hi im going to start writting my first solo soon and i need some helps or some step by step guide or something any help?

many thanks
There might be some guides here on UG but for the most part...Work with scales and sort of "improvise". Use them as your "building blocks" and just sort of use them in different keys and alternate a little - Scales are important in that...take it slowly and mess around a bit, find what you like - At least it's what I do.
Good luck~

-Wahrheit Lied
I need a sig. :O!
The way I do it, is come up with a melody or a motif (sp?) in my head, just sort of hum it to myself - comes a lot easier that way than trying to instantly play it or write it down. Once I have some sort of a melody going, try and reproduce it on the guitar - it'll usually belong with a scale or an arpeggio - or a few of them. I make sure to record the main melody - that'll become the theme of my solo, and decide on how I want my solo to start and end. Then see if I can - and if I need to - come up with any embelishments for it. Sometimes the melody itself will be enough, especially if it's a shorter solo; sometimes I'll add a few breaks, tempo changes, or whatever extra techniques in there - tapping licks, harmonics, slides, etc. The important thing is to make sure your solo is going somewhere - you have a starting point and an ending point, and whatever higher and lower points of the solo highlighted, so that you don't end up with soloing just for the sake of it.

Here's a few examples of some of the more common solo types I write-

The most basic ones that are just a simple melody; those usually consist of half a dozen or a dozen notes on an arpeggio or scale of sorts, then I'll play the same (or a similar) pattern in several spots on the fretboard, repeating the same melody in a higher or lower pitch. Often this sort of a melody is simply a repetition of the vocal line of the song played on guitar.

A very basic way to extend the simple melody solo would be to start it with your main melody, throw in a break of some sorts in the middle, then repeat the main melody again, possibly with more intensity and a modified ending. Could make the break be anything from a scalar run to a few sweeps, or simply playing your melody with doublestops.

Another use type of solos that I really like, are solos to build up tension. More often than not, it's going to be a scalar run of some sorts, moving either up or down in pitch, but not quite reaching it's resolution note; it's often very cool to leave the last, unresolved, note of the solo ring out for a while, possibly doing a vibrato or a whammy dive of sorts with it, then end the solo abruptly with a quick 'move'?(can't think of a right word for this) into your chorus or last verse.

Mmm.. I think I'm rambling now, and I'm at work at the moment so I don't really have the option of writing some quick examples for you now (since I wouldn't be able to play it and see if it's actually any good!) but I hope this helps a little!!!

To put this briefly, the main tip I have for you is decide in your head what you want your solo to do and where should it take you, THEN start playing/writing it. Otherwise you're likely to end up soloing just for the sake of it, which is fun but will ruin your songs (unless you're Steve Vai :p)
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
think oddly and keep to the song. Try to break out
Keepa Cooli Baby at the shrine

PM HeartBreaker To Join Zeppelinism

Steey Dan Founding father

Bodhisattva wont you take me by the Hand?

Pm Caseguitar To Join the Steely Dan Club

Fender Armada #2 member Pm Arlabester to join
oh and break the rules but do it intelligently.
Keepa Cooli Baby at the shrine

PM HeartBreaker To Join Zeppelinism

Steey Dan Founding father

Bodhisattva wont you take me by the Hand?

Pm Caseguitar To Join the Steely Dan Club

Fender Armada #2 member Pm Arlabester to join
the way I do it is a bit weird (at least is seems to me).

i play the rhythm while improvising a guitar solo with my voice. then I play exactly what i improvised with my voice on the guitar. this becomes the basic structure of the solo. Then I add little things like bends or whatever and basically alter the basic structure to make a full blown solo.

that's how I do it when i'm writing a song. weird, huh?
METALLICA.
Quote by Prologue
the way I do it is a bit weird (at least is seems to me).

i play the rhythm while improvising a guitar solo with my voice. then I play exactly what i improvised with my voice on the guitar. this becomes the basic structure of the solo. Then I add little things like bends or whatever and basically alter the basic structure to make a full blown solo.

that's how I do it when i'm writing a song. weird, huh?

that's actually a very good idea...Marty Friedman actually suggests imagining the chord progression in your head while improvising a melody - but then again, he is lightyears ahead of the average player
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
Quote by axe_grinder247
that's actually a very good idea...Marty Friedman actually suggests imagining the chord progression in your head while improvising a melody - but then again, he is lightyears ahead of the average player

crazy, thats what i do (though i'm no marty friedman) the guy who said he "hums it" i basically also do that too, but i skip the humming part and just listen to what i hear in my head and play it out.
the beauty of writing solos are that u don't do the same thing twice.
u can see that jimi hendrix never does the same solo.
neither does clapton.
when u listen to the same thing over and over again, im sure u'll get bored of it.
get to the point where i improvise everything, record it, then tab it out later.
i think that's pretty good
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard