Hey everyone, 2 days ago i bought an electric guitar, and an amplifier with it. So i started learning the major and minor chords. First i learned the E minor chord and D major chord. When i play one of these chords, one of the string get muted, i nkow the problem for this is what, one of my fingers are touching other frets, and to fix this, i need to hold the neck properly, but i dont know how. My question is can someone in somehoe tell me how to exactly hold the neck.

Second, i am having troubles changing my fingers from one chord to another, i mean touching the frets, i'm unable to aim the frets from going E minor to D major.Iif this second part needs more explanation, i will explain.
Thanks
holt your hand to the neck how you feel comfortable!
and its normal when you start..you just have to get used to it!
1. Try to place your thumb at the center and perpendicular to the neck (correct way)
2. You have to keep practicing to get it right; try to practice it at a slower pace and use a metronome.
A metronome is a device that counts time, but that is more necessary if you are trying to learn a song. It isn't really what you need for your problem. Just keep practicing your chords.
To finger open chords properly you need to have your thumb behind the neck in the centre....unless you have enormous hands!
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by steven seagull
To finger open chords properly you need to have your thumb behind the neck in the centre....unless you have enormous hands!

I can finger any open chord with my thumb over the neck.

Do you have tiny hands or somesuch?
Member of the 7-String + ERG Legion.
Em and D chords are tough to switch back and forth when you just start out. It might be a better idea to switch between 2 chords that share a finger. That way, you have a "pivot point" or an "anchor point". A couple of pairs of chords that come to mind are Am and C (these actually share 2 fingers). Also D and G are pretty easy to switch because the ring finger stays put. Lessons by a good instructor are worth it, but if you don't have the cash, you should look into DVD's on guitar instruction. Good luck with your new guitar!!
Light is faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Quote by Scott3229
if i wanted to get brain washed and then throw all my money away, id go to church

"I see, you've been blinded by what you believe" Sully Erna
I can finger any open chord with my thumb over the neck.

Do you have tiny hands or somesuch?

Come to think of it I can finger them, thinking about it...but it's a bad idea when you're starting out. At the start you've got far more chance of playing them cleanly with the thumb behind. It's also a lot harder to maintain pressure without your thumb behind the neck, and if you've not been playing long and have still have weak fingers you need all the help you can get.

Also I can't finger an open G with my thumb on top unless I use my thumb, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that it's best to learn to do things properly before you develop those kind of bad habits
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com