Okay, I'm planning to replace the stock PUs of my PRS SE Custom II. My band has a pretty Opeth-ish tone. I'm not looking for extreme gain; rather I prefer an overall warm tone, with neck having more clarity & the bridge having a higher gain. But what I require most is INFINITE sustain. I think I'll go for a Fernandes Sustainer in the neck. What'd you say? And what'd you recommend for the bridge?
Dimarzio will fit anything
Quote:
guy-get an ak-47 shoot him and blame it on his dog
man-he dont have one... can someone siriously help me?!
guy-just jack one froma local pet store. throw it in his yard. shoot him. duck tape the ak-14 to the dogs paw. run.. use gloves.
^ Yea I already thought of that. But the e-bow requires some mastering, something that I'll have trouble doing :s (I'm a slow learner)...

EDIT: And what do you guys think of the Fernandes Sustainer PU? Haven't seen many people talking about it...
Last edited by Uphill_Battle at Jan 5, 2007,
If you want warm, high output pickups then go for a Dimarzio Breed pair...they're the warmest pickups Dimarzio make. They're a lot more balanced than some of the higher output ones too - they don't have that severe mid spike like the Tone Zone and Fred. I think those sustainers are a bit of a gimmick TBH, they're only ever going to be as good as the rest of your rig, and if the rest of your rig is decent enough then you won't need one. I'd look to other areas than pickups for sustain...just get a compressor and your sorted.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Compressors, as far as I've heard, increase the sustain but thins the tone and makes it less responsive to harmonics...

And as for the PUs, a warm tone is nice, but an overly warm PU in the neck would make it sound muddy I guess. I want a PU setup which has overall warmth, but the neck should have more clarity and the bridge gain. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestion bro.
Quote by Uphill_Battle
^ Yea I already thought of that. But the e-bow requires some mastering, something that I'll have trouble doing :s (I'm a slow learner)...

EDIT: And what do you guys think of the Fernandes Sustainer PU? Haven't seen many people talking about it...

I've heard a lot of good things about the fernandes sustainer. They got the patents on what seems to be the best sustainer design. I know a few people that have tried to make stuff that is "as good" and haven’t been able to.

Edit

I do agree with whom ever said that sustainers are a bit of a gimmick. They do make your guitar sustain forever, but they don't sound natural. If you don't want the U2 “with or without you” tone then you should probably look at something other than a sustainer. But then again, a sustainer is the only way I know of to get infinite sustain. I guess it's a catch 22.
Not taking any online orders.
Last edited by CorduroyEW at Jan 5, 2007,
It's easier to hit harmonics with a compressor on.. just to put a stop the that myth... Compresser make everything the same volume, so all the little harmonics one never quite hears, are amplified... but yes, the tone is slightly 'thinned'...

There are lots of high sustain pups out there, but i always think they sound and feel rather.... sterile... I've you want sustain AND tone... BKPs are the way forward... well... for the rich at least...

Ummm... depends what genre you're into... There things like the mule for a classic tone, or if heavier's your game, the warpig... or whatever it's called... just go on the website and listen to some samples!