well guys im stuck in a real dilema here...i have a jem and i love it...but the thing is i like neck pickup tone of the js1000 better...its jsut that i dono how to descrbe it but that hollow sorta sound as opposed to the jem which is kind of a smoother sound...if i replaced the neck pick up would i get more of a vintage tone??thanks
Hold on now, make sure you're not in the coil tap mode in the JS1000 coz if you do, then that's a whole other different story (wiring).

If its just plain neck humbucker selection, then it would have rather different tone for your JEM7V? (assuming) since its alder. You could still always get a PAF Pro in there, experimenting is your best bet.

Or if you could find any guitar equipped with a PAF Pro + alder body somewhere, then that should be close enough to your JEM+PAF Pro tone.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
whats a good neck pick up for that kind of strat bridge sorta like tone but not quite a strat??i was going t get the js1000 but it just wasnt comfortable for me and i loved the jem and the sound was all good but that neck pick up is too warm for me
Paf Pro would be a great choice, the only thing is, i dont think it would sound as good being paired with Evolutions middle and bridge. Also look into Air Norton.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Technically, you can put pickups anywhere at any positions you want, but yeah, air nortons sound great on neck.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
and they will sound good with the evos??
does anyone have any other suggestions as well?
Last edited by jason_lee_91 at Jan 5, 2007,
Just so's you know, there's no way on earth you'll get any neck humbucker to sound like a strat bridge position.

The Air Norton still has that smooth, compressed tone - if you want something that breathes a bit more stick a Paf Pro or Paf Joe in there, or a Humbucker from Hell if you really want to make things about as bright as they'll get in the neck.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
You couldnt get a strat tone with full humbucker positioning. Unless you pair one of the humbucker coil with the middle (position 2), it should give you sorta strat's clean tone to it (which im not too fond of if you're getting a PAF Pro + Evolution Mid).

You could also re-wire your whole guitar to allow the humbuckers to be coil tapped (like the JS1000/JS1200) but it requires a proper diagram and patience. That'd also give you "almost strat tone" to it.

The only way you can get the sound of a strat neck pup position is to get a single coil in there, that'd mean you have to place a custom order for a new pickguard.
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
i dotn want a strat bridge tone i want a start neck tone

Well, ya did say bridge...

The closest you'll get to a single coil sound for a neck humbucker will be either the Dimarzio Humbucker from Hell or maybe the Seymour Duncan Stagg Mag. The Duncan Pearly Gates can chime pretty well too, but I reckon the Dimarzio is exactly what you're looking for if you don't want to piddle around with wiring.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
im interested in the coil tap thing...if i got a profesional to do it for me how much would it be worth??and how is it done?