so my band has at least 6-7 songs down and 4 of those are originals. my question is we are interested in making an ep disc, how many songs should be on the disc and would it be ok to have a cover or two. also i have enough recording equiptment to do the recording at my house where the drums are and everything, so can you give me some tips on how to get the sound ok, because we don't want to go to a studio untill we feel we can't do it ourselves.
thanks.
Quote by steven seagull
Can I save money by using lightbulbs instead of tubes - will energy saving lightulbs last even longer?

Quote by latinosuperstud
if i buy a les paul studio and walk out into public a man in a clown and/or gorilla suit named tyrese, will come attack me and/or rape me
this is my opinion.... the songs should not exceed 10.... ok... its up to you to put cover songs or not but to me, i would not put it at all or at most 1 song only.... if you want to do home recording, make sure u have the right and good eq... from mics, mixer, sound card for pc, and etc.... the quality of recording depends on your eq, room condition, acoustics, and the sound engineer itself.... if ur home studio are capable to prduce hi/satisfied quality recording, i suggest u to record at your house because recording took a long period of time to record, mix, edit, master, and etc.... in studio, u pay for every hours it take... lets say it took 20 hours to complete and the rate is 20$ per hour... thats 400$.... so, if u think u are quite rich, no need to record in your house......
You have to ask yourself what do you want to do with this demo? Is it for yourself personally or is it to send to bigger labels? If it is for yourself by all means do it at home. If the plan is to send it to record companies, forget doing at home unless you are well experienced. Believe it or not there is a lot that goes into recording a song and getting it to sound perfect. A sound engineer or producer will know how to go about making you sound perfect plus they know things you dont and they have more equipment then you do. If you dont have the money to go this route, maybe you should save up til you have the money to do it. You can also get some more songs under your belt.

If you plan on doing it at home, here is some advice I can give you.

1 - you need a place you can record, as soundproof as possible this will give you the best recordings. Reverb and other effects can be added to the tracks afterwards.
2 - recording guitars and bass, better off to run straight into the board unless you can get a good sound through your amp and mic set up. Try out some racks at your local music store and rent one for the week.
3 - Have the right program to do the job. If you want quality you cant use Audacity or any of those free programs you need Pro Tools or some other similar program.
4 - USE THE CLICK!! This includes your drummer
5 - Practice, Practice, Practice. Before you plan to do your recording make sure everyone practices for a solid 2 weeks a couple of hrs everyday. Not just songs you have but different techniques to help your hands stay in sync, for guitar, and voice stay in pitch and what not.
6 - This is the most important thing, this is what a sound engineers are good at. Make sure your recording is perfect. You are in tune (just cause your tuner says you are in tune doesnt always mean you are), on beat, hit the right notes and make sure your playing isn't sloppy. If your recording isnt perfect then what is the point in keeping it. A polished turd is still a piece of s***.
7 - Record 2 guitars, on rhythm tracks especially. After you finish mixing and mastering a song play it in several places i.e car, home stereo, mp3 player so you can hear it in different ways and then you will know if anything needs to be changed.

Good Luck, if I were you I would invest in studio time. It isnt always per the hour sometimes you pay a block rate per song. Look into it, you might find a deal somewhere.

Oh and as for how many songs you should have on a demo, 5 or 6 is best. If you cant create a buzz with the 5 or 6 you put out then its back to the drawing board, cause something is wrong with your sound. I personally dont think covers are a good idea, I would go originals all the way. If it was done before, a record label doesn't want to waste their time listening to it again. Show them what you can do.
Last edited by leafs_4_life at Jan 5, 2007,