Im a complete noob when it comes to wah pedals, because I have never used one before. But I am about to order one and Id like to know basically how to use one. Do you just push down on the pedal and hold while you play, or do you have to keep pushing down and releasing for every note?. im not at the stage where I can 'multitask' while playing. I have to concentrate on what im playing and if I have to start thinking about moving a pedal up and down for every note i'll just mess up what im playing

thanks for any help/advice
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
to get a normal wah effect from it...slowly rock the pedal back and forth. Thats it. Don't try to move your foot with every note you play or it'll sound like crap. You want the wah and the notes to blend.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
Quote by bonchie1
to get a normal wah effect from it...slowly rock the pedal back and forth. Thats it. Don't try to move your foot with every note you play or it'll sound like crap. You want the wah and the notes to blend.

well actually wahing ever note you play is a valid technique... is sound good if you do it right... but you dont do it all the time. When i feel a solo needs some wah i mix wahing every note and rhythmic wahing.

In answer to your question:
They only way your going learn to use a wah pedal is to practice with it... i recommend getting the "Jim Dunlop - The Wah Wah Book". It will really help.
Quote by L_Buckingham
well actually wahing ever note you play is a valid technique... is sound good if you do it right... but you dont do it all the time. When i feel a solo needs some wah i mix wahing every note and rhythmic wahing.

In answer to your question:
They only way your going learn to use a wah pedal is to practice with it... i recommend getting the "Jim Dunlop - The Wah Wah Book". It will really help.

Yeah. I've heard tons of people do it. But it can get grating and annoying if done to long. For instane...that guy from audioslave uses his wah and he'll wah every single note just about the entire solo. Gives me a freakin headache.

If you want that smooth SRV or Hendrix wah effect use rythmic wahing.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
I use it in rythme with the song (a good example is RHCP Stone Cold Bush). You can use it really slowly and it adds a cool sweep effect to chords. Another way to use it is to keep it in one place and play, forward gives a high filter effect (RHCP Around the World intro), back gives a lower bassier filter which sounds good on some solo's. Middle it makes a wierd squark sound which is good with some chord work.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
Last edited by Jimbo999 at Jan 5, 2007,
OK, i hate to burst your buble, but if ur a noob and strugle to multitask, i would stay away from getting a wah right now. Practice more, get a bit better, then start looking at different effects and so on. It wont be fun if your not getting anything out of your playing cos your struggling to wah and play at the same time, but if your intent on it, then all this advice is realy gud stuff.
D-U-F-R-A-I-S

Quote by darkstar2466
WRONG.

The only reason it exists is because drugs get people fucked up, and people love getting fucked up.

What you should do at first (Except for not buying an Dunlop Original Crybaby) is rock it back and forth a bit to get a feel for it, and then find out in which position makes what sort of sound, then manipulate that when you play (it'll take a while)
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
^^^ yes thats the best description so far, id also look into other music besides rock for wah technique alot of the better ones come from funk music, they tend to be bass heavy and use the guitar more as a filling/rythm insturment while the bass takes alot of leads, and some of the wah rythms are really unique and fun
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva
OK, i hate to burst your buble, but if ur a noob and strugle to multitask, i would stay away from getting a wah right now. Practice more, get a bit better, then start looking at different effects and so on. It wont be fun if your not getting anything out of your playing cos your struggling to wah and play at the same time, but if your intent on it, then all this advice is realy gud stuff.

im not a noob, ive just never used a wah pedal. but I agree that I should practice more first, so im going to wait a while before I get one
Geets:
Dean ML79 w/ OFR
Dean Razorback V
Washburn 2ST Stealth

Amps
Bugera 6260 212
Line 6 Toneport GX

Pedals/effects
Boss MT-2
ISP Decimator
Id try one out before you pospone buying one.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
*shrugs*

Vox wah ftw then?

There's a wah book? WTF! Try one out.

I try to rock the wah back and forth as fast as possible...no wonder it sounds like crap . Just a quick question, how do you make the wah a bit tighter...? An in while you're rocking it back and forth.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by notsojoeyb4eva

This is solid advice. I made the mistake of "having to have" a wah over the summer and it is really just one more thing to try and coordinate. Not to say I won't use it someday, but for now it is nothing more than a novelty.
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
If you tremolo pick, bend the string and push the pedal very slowly you can get a cool sound out of it. I'd do this to get a kind of Godsmack type of sound.
Gear:
Guitars: Jackson RX10D
Epiphone Les Paul 100
Cort Z47
Adam Black Libra Extreme

Amp: Line 6 Spider III
Bugera 6260-212 Combo
Well for my policy, I just use it whenever I feel it's appropriate and makes it sound better or more interesting.