Strange Angel
22 IQ
**Mods, move this if needs be, I don't know how you'd classify SR.**

Can anyone who likes SR tell me if their individual work afterwards is worth listening too?

thanks
paintITblack39
triangle offense expert
3,120 IQ
I liked some of Ian Brown's work. So, check that out.
Sent from my iPad.
robmarsden01
UG's Funky Monk
134 IQ
Ian Brown's solo work is pretty good, i have Music of The Spheres and it has some really good tracks on it. Havent heard any of John Squire's stuff though.
My gear;

Custom HSS Strat (eBay'ed parts)
Fender Acoustic
DOD EQ
EH Big Muff
Home-made Wah
Home-made Booster
Laney LC15

Looking for a Jazz Bass body to refinish

My DeviantArt Page, MySpace Profile
Abe
Come Here and Say That...
1,563 IQ
Ian Brown for me is really hit and miss. The one to hear though is probably F.E.A.R.
tezhall
This one goes to eleven..
669 IQ
John Squire went on into the Seahorses, who I really liked tbh, but they're not exactly very Alt or very Indie....the tracks to listen to tell if you'd like them are probably Love Me And Leave Me, The Boy In The Picture and Love Is The Law, and the little known 1st single of the never-released 2nd album, You Can Talk To Me

It's not much like Stone Roses stuff to be honest, much more simple guitar driven stuff, but I likes it fine.

And yeah, was never much of a fan of Ian Brown, but F.E.A.R isn't too bad I guess.
tezhall
669 IQ
uhhhh my whole post was about him.... ?
StuartR
571 IQ
I find them horrendously over rated, John Squire's guitar work is nice though.
oasis247
46 IQ
..........back to the roses (lest we forget). We have this amazingly talented band which nobody on this site talks about. I love their music and their image.
#1 member of the Oasis fan club. PM me to join
Caustic
On holiday by mistake
370 IQ
Their self-titled album is a work of pure genius, tracks like Made of Stone and I Am The Resurrection are nothing short of epic.

Can anyone who likes SR tell me if their individual work afterwards is worth listening too?

Well, it's not solo work, but Mani's work with Primal Scream is awesome by any definition of the word.
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
bluemoon05
1,461 IQ
The roses are awesome, one of my favourite bands, but the second album just doesn't do it for me whereas the first is one of the best ever.
oasis247
46 IQ
How come the second one doesn't do it for you?
Caustic
On holiday by mistake
370 IQ
Quote by bluemoon05
The roses are awesome, one of my favourite bands, but the second album just doesn't do it for me whereas the first is one of the best ever.

I kind of agree. The second album was good, but sort of uninspired. Combine that with it coming after one of the most important British albums of the 80's, and it's going to look a little pale.

It's like the band looked back and just thought "shit, we can't follow that up..."
And yet, to me, what is this quintessence of dust? Man delights not me: no, nor woman neither... nor women neither.
tezhall
669 IQ
Not sure how accurate I'm being here, but I'm pretty sure that on S/T, Squire wrote the music whilst Brown wrote the lyrics...the collapse in the band dynamic that eventually led them to split, also led them to divide writing for The Second Coming, which led to Squire writing some songs, and Brown writing others, although to me Love Spreads still stands as one of my favourite songs of the 90's by a fair stretch.

In fact, just wikipedia'd them to check, here you go - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stone_Roses
Abe
Come Here and Say That...
1,563 IQ
^Pretty sure John wrote nearly every track on Second Coming.
bluemoon05
1,461 IQ
Quote by oasis247
How come the second one doesn't do it for you?

A little bit heavier which just isn't me, and the first one was virtually impossible to beat.

Love Spreads and Ten Story Love Song are quality though.
tezhall
669 IQ
^^ Aye, wrote most of them by the looks of things. Was almost right hehe.
oasis247
46 IQ
I think the reason why most people dislike it is because the Roses set the bar so high with their first album that Second Coming looked bad because it wasn't an improvement. People were expecting a HUGE improvement; another massive leap foward.
European Son
57 IQ
Bump.

This band is getting far too little notice on this site. Amazing band. I think John Squire's quite underrated (on UG at least). His guitar work is nothing short of amazing. I love the guitar on 'Shoot You Down'. Those "bluesy", soft guitar licks he does in the verse are very, very good. It adds a lot to that whole soft, relaxed kind of atmosphere. And Ian Brown... amazing frontman. Perhaps not the most technical singer around, but he makes up for it in charisma and creativity. Amazing band.