I am basically a beginner, but I don't want an absolutely crap guitar. I had one terrible squier tele before which began falling apart almost immediately and was not much fun to play. I've decided I can afford up to $300 this time around.

The thing is, I have pretty thick fingers, and a lot of the guitars I see at shops have quite thin necks. I realize this is supposed to help you play faster, but I think on many of these guitars the strings are just too close to be comfortable for me. Can anyone:

1) Recommend any guitars or styles that tend to have wider necks?

2) Give me an idea of what is considered wide and narrow (in inches, mm, whatever) so I can interpret specs?

Thanks.
I've seen Gibbie hollowbodies with thicker necks, but i'm not sure about one in the $300 range. Also these guitars can be limiting to blues and classics.

If you like the feel of them, Ibanez makes a few fairly decent Korean-made hollowbodies for around that price, but like i said, i'm not sure if their necks are as wide as some gibsons i've seen.
Quote by fulgentius
I am basically a beginner, but I don't want an absolutely crap guitar. I had one terrible squier tele before which began falling apart almost immediately and was not much fun to play. I've decided I can afford up to $300 this time around.

The thing is, I have pretty thick fingers, and a lot of the guitars I see at shops have quite thin necks. I realize this is supposed to help you play faster, but I think on many of these guitars the strings are just too close to be comfortable for me. Can anyone:

1) Recommend any guitars or styles that tend to have wider necks?

2) Give me an idea of what is considered wide and narrow (in inches, mm, whatever) so I can interpret specs?

Thanks.

Okay, $300.00 for a guitar right or thats with an amp as well? What type of music do you play?

My recommendation as for the information you have given me is to either get an Ibanez RG321 $249.99 or less or get this one.... http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_schecter_omen_6_electric_guitar?full_sku=101558112

I dont recommend getting single coil pickups, I recommend Humbuckers anyday or Fats
Quote by PsychoKNTX
http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/product/buy_ibanez_gsa60_electric_guitar?full_sku=101324887
-----------------------------
Your welcome- Ibanez kicks ass.
remember me when you're rich and famous. :P

Get the RG321 instead of ^^^^^^^^^^^
Quote by pinoyplaya
Okay, $300.00 for a guitar right or thats with an amp as well? What type of music do you play?

No, that's just for the guitar. I'll just use my old practice amp for now.

As for what music I want to play, it's pretty varied, so I'd like to find something versatile. I tried looking around at the equipment that some guitarists who I admire use, and basically some of them use les pauls and some use strats. I'm leaning toward a more LP-like guitar because I got to try a friend's epiphone once and thought it was really nice to play compared to that squier I had.

Thanks for the replies, everyone. So, it sounds like neck width probably doesn't vary much -- is that true? If so I'll just have to get used to closely spaced strings.

Oh yeah, and how do people feel about something like the Agile AL2500 in comparison to these other ones? That model seems to get really good reviews. Compared to, say, that Ibanez or Schechter, what would the differences probably be?

Thanks again!
Last edited by fulgentius at Jan 5, 2007,
Hope it's okay if I bump this. I'd really like to get some more opinions on this and it's been buried. Thanks!