Page 1 of 2
Hello all,

First post, might as well make it worthwhile. I have put together a "beginner's package" for myself, and am trying to see if I could do better. So far, I have:

Guitar: Ibanez GSZ120 - $200
Amp: Line 6 Spider III - $100
Tuner: Korg CA30 Chromatic - $20
Strap: Levy's Soft Suede - $20
Amp cable: Not sure - $xx
Picks: Dunlop Tortex -$3

Total: $343, free shipping. (without cables)

This is for me, someone who has NEVER played a guitar, and basically doesn't know where to start. Anything else I absolutely NEED to get started? Any changes? I'm going for bang for the buck here.

Can you recommend a cable for the amp/guitar connection? $20 or under preferably.

Thanks!
seems to me like your all set, but you better get yourself a teacher.
Quote:
guy-get an ak-47 shoot him and blame it on his dog
man-he dont have one... can someone siriously help me?!
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
make sure you get a low noise cable and you should be fine but just a question have you picked up this guitar does it feel good to you is it comfortable remember that you are going to be learning on this guitar so make sure that its comfortable sitting and standing and also make sure that the cable is at least i repeat at least 10 feet long good luck and enjoy i do
Quote by cowboysneverdie
make sure you get a low noise cable and you should be fine but just a question have you picked up this guitar does it feel good to you is it comfortable remember that you are going to be learning on this guitar so make sure that its comfortable sitting and standing and also make sure that the cable is at least i repeat at least 10 feet long good luck and enjoy i do

This Is Really Important I Spend At Lead 30-45 Mins In The Music Shop Playing The Guitar That I Might Try, Its Imprtant That You Try The Guitar Or One Like It
Quote by cowboysneverdie

+1 especially on the cable. Dont skimp out and get a shitty walmart one. Spend a the money and get a DiMarzio or something durable. Take it from me you will have lot less trouble if you just get a good cable
Founder of the EHX Users Guild
My Photography

Quote by Kyle-Rehm
Please don't tell me I'm the only one that clicked this thread thinking I would learn how to make my guitar sound like a grizzly bear.
Quote by deluxity
get a blues junior instead of a spider III

How come? Any particular reason?

Also, what kind of cable do you all recommend?

Thanks!
Just wanted to throw my support your way. I am a newb, too. I spent $400 plus tax on my setup, and I am thrilled so far. I am not an expert, but have been doing a lot of research. Your plan sounds wise for now. BTW... what is your AMP like??? Mine is 15W w/ reverb. Supposedly, it should be okay for jamming w/ friends. I guess I will have to wait & see about that.
"Smells Like Teen Spirit IS hard to play... Gosh!" - So Says Napolean Dynamite

Stagg X300-BK
Epiphone 15 Watt practice amp
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
^^wondering the same thing as moskovzkayGTRA about the cable. also, would strap locks be a good idea?
Line 6 makes shitty amps. The Spider III has plenty of built-in rock settings, but the tone just sucks.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030
That's a much better amp for the same price.
As for the cable, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Monster-Cable-S100-14-Straight-Instrument-Cable?sku=331638.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Quote by Chewbeckah
Just wanted to throw my support your way. I am a newb, too. I spent $400 plus tax on my setup, and I am thrilled so far. I am not an expert, but have been doing a lot of research. Your plan sounds wise for now. BTW... what is your AMP like??? Mine is 15W w/ reverb. Supposedly, it should be okay for jamming w/ friends. I guess I will have to wait & see about that.

I dunno what my amp is like, since I haven't ordered it yet.

Crap.. now I'm looking at Agile 2000's over the Ibanez, since I searched and saw that that particular Ibanez model isn't that great/made that well.
What do yall think about this for an amp??? Be honest... I won't take it personally. This link is to the Epiphone All Access package.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--EPIAAGUITAR

Edit: I tried the AMP last night... and it sounded great for my needs. Also, liked the cords, headphones, and strap that came with the kit. Just want to make sure that I am not headed for a nightmare breakdown in a few months time.

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
Last edited by Chewbeckah at Jan 5, 2007,
hey guys don't worry about the amp right now learn how to play first then fine tune your sound. There are an infintie number of amp combos, head and stack combos pedals effects you'll go crazy trying to find the difference of 4 ohms in a speaker when you don't even know what style and sound you really like yet just get something the sounds good your ears ( which you haven't developed yet to know the difference between enough amps) and learn how to play. If you spend 60 to 100 on an amp it will do what you need it to just buy a good cable buy good strings and have fun .
Quote by MoskovzkayaGTRA
I dunno what my amp is like, since I haven't ordered it yet.

Crap.. now I'm looking at Agile 2000's over the Ibanez, since I searched and saw that that particular Ibanez model isn't that great/made that well.

I just googled both those guitars. According to what I read before buying mine, you'll probably want to go with the Ibanez if you're planning to play metal. (Something to do with the humbucker pickups, I think.) Ibanez is one of the most highly rated guitars for beginners as well. Probably what I would have gotten if I had not run across this baby at my local Mom & Pop music store. Looks like a similar setup to your Ibanez. It makes me feel like batgirl. Now all I need is a corvette!

P.S. Thanks to everyone in this thread for your feedback.

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
Last edited by Chewbeckah at Jan 5, 2007,
Quote by bosox097
thanks crackhead, and what length should i get on the cable?
and is this amp ok for a fender strat?
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Drive-CD100-Guitar-Practice-Amp?sku=480390

That amp doesn't look very reliable. I've never heard anything about it or tried it though.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
I think I will play more stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, TOOL, 311, Green Day, etc. than hardcore metal. Maybe even some stuff like Sublime, System of a Down, and even Lynyrd Skynyrd. Less metal, more rock I guess. Would the Ibanez not work for this?
I just noticed the Agile SX GG5 - same price as the Agile AL-2000 but I like the look A LOT more. Good guitar for my needs, or not so much?
Quote by MoskovzkayaGTRA
I think I will play more stuff like Red Hot Chili Peppers, TOOL, 311, Green Day, etc. than hardcore metal. Maybe even some stuff like Sublime, System of a Down, and even Lynyrd Skynyrd. Less metal, more rock I guess. Would the Ibanez not work for this?

I'm sure the Ibanez would work great for what you are planning. More specifically, I read that humbucker pickups (Ibanez) perform best in conjunction with songs that emphasize the bass strings. Don't let me influence you too much... just throwing in my 2 cents. I think the more experienced guys & gals here will have more reliable advice for you.

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
Quote by Chewbeckah
I'm sure the Ibanez would work great for what you are planning. More specifically, I read that humbucker pickups (Ibanez) perform best in conjunction with songs that emphasize the bass strings. Don't let me influence you too much... just throwing in my 2 cents. I think the more experienced guys will have better advice for you. :wink:

Thanks! I'll wait for more opinions. I just don't have more than $400 to spend on everything, so I want to get everything just right (aka, I don't want a guitar that specializes in speed metal if I'm not going to play much speed metal).
with humbuckers it should be ok just have to use more distortion for the heavier stuff humbuckers give you that nice crunchy sound for hard rock and stuff. I play a strat with single coil but I like blues and country and and they are perfect for what I play.
Quote by cowboysneverdie
with humbuckers it should be ok just have to use more distortion for the heavier stuff humbuckers give you that nice crunchy sound for hard rock and stuff. I play a strat with single coil but I like blues and country and and they are perfect for what I play.

I see. Do you know anything about the SX GG5 Custom Semi-hollow from Rondo? How is it different from the Agile-2000? They cost the same, but I like the look of the SX GG5 better - but how are they different?
Ok, see if i can throw a monkey wrench into the works. Ever thought about buying a used guitar? My first guitar was used and it still plays great. Go to a local music store/pawn shop and play some of their used guitars. Then go home and do research on the model you just played. I do agree on getting a good cable. I made the mistake of buying crappy cables (went through about 7 in as many months). Finally i just ponied up the bread and bought a monster cable and a planet waves cable. Both are excellent and, when taken care of, will last. As for the amp. The line 6 is a good buy for the money. It has decent tone and will go plenty loud if you are just sitting around playing.
Thanks, zero. I'll see about a used guitar.

I think I just found the perfect guitar for me. It's more for blues/southern rock/rock than metal. It's a B-stock (maybe a small blemish, not affecting the tone) Epiphone Dot Studio. $200 instead of $300 for a non-B-stock one. Reviews are good, and it's available. Might just pull the trigger on that one.
Ooooooo! That IS a hot one. Pull the trigger. Do it!!! Here's some cowbell for you!!!

P.S. I think a used guitar is a GREAT idea. I plan to do that when/if I upgrade.

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
Line 6 makes shitty amps. The Spider III has plenty of built-in rock settings, but the tone just sucks.
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Cube-15X-Amp?sku=487030
That's a much better amp for the same price.

+1

or even
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Roland-Micro-Cube-Battery-Powered-Amp-with-COSM-and-Effects?sku=480196
if you manage to find the extra $25. I say this one cause even when you upgrade later you'll probably still find a use for the micro.
Last edited by treagar at Jan 5, 2007,
Argh! So much of the advice I've seen in here is crap!

"The Epi has Alnico pickups, you'll be happy with it"
"Ooh! That's hot! OMG COWBELL LOL!"
"Get a Blues Jr. instead of a Spider III"
"Humbuckers emphasize your bass strings"

Long story short, don't advise people when you don't know what you're on about.

Right. Don't get the Spider, it has crappy fake cleans and generally poor distortion.
Blues Jr. amps are great for blues, but I strongly doubt you can do SOAD with them. I'd recommend you steer clear of the Marshall MG and Spiders, and go for a VOX AD15VT.

The Epiphone Dot Studio is decent, and sounds like it'd suit your needs, but it has a deep tone. RHCP uses single coils too which give a punchier, brighter tone so you may want to consider a HSH/HSS guitar. Humbuckers are bassier than singles, and handle distortion better, and are quieter than singles

I'd look into this guitar: http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Squier-51-Electric-Guitar?sku=519636

It has 1 HB in the bridge and a single in the neck, a decent neck, very cheap and has a good body. Apparently it's won awards too.

Edit: In fact, if you were to get that guitar + amp (which I would strongly recommend) you'd have about $50 left after the rest of your equipment. Maybe you could buy some upgrades for the Squier from www.guitarfetish.com ?
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Last edited by MrCarrot at Jan 5, 2007,
The alnicos will go good with the semi hollow body you git thats what hes been looking at the whole time if he had said he wanted a solid body i would have told him to get a strat of either the Squier or Fender brand cause that's what I play so bugger off.

wanker
Well, a little update:

I purchased everything but a strap.

I got the Epiphone Dot Studio, the Roland 15X amp, the Korg 30CA tuner, some Dunlop Tortex picks, and a 12' Monster cable.

Pretty stoked right now!
Planet Waves cables are guaranteed for life, and are great cables in any case, so you're better off buying them from the start.
Gear as 2015:
Ibanez PGM401
Music Man JP6 (for sale)
Music Man Axis (for sale)
Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster
Ibanez EW Acoustic Steel string
Crappy Cort Acoustic 12-string
NI Rig Kontrol 3 & Guitar Rig 5
congrats man

theres not too much to buying a strap, just make sure its good quality
gear:
fender mim telecaster w/ some extra stuff
Vox Ad50vt
Vox V847 Wah
Boss OS-2
Keeley Boss DS-1 Ultra
Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi USA
MXR Phase 90
Boss CH-1
Quote by cowboysneverdie
The alnicos will go good with the semi hollow body you git thats what hes been looking at the whole time if he had said he wanted a solid body i would have told him to get a strat of either the Squier or Fender brand cause that's what I play so bugger off.

wanker

Yeah dude... MrCarrots... don't be a wanker. There is nothing wrong with the advice/information I gave MoskovzkayaGTRA, & there sure the hell is nothing wrong with the Cowbell. It's a respectable percussion instrument.

MoskovzkayaGTRA, Congratufockinlations. I am happy for you that you found a nice deal on something that you are excited about. Keep us posted.

P.S.

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
Last edited by Chewbeckah at Jan 6, 2007,
Well, as for me, I started playing the guitar just before New Years and wow when I went to GC, I thought I would only end up spending no more than $300.00 for both the guitar and the amp but as I kept looking and getting feedbacks here in the forum, I ended up spending almost $900.00 for my set. Hehe, but I love it though! Now, I need to spend $50.00 more for Guitar Pro...... GRRRRR
Quote by pinoyplaya
Well, as for me, I started playing the guitar just before New Years and wow when I went to GC, I thought I would only end up spending no more than $300.00 for both the guitar and the amp but as I kept looking and getting feedbacks here in the forum, I ended up spending almost $900.00 for my set. Hehe, but I love it though! Now, I need to spend $50.00 more for Guitar Pro...... GRRRRR

LOL. I just spent another $125 dollars this evening to buy a hard case so that I can safely take my acoustic on a plane. Throw in another $20 for a Johnny Cash music book. Damn you GC. GRRRRRR!

Stagg X300-BK
Ernie Ball 'Inked' strap
Yamaha SCF08 acoustic
HumiCase
Quote by MoskovzkayaGTRA
Well, a little update:

I purchased everything but a strap.

I got the Epiphone Dot Studio, the Roland 15X amp, the Korg 30CA tuner, some Dunlop Tortex picks, and a 12' Monster cable.

Pretty stoked right now!

Congratz Mos, not a bad little beginners pack you got there you should enjoy that.
Yeah, I'm especially glad that you got the Cube 15X. It is probably the best amp you could have gotten. Pravil'niy vybor!

American Stratocaster + Blues Junior

Quote by Chewbeckah
LOL. I just spent another $125 dollars this evening to buy a hard case so that I can safely take my acoustic on a plane. Throw in another $20 for a Johnny Cash music book. Damn you GC. GRRRRRR!

Ye, GC takes all your money! Which case did you buy? I got the Roadrunner Hard Case
Quote by deluxity
get a blues junior instead of a spider III

To me, that is terrible advice, having him being just a beginner guitarist, i'm not saying that the blues junior is worse than the spider. He's a beginner guitarist,
a. He's not gonna have an ear for tone, (no offense, no one does one they first start)
b. He also could change genres on what he wants to play, he's just starting, and a spider is more overall versatile than the blues junior. YOu can't play metal with a blues junior. For those people who say, well yeah just get an od/distortion pedal? then he'll be spending a lot more. Which brings me to my next point
c. Since he just started, he doesn't need to spend a whole lot of money

Overall, i think that what you have is perfectly fine for what you paid for, the spider is a nice amp to practice on, and will get you learning how to use amps and etc.

Page 1 of 2