ever look back on a single decision you make in your life no pressure

People who are "themselves" are usually followers, it's a load of shit really, no one can really be "themself", because everyone is basically influenced by everything around them.
The horrible truth is, everyone is "fake", just to what extent they portray it differs.

However, I say, ditch whichever group is very judgemental and look down on others solely because of image or anything shallow.
If both aren't, then keep both of them, if you feel pressured by one group, then ditch them in my opinion.
Quote by Horebane
People who are "themselves" are usually followers, it's a load of shit really, no one can really be "themself", because everyone is basically influenced by everything around them.
The horrible truth is, everyone is "fake", just to what extent they portray it differs.

However, I say, ditch whichever group is very judgemental and look down on others solely because of image or anything shallow.
If both aren't, then keep both of them, if you feel pressured by one group, then ditch them in my opinion.

So since...I dress how I want...and I say what I want...and I act how I want...

I'm following other people? Please explain...

I could understand if you said that noone is unique...but not that everyone is a follower...
Don't pick 'groups'. Hang out with whoever the hell you want to hang out with.
Cory is a girl's name too.

myspace.com/corysmash

aim me at corysmash196
Quote by maroon5mustdie
The only friend a man really needs is his penis.

sigged

also, i have many a group of friends [well, three ]and theyre all different. i hang out with a group of people of the rock persuasion, a group of "normals"[loosely speaking], which i'm probably most distant from, and a group of girls similar to the previous one, but more likeable imo. i dont judge them really, cos i dont really fit in with any of them, im just accepted. im also, to my knowledge, the only UGer at my school, which sucks
If you do things right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all...

Quote by DigUpHerBones
I love you and think I just about understood what you said. Cheers.

Like Pokémon? Like threads?
Last edited by deathsquirrel at Jan 5, 2007,
Quote by Leonheart

+123456678996783233563

Do whatever the **** you want.
I love neapolitan ice cream, but I HATE VANILA AND STRAWBERRY!

Tremulous Name:
Aaron-[UVache]
Quote by GiantRaven
So since...I dress how I want...and I say what I want...and I act how I want...

I'm following other people? Please explain...

I could understand if you said that noone is unique...but not that everyone is a follower...

That's what you say, you dress how you want, you say what you want, and act how you want.
What you want, is caused by something called "Influence" , obviously you would think you formed that "opinion" or "taste" for something, but you didn't. You may think you did, but without a doubt it was caused by somebody else, everything ANYONE does is caused by someone else, if you get what I mean.

Everyone is a follower, you, me, whatever. Just that, like I said, some people are less discreet about it, like Emos, Goths or whatever stereotype that is popular.
Quote by Horebane
That's what you say, you dress how you want, you say what you want, and act how you want.
What you want, is caused by something called "Influence" , obviously you would think you formed that "opinion" or "taste" for something, but you didn't. You may think you did, but without a doubt it was caused by somebody else, everything ANYONE does is caused by someone else, if you get what I mean.

Everyone is a follower, you, me, whatever. Just that, like I said, some people are less discreet about it, like Emos, Goths or whatever stereotype that is popular.

Yeah, I get what you mean
Quote by Horebane

You're opening the Pandora's Box of trends here, you're basically saying that anyone who wears clothes, listens to music, or talks a certain way is influenced by something/one. I can't really agree with that, I mean, I like Jimi Hendrix, but he himself didn't influence me to like him, it's not as if he threatened me with a knife to like him. I like wearing jeans and a t-shirt/hoodie, that doesn't mean anyone influenced me to like that, it just means that's what I find comfortable to wear.

You're right on some things though, many people's wants are caused by influence. I can say that I started playing guitar out of influence, my best friend played and (to me) he was pretty good, so I started playing too. I can also say that my playing style wasn't influenced by him or anyone else, I play what I myself think sounds good, not what someone else told me sounds good. Just because an artist made a song in a certain genre doesn't mean they're influencing me to like it.

In your thinking, no one can create anything new, which, obviously is untrue. Look at any music with dissonance in it. When that started, it was unheard of, no one could have possibly influenced that. What influenced the creator of Bowling? I doubt anyone really influenced Texas Instruments to put millions of tiny mirrors in a TV to get great picture quality.

You see what I'm getting at? You're thought of "Everyone follows" is flawed. It's not completely untrue, just far too much of a generalization.
Page 1 of 2