Hey, I am looking for the best acoustic or acoustic-electric I can get for 300-700 dollars. I was looking at the epiphone pr6e but reviews seem to be mixed. I live in Australia if that makes any difference. Also a cutaway would be awesome. Thankyou!
i played this seagull the other day and really liked it its got a solid cedar top cherry sides and back a cutaway and built in electronics. not sure if they have seagulls in australia but it fit everything your looking for and was only $650 US at my local guitar store

http://www.seagullguitars.com/productperformercwcedargt.htm
My Gear

Digitech GNX2
Jasmine by Takamine Acoustic
Agile LP3000 Prestige
Crate MX65R
Epiphone Masterbilt AJ500M
Seeing as your down under defs go for a Maton or a Cole Clark.
Both companies have an entry level model thats retails for about 700.
Out of the two (The Maton M225 and the Cole Clark Fat Lady 1) the Fat Lady is much better value.
IMO those two guitars are the best value for money at that price. And npth companies continue to be the best value for money as you creep up in price. Best mid-highish end guitars in Aus i reckon.

I have played the Maton (The EM225C which has a cutaway and a pickup added onto the M225, but more expensive) and it sounds really nice and is a dream to play. My cousin has one so i play it whenever I'm at his house, which is quite alot.
I have played the Cole Clark in shops. And it looks way better, sounds better and is also really nice to play. And for the same price you get solid woods on the back and sides as well as the top. The Maton only has a solid top, laminate back and sides.

So on paper the Cole Clark is better. But just try them both and find which one you like better.
You should probably try some of the other guitars in your price range, but i reckon you will end up coming back to the Maton or the Cole Clark

EDIT:
The Only Seagull in your price range is the S6. And i personally like the Aussie made guitars better. The Seagull is nice. But the Aussie ones are really good too. Plus, it would drive me nuts to have to look at that goddamn Seagull headstock

EDIT AGAIN:
Try get the shop to throw in a hard case for free, or at least cheap with the guitar. Even if you dont plan on traveling alot it does help when you chuck it in the backseat of the car, or if you need to shove it in a cupboard or under a bed or something if you need space at home. You don't need tow worry about it getting beat up in a case, whereas when you try to do all of that with a gig bag. Well, it doesnt make any reall difference if i gets dropped in a gig bag or if it gets dropped when its not in anything. The gig bag just keeps the dust off and gives oyu a handle or two to carry the thing around with
Last edited by johnos at Jan 5, 2007,
Quote by johnos

The Only Seagull in your price range is the S6. And i personally like the Aussie made guitars better. The Seagull is nice. But the Aussie ones are really good too. Plus, it would drive me nuts to have to look at that goddamn Seagull headstock

Seagulls sure are nice guitars, but I'm not sure about the weird name, it sounds like a cheap Chinese guitar, and puts me off them. Hippopotamus sounds better, or Penguin maybe.
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?
Quote by DJaye
Seagulls sure are nice guitars, but I'm not sure about the weird name, it sounds like a cheap Chinese guitar, and puts me off them. Hippopotamus sounds better, or Penguin maybe.

Be weary when you have a guitar named "Lucky excellent inexpensive superstar" from China LOL

Best $300-700 guitar wouldn't be an acoustic/electric. The best sounding guitar I've tried (and subsequently ended up buying) was the Yamaha FG750s.
Quote by johnos
Seeing as your down under defs go for a Maton or a Cole Clark.
Both companies have an entry level model thats retails for about 700.
Out of the two (The Maton M225 and the Cole Clark Fat Lady 1) the Fat Lady is much better value.
IMO those two guitars are the best value for money at that price. And npth companies continue to be the best value for money as you creep up in price. Best mid-highish end guitars in Aus i reckon.

I have played the Maton (The EM225C which has a cutaway and a pickup added onto the M225, but more expensive) and it sounds really nice and is a dream to play. My cousin has one so i play it whenever I'm at his house, which is quite alot.
I have played the Cole Clark in shops. And it looks way better, sounds better and is also really nice to play. And for the same price you get solid woods on the back and sides as well as the top. The Maton only has a solid top, laminate back and sides.

So on paper the Cole Clark is better. But just try them both and find which one you like better.
You should probably try some of the other guitars in your price range, but i reckon you will end up coming back to the Maton or the Cole Clark

EDIT:

EDIT AGAIN:
Try get the shop to throw in a hard case for free, or at least cheap with the guitar. Even if you dont plan on traveling alot it does help when you chuck it in the backseat of the car, or if you need to shove it in a cupboard or under a bed or something if you need space at home. You don't need tow worry about it getting beat up in a case, whereas when you try to do all of that with a gig bag. Well, it doesnt make any reall difference if i gets dropped in a gig bag or if it gets dropped when its not in anything. The gig bag just keeps the dust off and gives oyu a handle or two to carry the thing around with

Thankyou for the big reply! I just need to find a stocker of cole clark. I really like the look of the fat lady (lol). Any tips on getting a cheaper price? What should I say? I'm not very good at that...
I second the seagull, great guitars.
Raoul Duke: There's a uh, big machine in the sky, some kind of, I dunno, electric snake, coming straight at us.

Dr. Gonzo: Shoot it.

Raoul Duke: Not yet, I want to study its habits.
where do you live?
http://www.acousticcentre.com.au/
Is a good shop If you live near one of theyre shops.

But pretty much, when it comes to getting the price down. First of all i look to find the retail price.
And then once I have found that i look around on the web and see what prices look like (keeping in mind that some shops only show retail price, not the actual price you should be paying for the thing)
Then once you have a bit of an idea of prices go into your favourite shop.
Find what you want (the more expensive it is the more you can get off) and also maybe ask the salesman what else they would recomend. They may have something better, but it also shows how much they know, as you should have done your research about the guitars in your price range and whats good etc etc.

Make sure the salesman knows that you know whats good and whats not.
Then once you have 100percent made up your mind just go find the salesman as well. Show him which one you want.

This is the point where you making sure the salesman knows that you have a good idea about what your buying comes in handy. Because he should know that if he tries to rip you off you will know what he is up too. And he will loose a sale.
Do some umming and arring even if you just want to whip your wallet out straight away so you can get the thing home and play it.
Try to sound a bit uncertain about if you should buy it right now or come back later or go to another shop etc etc.
The salesman should be trying to tell you how good the product is. And then you say something like. I'll bring out ym wallet right now if you throw in so and so case. Or say $600 and I'll pay right now (if the guitar is down from 800 - 900 bucks)

And if he says no then you go find yourself another shop. The shop will still make money from you getting a free case or a few hundred bucks off (depending on how expensive the guitar is that you are buying) and they want to make a sale. Thats how they make a living.
But if you start to feel a little squeemish about it. Just think, It's your hard earned money that your paying with. You dont want too loose anymore than you possibly can. And you defs dont want to get ripped off.

So yeah, just look like your uncertain and then when they try to convince you make an offer (a reasonable offer that is. Dont ask for 200 off a 300 dollar guitar and dont ask for the most expensive case unless you will be buying a quite expensive guitar, cos cases are expensive)

EDIT:
If you are overseas and Matons and Cole Clarks are scarce, and Seagulls are easy to find ten yes that would probably be the way to go.
But As i think i have allready said. I dont believe the Seagulls represent the best value for money in Australia. But definatly try one. Doesnt hurt, might help.
^^^^ Hey Jonno, are Cole Clarks plentiful where you are? because my guitar shop is on a 2 month waiting list. As soon as they get them, they are sold. I was super lucky getting my Fatlady 1AC, because two separate customers rocked up the following day, with cash in their hand ready to buy it, but by then it was too late (tough luck for them).

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

Last edited by DJaye at Jan 5, 2007,
so for the FL1AC. RRP $1399
How much Could I get off? Without a case? I really want the pickup and the cutaway but it is a little outa my price range. Some other shop said that was the RRP and their price was 999.

EDIT: btw I live in Melbourne. Near the city.

EDIT 2:

FL1 all solid dreadnaught acoustic $999 $799 buy it
FL1AC as above with pickup & cutaway $1499 $1199 buy it

that is guitar paradise.
Last edited by mooshoepork at Jan 5, 2007,
I have a taylor 214 and its has matured great! the sounds is amazing and is up there with many of the high end guitars ive played, 614, etc. I would recomend this guitar to anyone.

-b-
"TONE ADDICT"
Quote by mooshoepork
so for the FL1AC. RRP $1399
How much Could I get off? Without a case? I really want the pickup and the cutaway but it is a little outa my price range. Some other shop said that was the RRP and their price was 999.

EDIT: btw I live in Melbourne. Near the city.

EDIT 2:

FL1 all solid dreadnaught acoustic $999 $799 buy it
FL1AC as above with pickup & cutaway $1499 $1199 buy it

that is guitar paradise.

Well, I got my FL1AC from "Buzz Music" in Cairns, and it had a ticket price of $1299 but I got them down to $1199 and they included a Hard Case as well, which is worth about $200 (I think).

Just tell em you did some ringing around, and another store offered you the deal I just mentioned.

Put it this way, in a few months time, you are going to be so happy you bought a Cole Clark. Nothing even comes close to them for the price. It is solid timber throughout. There isnt even kirfing inside.

The neck construction is Patented, as is the front brace sensor, which picks up the tone of the wood. It is cutting edge stuff, and is used in several recording studios in Brisbane and Sydney. (that I know of, and probably a lot more).

They are opening a Franchise in the USA soon as well, that says it all really. The US market is a hard nut to crack, but they have done it with ease.

Brad Clark worked with Maton for over 11 years. He started off as floor manager, then designer & finally as Company President, so he knows his stuff.

I might just have to get the one without the cutaway and pickup. I don't need a case. If I could get the actual guitar for 1000 i'd be happy.
Quote by fsb_ben
Be weary when you have a guitar named "Lucky excellent inexpensive superstar" from China LOL . . . . .

he he he he he . . .

Quote by mooshoepork
I might just have to get the one without the cutaway and pickup. I don't need a case. If I could get the actual guitar for 1000 i'd be happy.

(sorry for the double post, I am severely hung over).

Mate, I really think you should hold off for a few weeks and save up the extra $200. If you don't, you are really going to kick yourself later, trust me.

If you are gonna spend $1000 you may as well hold off and add the $200 and get the guitar of your dreams, it is not a huge difference, but gives you huge extras like the Pick-ups and cutaway.

Yeah, I should save up a bit more. But realistically can I expect to get the cutaway one without a case for 1000? or with a case for 1200?
Quote by mooshoepork
Yeah, I should save up a bit more. But realistically can I expect to get the cutaway one without a case for 1000? or with a case for 1200?

Nah, I don't think you will find one that cheap, with the pick-ups. I know you don't want a road case, but they cost sellers about $50, thats why they can afford to include them with the deal, and lets face it, unless your a hermit, there will be times that your guitar will be taken in the car some place, and I am really sure you won't want to get it dinged up.

If they are stupid enough to include one with the deal, you may as well take it, because I have never seen a Cole Clark FL1AC for less than AU$1200 case or no case.

Billy Hydes had them in the last 2 times i was in there. Thats the Flemington shop as it is a 10min tram ride from my house.
The Acoustic Centre should have some in stock.
Apparently the Glenroy music store (which is also quite close to my house) has them in sotck but i have never actually been in there.
A mate told me he saw them in there.
As far as i know none of the Allen's stores stock them.

For the Fat Lady you should be able to pick it up for about $700.

The FL1AC, well i dunno about that one, retails for $1400. Billy Hydes website has it listed for $1100.
Not sure if you could get them down any cheaper. I think seeing as they appear to be in short supply in some places (allthough I'm thinking that being in Melbourne, and Cole Clark operating out in Melbourne we may have a better supply, just a theory though) you might not be able to get in cheaper, but you hould still be able to get them to throw in some stuff for free which is always good. Get a capo, some picks, a tuner, defs a few sets of strings (strings, once you add up how much they cost over a period of time, cost ALOT) dunno, whatever.
I would still be aiming to get a hard case though. Just because, if it lived in my house it would often be getting shoved into all sorts of places to keep it out of the way, and you don't have to worry about it getting damaged when you shove it behind a door or under a bed if it has a hard case. Also whenever i have had a guitar in the backseat in a gig bag it always gets thrown about a little, and all it takes is for you to brake hard fro whatever reason and you have a guitar flying around the back... Snapped neck possibly, maybe nothing. But i would just feel safer keeping my guitar in a hard case. Especially an expensive guitar, as a gig bag will protect it from aging too quickly, and it will keep the dust off. But it wont do it as well as a hard case, and with a hard case it also prevents damage as well as aging and getting dusty.

EDIT:
If its the pickup that you are really after (maybe think about if you really need it or not, i no i dont, but i want something with a cutaway so When i make my next purchase i will be getting the FL1AC) then you can get the guitar without the cutaway but with the pickup for $1000

EDIT AGAIN (Far out, I'm doing alot of editing):
Stay away from the low end Martins and Taylors.
They make fantastic guitars that are extremely expensive. But when you get down to their low end you are paying mostly for the brand name. The actual guitar will not be that fantastic. Same deal with say Yamaha. Make an absolutely fantastic budget guitar, So do Alvarez who make high quality low end guitars, that all come with cases, which is a very nice extra. But when it creeps up into the mid end theyre are other companies who make a much better guitar for the price. But that same companies lower end guitar poses no competition for the similarly priced Yamaha.
Just make sure that your not paying for the brand name and not the actual guitar
Wait, can I get the cutaway WITHOUT the pickup? I just want the cutaway, I thought I had to get the pickup with the cutaway.
nope, only the other way round.
You can get the pickup with the cutaway.
But not the cutaway without the pickup.

Disappointing eh?
I want the exact same thing. A cutaway, on a Maton 225 or a Cole Clark Fat Lady 1. With no pickup.
Tell me if you ever find one (once one of the companies start making them that is)
I don't know if the cutaway is worth all that extra money... The pickup won't be used by me that often so hmm...
Get a seagull and put some EXP's on them. And if not that, go with the Cole Clark. I actually tried one the other day. Expected it to be shitty, but the sound and playability was quite impressive. Not as much as a Taylor though.
Quote by Matic
Get a seagull and put some EXP's on them. And if not that, go with the Cole Clark. I actually tried one the other day. Expected it to be shitty, but the sound and playability was quite impressive. Not as much as a Taylor though.

I'm not big on the EXP's. Mainly just because they don't last me a significantly longer time and cost a fair whack more, and i don't have a job.
Quote by mooshoepork
I don't know if the cutaway is worth all that extra money... The pickup won't be used by me that often so hmm...

Well you can still access those upper frets without, its just a bit of a stretch. For me, cos i have longish fingers its only fret 19 and 20 that pose a real challenge.

If you can afford the extra it's probably a good idea to do it so you hopefully wont want to buy a new guitar anytime in the next few years after.
But yeah, whatever, its your money. Gotta figure it out
Quote by johnos
I'm not big on the EXP's. Mainly just because they don't last me a significantly longer time and cost a fair whack more, and i don't have a job.

ohhh man the EXP's are OUTSTANDING. Well w/e. I've had mine for a year and they still make me happy. They make one of my $300.00 guitars sound like a pretty high end one. lol.

but i definetly have to agree that the price isn't fair.
I'm going to head into cranbourne music and play one, to see if I like it, then I will go back another day to bargain with the guy :P
Quote by mooshoepork
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=190049854645

this one on ebay went for a good price. I am going to head to cranbourne music (in the city) to play one as soon as I can. Thanks for the help! I really want the cutaway, I might just save up!

At first glance that looks like a deal, but you still need to add postage, which makes it close to $1150 and it doesn't come with a case either. I would still pay the extra $50 and have the luxury of a case.

Plus its eBay, if you have a problem with it, you are shit out of luck.

Dude, seriously, when you see this other lot, tell em a shop offered you the FL1AC for $1199 including a Hard Case, make sure they give you one, eh.

Or just say you had a friend who bought one from Billy Hyde (which has them for $1100) and he got a free hard case as well.

Make sure they give you free stuff if they wont bring the price down anymore.