I'm working on my alt picking, which I can't seem to get very fast......any tips?

But my main question is, does Joe Satriani use alt picking or legato? And If its legato, how exactly do you play legato, like when do you use the pick?
Quote by Megatallica
But my main question is, does Joe Satriani use alt picking or legato? And If its legato, how exactly do you play legato, like when do you use the pick?
Joe Satriani uses both. To play Legato, you don't need to pick a string. Simply hammering-on, pulling-off, or tapping the string should get it vibrating, but if you want to pick something, pick the first note on each string.
When you're playing stuff with a lot of legato, picked notes will usually be there for accents - since unless your fingers are superstrong and you're REALLY good with legato (like Satch-level good), your picked notes WILL sound stronger than unpicked ones. The most common usage of picking in legato licks is to pick first note on every string, or only the first note of the beat, or the first and the last notes of the beat.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
|------------------------------------------------------1-2-3-4--4-3-2-1-----------------------------------------
|--------------------------------------------1-2-3-4----------------------4-3-2-1-------------------------------
|--------------------------------1-2-3-4--------------------------------------------4-3-2-1---------------------
|----------------------1-2-3-4----------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-----------
|------------1-2-3-4------------------------------------------------------------------------------------4-3-2-1-
|-1-2-3-4---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Slap on a metronome and do this. make sure u use index middle ring and pinky in it, and alternate pick it. start slow and build up speed, never give up cleanliness for speed.

If you want after you do this run, move up a half step to the second fret and do it, then a half step again, until you get to the 24th fret, and then do it back.
Quote by Megatallica

I'm working on my alt picking, which I can't seem to get very fast......any tips?

Ya know, it seems a lot of people approach playing guitar with only 1 goal in
mind: HOW FAST CAN I PLAY THIS THING?

Legato and alternate picking are 2 completely different techniques. One doesn't
replace the other. A good player will be very at ease with both of them. They
produce different results.

My main tip about playing fast, is don't really try. It'll happen if you really concentrate
on playing well. I could go on a lot about what "playing well" means, but I think
you can find out a lot about that by doing some research and reading some articles.
speed comes with practice...your sole purpose while practicing should be to get the technique down with perfect execution with the least amount of tension and effort as possible, all while practicing slow, so that with constant practice, you can increase your speed gradually without hitting roadblocks

and satch is known to be quite fond of using his impeccable legato
Quote by BigFatSandwich
it took you 15 consecutive hours of practice to realize that playing guitar makes you better at playing guitar. congratulations.

Quote by Sharp_as_steel
Axe_grinder pwns!!!!

Member #2 of the "Official UG Teabaggers' Cult". PM Slayer224 to join.
True story:

So this one time, I was hanging out with Michael Romeo of Symphony X and a guy comes up to him and askes him how he does all those crazy tapping licks. He says, "Practice. Then, when you're done, practice some more, and after that, keep practicing." Then we started talking about who could eat more hot dogs, me or my dog. But thats a whole other story in itself....
Thanks guys.

Of course I dont want to just be able to play really fast, but it helps when you want to play Jason Becker and Paul Gilbert stuff!
Focus on accuracy. The speed will come.

Practice x 100,000,000 = your friend
Cole Clark FL1AC Acoustic

Quote by 2007 Stupidity Awards

Instead of using Valves, could I use Light Bulbs instead? If so, would the new energy saving ones be OK? Coz I do a lot of playing

I got my pick stuck inside my guitar . . . . how am I supposed to get it out?