I'm a guitar newbie, but pretty knowlegable when it comes to terminology. I just picked up a brand new guitar via a rent to own program. I like it, but have questions about the humbuckers before I commit.

1) The plates around the humbuckers seem solid, but it appears that the humbuckers themselves have movement. I would think they should fit snugly???
Answered Thank you!!!
2) The strings do not line up perfectly with the magnets. This problem is particularly noticable at the bridge. All of the strings sit just to the right of each magnet. I'm guessing that perhaps these humbuckers aren't exactly right for this guitar. It is 25 1/2" with a classic style tremelo bridge. What do yall think???
Still wondering... plz see updated pics.

P.S. There's some wheat in it for you!

XOXOXO
Last edited by Chewbeckah at Jan 5, 2007,
take a picture and show us what you are talking about in number 2.

As for 1. That is normal, some guitars or most humbuckers sit on a string so you can adjust it thus they move when you try to move it. It's not fixed structure
1) A little bit of movement should be fine, but they shouldn't be sliding all over. If you put pressure on them you should expect them to move some.
2) Could be you're looking at it from an angle, otherwise if it's new, I highly doubt it has the wrong pickups...

Hope that helped a little bit... Just curious, what guitar did you get?
Here is a picture of the type of guitar I have... it's from the corporate site... so of course the picture there looks perfect. It's a Stagg X300-BK.

I know it's entry level, but to be honest, I am blown away by it considering the price paid... $200. I will see if I can find my camera cord so I can post an actual picture of what I am talking about. Thanks!
Quote by Chewbeckah
Here is a picture of the type of guitar I have... it's from the corporate site... so of course the picture there looks perfect. It's a Stagg X300-BK.

I know it's entry level, but to be honest, I am blown away by it considering the price paid... $200. I will see if I can find my camera cord so I can post an actual picture of what I am talking about. Thanks!

Try looking at your guitar in that angle. Right in front of it and see if the magnets are aligned perfectly. They should be though.

Kay guys... here's the pic. This picture was taken directly above the guitar. Hope you can see what I am talking about. I took the guitar back to the store, and they told me that this 'misallignment' would not affect sound. I'm having a hard time believing that. (Though I did purchase at a Mom & Pop.)

Looking forward to hearing from the axe-perts.
Quote by Chewbeckah

Kay guys... here's the pic. This picture was taken directly above the guitar. Hope you can see what I am talking about. I took the guitar back to the store, and they told me that this 'misallignment' would not affect sound. I'm having a hard time believing that. (Though I did purchase at a Mom & Pop.)

Looking forward to hearing from the axe-perts.

Oh wow, sorry I couldnt reply soon enough, I have school.

But wow, after seeing that picture dam. That is really not aligned right. You should take it back to the store if you still can. That will definitely affect the sound. If the middle part was not aligned right then its ok but since the outside magnets are not, the sound distribution may not be distributed evenly between each magnets from the pickups thus will create a delayed sound.

If you still can, I would exchange that guitar for another one the same or different ones.

When did you buy this guitar? They just said it wont affect the sound because they dont want you to return it and having to deal with the guitar themselves. They just want to get rid of it and could care less about ur guitar.
You bridge pickup is too high on the treble side im guessing. Re-adjust the both the humbucker's height according to your ear, then judge from there.

Its ok if its not 100% in line with the strings, its normal, dont worry much about it.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Good call - your eyes are way better than mine

Definitely looks that way, levelling the pickup out should sort things

...and there was me all ready to start rabitting on about F-spacing
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Okay guys... I adjusted the Humbuckers, and it did help with string allignment somewhat, but I still have a problem at the bridge. After that, I took the guitar to a competitor to ask his opinion. His advice was that I could play around with the humbuckers in order to correct any sound problems. To be honest, he seemed impressed with the construction of the instrument as well as the fact that it is solid Alder for $200. So, I am tempted to keep it. I have another 55 days to make up my mind. At that point I can either return it, or I can apply my $80 rental fee to the price of the guitar.

Anywho, I will keep you posted... but I will think will play it a bit before making a final decision. If I am satisfied with the performance for now, I can replace the humbuckers down the road. I believe that I saw versions with bigger magnets for sale somewhere online.

Anywho, I appreciate yall's feedback, & wanted to keep you up-to-date.

P.S. I would prefer to exchange, but I bought the last one. This guitar is an import in the US that is uncommon... at least in my area.

XOXOXO
"Smells Like Teen Spirit IS hard to play... Gosh!" - So Says Napolean Dynamite

Stagg X300-BK
Epiphone 15 Watt practice amp
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase