Yeah, what the hell does that mean cause I want to write a song where the lyrics are bragging about how great I am, but I want the music to sound absolutely terrible....you know, irony and that stuff. So Ive heard that phrase before, "you gotta hear the notes he isnt playing" Is that about improvisational jazz or what? I want to master whatever technique that is. I think it was on the simpsons or something.
i always thought that saying was a joke, like spynal tap and all that jazz
Quote by Zeppfreak170
I onece dumped a girl that I was seeing who already had a boyfriend... So anyway she put on like a stone and i dumped her telling her it was because i felt really guilty etc etc.

But really it's cos she got fat!

No fat chicks !
I think it means that you should listen to the space between notes when playing...?

I'm not sure.
Last edited by Leonheart at Jan 5, 2007,
"ok thats a D, which means it cant be a B,C,E,G,F or A!"
"There are millions of people in the world, and none of those people are an extra. They're all leads in their own stories."
<//////>~
Yeah, I have heard that a lot. I think Leonheart pretty much said it, as it probably refers to using space in your playing instead of overplaying.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
people use it to bash shredding. what it means is picture this: hardcore shredder playing a million notes a second and sounding ok, then hendrix playing little wing or something slower like that and still sounding good or better (i like metal im not against this), its the notes hendrix isnt shoving in there that you become aware of.
░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀▀░░░░░░░░▀▀▄░░░░░
░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░
░█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░
░░█░░░░░░░░▄▄▀▄▄░░░░░░█░░
░░▀▄░░░▄▀▀▀░░░░░▀▄░░░█░░░
░░░▀▀█▄█░░█░░░█░░█▄▄▀░░░░
░░░░░░░█░░░░▀░░░░█░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██▄░░▀▀░▄█▀▄░░░░░░
░░░░▄▀░▀▄▀▀███▀▀▄▀░▀▄░░░░
░░░░█░░░░▀▄▀░▀▄▀░▄░░█░░░░
░░░░█░█░░░█░░░█░░█░░█░░░░
░░░░█░█░░░░▀▄▀▀▀▀█░░█░░░░
░░░░█░█░░░░░▄░░▄▀▀▄▄▀░░░░
░░░░█░█░░░░░▄░░█▄▄█░░░░░░
░░░░█▀▀▄░░░▄▄▄░░░▄▀░░░░░░
░░░░░▀▀█▀▀▀░▄░▀▀▀█░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░█░░░░█░░░░█░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░█▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄█░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░█░░░░█▄▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░
Quote by Necronomicon
people use it to bash shredding. what it means is picture this: hardcore shredder playing a million notes a second and sounding ok, then hendrix playing little wing or something slower like that and still sounding good or better (i like metal im not against this), its the notes hendrix isnt shoving in there that you become aware of.

You know what? I totally agree that a lot of people use it as a means to put down shred. I have seen that in countless interviews. There are some people that don't though.
Miss Scourge? PM me.

I am the mistress of ManWithoutAHat . This pleases me.
Im not sure thats what it means, cause I dont hear a lot of people say that about Hendrix. With Hendrix, listen to the notes he IS playing.
lol I'm not specifically talking about hendrix im talking about all the songs that sound good where people arent playing fast guitar, lots of blues if you're into that kind of thing.
Quote by Necronomicon
lol I'm not specifically talking about hendrix im talking about all the songs that sound good where people arent playing fast guitar, lots of blues if you're into that kind of thing.

I dont think Ive ever heard it in that context though. I hear it when someone is playing something that sounds horrible, almost to the point of it being incomprehensible.
to listen to the notes he isnt playing, you must first listen to the notes he is.
Quote by ih8u2
░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░
░░░░░▄▀▀▀░░░░░░░░▀▀▄░░░░░
░░▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░
░█▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█░░
░░█░░░░░░░░▄▄▀▄▄░░░░░░█░░
░░▀▄░░░▄▀▀▀░░░░░▀▄░░░█░░░
░░░▀▀█▄█░░█░░░█░░█▄▄▀░░░░
░░░░░░░█░░░░▀░░░░█░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██▄░░▀▀░▄█▀▄░░░░░░
░░░░▄▀░▀▄▀▀███▀▀▄▀░▀▄░░░░
░░░░█░░░░▀▄▀░▀▄▀░▄░░█░░░░
░░░░█░█░░░█░░░█░░█░░█░░░░
░░░░█░█░░░░▀▄▀▀▀▀█░░█░░░░
░░░░█░█░░░░░▄░░▄▀▀▄▄▀░░░░
░░░░█░█░░░░░▄░░█▄▄█░░░░░░
░░░░█▀▀▄░░░▄▄▄░░░▄▀░░░░░░
░░░░░▀▀█▀▀▀░▄░▀▀▀█░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░█▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄█░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░█░░░░█▄▄▄▄▀░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▀▀▀▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░

NEVAR FORGET!!
Quote by Slash Jr.
Forgive me for asking this but what is a dirty sanchez??

Quote by Teh_Guitarer
bahahahahahahahaha nice find ForbiddenDonut. you're my man...
Generally, this figure of speech means that someone can display as much skill playing a less complex piece of music well as he can playing a more complex piece. Anyone, for instance, can play the famous riff from Eric Clapton's "Wonderful Tonight," but it takes someone with Clapton's incredible skill to make it sound that good. Classically educated musicians (like myself) most often hear this figure of speech in reference to Beethoven, who could take only three notes and make them into what is possibly the most famous piece of music ever written (his Symphony No. 5), while other composers are trying to best him by cramming as many notes and runs and complexities into their works as possible.
Death to Ovation haters!