Poll: Have u ever met a radical muslim?
Poll Options
View poll results: Have u ever met a radical muslim?
Yes, i met a radical dipshit (or he seemed to be one!)
57 16%
No, the muslim dude i met was a cool guy.
250 71%
I dunno, cant tell much bout the muslim dude i met, he could be anything.
47 13%
Voters: 354.
Page 1 of 5
This was inspired form the whole muslims movement thread. As UGers seem to know a lot about muslims, lets see how many of us UGers have actually met a muslim who seemed to have radical believes.
This poll can clear up a lot of things about how people seem to believe that many muslims are radicals.

So go ahead, do the poll!

EDIT:
As most of you know more than one muslim dudes,
If you've ever met a muslim dude who's radical, vote for yes.
If all the muslim dude's u've met are cool, vote no.
If you've met a muslim dude but u wern't sure what he could be like, vote for the 3rd option.

And yeah this is about the muslim dude's u've like personally met, like had a little chat with. Not someone u've passed by on the street or saw at some place.
Last edited by af_the_fragile at Jan 5, 2007,
Well, Im from Israel, so i've met ALOT of muslims in my life.
It all depends on which kind of muslims are they:
Druse (not sure how do you say it in english): Are very nice people, and they rock
Bedouin (again, not sure) - Kind of goes with the trend, if others are radical, they are too, if not, then they're nuetral.
Shi'ite Muslim - Around 80% of them are radical
Sunni's - Same as Shi'ites

..The problem is that their are much more Shi'ite and Sunnis muslims then Bedouins or Druse
ive met a lot of muslims in the US the only really radical ones i met where the racist African American types, and they seemed pretty bad, but not radical on the level ofthe saudi arabian gov't or people like Osama Bin Laden. ive met lots of other muslims that werent radical at all though, and here in the US the radical christians outweigh the radical muslims severely.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
I know a few... I live in america though. He is 13, but he lived in Afghanistan. I really lost all memory of spelling that country. Radical? I would say not. Knowing how to easily assasinate someone... YES. As soon as school started he was the only one to ask, why dosen't everyone else have a pocket knife? He did ask this though. My principal being racsist blamed his parents.
"Guitarmen, wake up and pluck wire for sound, let 'em hear you play"
-Charlie Christian
"You have to give people something to dream on"
-Jimi Hendrix
"I try to make any guitar do what I want it to do"
-Slash
Look... muslims are considered radicals, terrorists etc, just as Americans are considered stupid.

Meaning they're not all like that, but a chosen few have excelled in that and have made their entire nation/religious cathegory suffer from the stereotypical thinking of others.

Having said that, I saw muslims being questioned for far too long at the airport check-in (where if you're from an arab country, let me say, bring tents and sleeping bags, cause you'll be staying there for a looong time), and also I met muslims and surprisingly their belts, shoes and suitcases were free of weapons or explosives.

Stop labelling anyone who's muslim as a terrorist or fanatic. Muslims =/= arabs =/= terrorists.
Dear God, do you actually answer prayers?

Yes, but only in a way indistinguishable from random luck or the result of your own efforts.
Last edited by Mad Marius at Jan 5, 2007,
To go back to my comment earlier to make things a little bit more clear, yes the only Muslims I've PERSONALLY met, sat down and chit chatted with were Shi'ite Muslims, at the time they werent acting "radical" we were just sharing with eachother our beliefs to get a better understanding of one another. I will be heading to bahrain in the next few months and I really look forward to it, Meeting new people and learning about their culture
Islam isn't exactly the most peaceful religion in the world...... Sure, not all muslims are radicals, but most of them probably don't realise that their religion sucks. All the Muslims I know(and I live in a part of Chicago where there are a ton of muslims) keep to themselves it seems. I very rarely see them mix with any infidels.

Not saying that I'm for any particular religion or anything, because I'm not. I think they all are garbage.
I know lots of muslim people. In the past 8 years of associating with muslims I have met only ONE out of hundreds who had a twisted veiw of islam. Many of my muslim friends are normal people living normal lives. They just have a different religion and culture, and like every religion and culture a minority have a radical beliefs.
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!
Quote by Mad Marius
Look... muslims are considered radicals, terrorists etc, just as Americans are considered stupid.

Meaning they're not all like that, but a chosen few have excelled in that and have made their entire nation/religious cathegory suffer from the stereotypical thinking of others.

Having said that, I saw muslims being questioned for far too long at the airport check-in (where if you're from an arab country, let me say, bring tents and sleeping bags, cause you'll be staying there for a looong time), and also I met muslims and surprisingly their belts, shoes and suitcases were free of weapons or explosives.

Stop labelling anyone who's muslim as a terrorist or fanatic. Muslims =/= arabs =/= terrorists.

Intelligent post, possibly the only one in this thread.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Unfortunately in the world, Labeling is and always will be a factor, and with todays media and its "sell this story" outlook Labeling will always remain, The Muslim=Arab=Terrorist label is a good example, and take a look at the Katrina incident. When people were taking food from grocery stores it was reported by the news when Caucasian people were taking food they were "surviving" and when Black people took food they were "stealing" The Media doesnt sell good news, you dont hear stories about little bobby bring home 9 A +'s on his History Exams from John Doe Middle School, but you do hear about Tommy So and So who brought a gun to school one dayday. B/c things like this are shown on the News, people assume that instead of seeing a outstand Muslim man resueing a woman out of burning building, they see him blowing things up in the middle east and assume a terrorist, Trench coat kids at school arent safe to be around.... What are they Hiding????? and Black Folk cant be trusted they'll steal the coins off of a dead mans eyes.... So all in all I blame the media. and the only label i condone is JD Black Label MMMMMm MMMMMmm
Lol, I'm lucky to live in a place where being a muslim isn't some rare occurance. Half the people I've grown up with are muslim. Though seeing the media outside of this country's re-action to Islam in general, I can't say that I'm not suprised that a lot of people have this impression of muslims as being radical terrorist nuts, even if they say they don't a lot of people still have this underlying assumption regardless. I remember back in secondary school you could tell when it was Eid or something by the fact that the lunch room was mostly empty. Though most people fail to realise that someone who follows Islam is a human just as much as the person who follows Christianity or any other religion. In my eyes, that person is no different, which could possibly be because I was brought up in a multicultural city. To me some radicalist is an exception in the same way that a rapist is a exception to society. Just because one person acts a certain way because a certain upbringing is in no way an indication of how others will behave.
O.K.

“There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want.”
~ Bill Watterson

O__o
I practically grew up in the Middle East. The vast majority of the people I met were moderate, reasonable people.
According to BS statistics, 92% of teens have moved on to rap. If you're among the 8% who doesn't consider rap to be real music, donate your brains, as you clearly aren't using them.
Quote by af_the_fragile
The poll is like, if you've ever met a muslim dude who's radical, vote yes.

Sure. I know two Muslims who said some ****ed up things about several things such as 9/11 and Jews. One was a collegue and the other a friend i was hanging out with every day a few years ago.

But neither of these guys are very representative of the average Muslim. Their intelligence and common knowledge is WAY below average and their knowledge of Islam is based mostly on word of mouth by relatives. I also must add that they've always treated me with respect and digity and i really don't think they would ever commit a violent act based on their beliefs. They're just retards.

Again, the radicality of Islam is nothing compared to how the West reacts to it. If you were to compare the number of radical Muslims to the number of people who are affraid of Islam... that's like comparing the number of people who play the lottery to the number of people who actually win.
Not only have I met Muslims, i AM muslim. So ive met alot of muslims. Not one of them were radicals, but a couple of them were pretty religious.
Is this a joke? Im not muslim, but i have some muslim/previously muslim relatives and their like normal people, some are nice, some arent. If you actually think all/the majority of muslims are radicals, then i'd advise you not to breed.

Edit - Ah, just read your post a bit more, sorry if i came off as hostile
I was bad with usernames at age 12. Ah woe.
Last edited by IgnoreThis at Jan 5, 2007,
Ha 911 hijackers were called normal cool dudes buy there neighbors too!!
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
VOX AD100VT combo 2x12 + 2x12cab
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Quote by dcoyle4040
Ha 911 hijackers were called normal cool dudes buy there neighbors too!!

Wtf are you talking about? Are you saying the ****ers who blew up the towers and killed all those people deserve cool points?
I love neapolitan ice cream, but I HATE VANILA AND STRAWBERRY!

Tremulous Name:
Aaron-[UVache]
Im from Middle east,im an arab,and a muslim and i cant tell you if im radical or not since i cant realy judge myself ,but without generalizing or stereotyping i'll tell you this:-

Islam IS not radical,nor it is violent ,any intelligent muslim would know that .
BUT like you guys had before with christianity,many sheikhs (priests) are twisting the quran's words to percieve all what they want ,the encourage the unaware and uneducated youth and fill their minds with violent ideas toward non-muslims.
And you guys (America and Europe) are helping that,all that killing in iraq,taking sides with israel (The long-time Arab Enemy) and just generally messing the middle east up,you're just filling people with more hatred towards you.

I dont realy have time to explain it all,but i hope you understand what i said .

Peace \m/
Wolv
I hope if anyone should meet a "radical muslim" here in the US you would do something about it and report them to the authorities.

I myself use more traditional methods like beating the living shit out of them.
Quote by justinp93
Wtf are you talking about? Are you saying the ****ers who blew up the towers and killed all those people deserve cool points?

No Dude, use your head!!!! Im saying this poll is a joke because you cant tell a good Muslims from a radical.
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Guitarman4040
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Seagull Acoustic
Shure mics
Assortment of Pedals
Last edited by dcoyle4040 at Jan 5, 2007,
the muslims that i know, are cool people

can they be radical? im sure, alot of religions/cultures have radical extremeists

one reason they have bad rep is because they still have religious conflicts over in the middle east, and we think they are bad because, they are blamed for alot of Coalition deaths in Iraq ( that seems to be the attitude in my area anyway ). but If a bunch of dudes with guns showed up in your country, what would you do?

so in short,

NO and YES
Quote by prsfloyd
I hope if anyone should meet a "radical muslim" here in the US you would do something about it and report them to the authorities.

I myself use more traditional methods like beating the living shit out of them.

wow, you are a complete moron.

Quote by dcoyle4040
No Dude, use your head!!!! Im saying this poll is a joke because you cant tell a good Muslims from a radical.

sure you can, many radicals are very outspoken about it, the 9/11 terrorist are a special case, they where only keeping a low profile because they needed too for the sake of thier mission.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jan 5, 2007,
I'm muslim. so I have met a lot of muslims.
I tend to stay away from the radicals though.
I really hate them.
/boring
mama let that boy, play some rock n roll
Quote by vanceboy
ah, well, Pl3h-B0y is the real deal, so what he says goes.

Co-Founder of the Creedence Clearwater Revival Fanclub...PM me or Cptbeefheart to join!
Name That Riff!
I was posting in the thread last night that was called anti-Muslim movements. Alot of people kept going on saying "Dont judge Islam as a whole by the shit you see on the news" "There are peaceful Muslims" Etc. The FACT is, there may be peaceful Muslims, but the Majority are radicals. Its not just on the news from other places in the world you see this. Its happening on everyones doorstep. Here in my country Muslims are arrogant and aggressive and there is not one day that passes that I dont read about a Muslim in this country being sentenced to jail for something or other. A Muslim man was sentenced today for chanting slogans at a protest that incited racial hatred. Some Muslims were actually carrying placards praising the London bombings in 2005. These people have no respect for anyone but themselves... infact actually they dont even have respect for each other, in their home-land they would execute each other as quick as they would execute a foreigner. So anyone who wants to say this is bullshit, it is NOT. YES I agree not ALL Muslims are bad, the MAJORITY are.. and even those who arent bad, it wouldnt take much to make them radical with all the ideas preached to them in their mosques, at rallys, etc. You get my point, Islam is a crazy and dangerous religion.
Last edited by HaLo2anGuiTaR at Jan 5, 2007,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
wow, you are a complete moron.

sure you can, many radicals are very outspoken about it, the 9/11 terrorist are a special case, they where only keeping a low profile because they needed too for the sake of thier mission.

And by the way, this guy is wrong. So ALL radicals make it public that they are radicals and SOMETIMES they dont so it doesn't jeperdise their mission? Thats bullshit. Even Muslims concidered 'normal' can do evil things. Not all go around telling everyone they're radical. They will act normal, but have hatred in them, ideas, etc, that they will not share with anyone (unless its another radical Muslim)
Quote by HaLo2anGuiTaR
The FACT is, there may be peaceful Muslims, but the Majority are radicals.

Sources?

And have you ever spend the time to actually get to know an Islamic person? I doubt you have, so don't pretend that you know what you're talking about.

Edit:
Quote by HaLo2anGuiTaR
And by the way, this guy is wrong. So ALL radicals make it public that they are radicals and SOMETIMES they dont so it doesn't jeperdise their mission? Thats bullshit. Even Muslims concidered 'normal' can do evil things. Not all go around telling everyone they're radical. They will act normal, but have hatred in them, ideas, etc, that they will not share with anyone (unless its another radical Muslim)

They tend to tell people what they believe in if asked, just like you or me. Maybe the reasons you haven't heard any Muslims say that they're extremists are:
1) Not many Muslims are extremists.
2) You haven't actually had a civilized discussion with a Muslim person regarding religious beliefs.
Quote by cubedeathk

No my friends Dinosaurs walked this earth with Man.

Last edited by QuiteTheFellow at Jan 5, 2007,
Quote by justinp93

No you dumbass hes saying that just because you think they're 'cool' and 'normal' you dont know what goes on inside their heads. You dont know that they're not a radical. Just like with ANYONE (Non religous, religous, ANYONE) in the world, they can act one way, but are a totally different person inside. If someone murders someone, im sure there will always be someone that says the murderer 'seemed normal to them' People kept telling me last night that I have hatred for Muslims and have predijuces about them, and (I had said in a post I just get on with my life and try to live in peace) that how can I try and live in peace if I hate Muslims. Well to start off, I wouldn't have these predujices (If thats what they are) IF Muslims proved all the stuff wrong. But they simply don,t. Even when they live in other peoples countries they dont respect it. Our country sees the Veil as a mark of seperation, when talking to a person we think face to face (actually being able to see someones facial expressions as you talk to them) is the best thing to do as its quite rude. But for Muslims this is an outrage, we MUST be against them saying these comments, so yet again, MORE Muslim protesting over OUR countries values. Our country WE LET them live in to be safe. They also walk in large groups around the city not moving out anyones way, being ignorant and disrespectful to everyone around them, very aggressive attitudes. There is just no need for it. So basically, If I went into town and they DIDNT act like that, if they broke the chain of the huge line they walk in down the street for you to pass, I would think that was good of them. If when speaking to you they removed the Veil, and if they didnt have huge violent protests at every comment made about them.
Quote by QuiteTheFellow
Sources?

And have you ever spend the time to actually get to know an Islamic person? I doubt you have, so don't pretend that you know what you're talking about.

Dont you tell me what I know and dont know. I HAVE tried to get to know Islamic people. So how dare you sit and type to me that I have never even tried to get to know an Islamic person, that I have just watched the news one day and thought I hate them all. This has built up over a vast period of time, I dont just make these judgements from the news. When I see a car bomb has went off somewhere and its on the news, I dont watch it and think, 'I hate every single one of them people' I think how could people do that to their own people? I see people crying and moarning over deaths. I see people helping get bodies out the rubble, I see people helping each other, these people are good people. So what the **** is your problem Ive already said I know you get peaceful Muslims but, for me, in my view, there is a really massive population of radicals. Ok 'Majority' isnt the case because that would be more than half the worlds population of Muslims being branded radicals. But I know for sure if you went and got all the Muslim radicals, and got any radicals from Christians or any other religion, they Muslims would out-number the others.
Quote by Schredmark
Islam isn't exactly the most peaceful religion in the world...... Sure, not all muslims are radicals, but most of them probably don't realise that their religion sucks. All the Muslims I know(and I live in a part of Chicago where there are a ton of muslims) keep to themselves it seems. I very rarely see them mix with any infidels.

Not saying that I'm for any particular religion or anything, because I'm not. I think they all are garbage.

Maybe because they're always stereotypes and treated differently?

Just a thought
High Cardinal of Zeppelinism PM TheHeartbreaker to join and
"Co-Founder (and Yoda) of the Star Wars Universe. PM me or SethMegadefan to join.

' " The last enemy that shall be destroyed is death"...'-p.269-Deathly Hallows
Quote by HaLo2anGuiTaR
Well to start off, I wouldn't have these predujices (If thats what they are) IF Muslims proved all the stuff wrong. But they simply don,t. Even when they live in other peoples countries they dont respect it.

Maybe you don't give them a chance to prove you wrong? Apparently, the only way you'll think that Muslims aren't evil is if one of them handed you a million dollars for no reason. Which isn't going to happen. Stop being so closed-minded and actually try to be respectful of them when you're around them. Who knows, maybe you'll actually start a polite, intelligent debate about religious values.

And where the hell do you live? All of the Muslims that I've met have been extremely respectful of other peoples' cultures, and the country that they live in. You saying that all the Muslims you've met have been disrespectful of the country that they live in leads me to believe that you haven't actually met one or had a discussion with one. You can't judge the whole religion by how some of the Muslims in your town act when they're out with their friends, or by how a small amount of them have a distorted view of the Kuran.
Quote by cubedeathk

Quote by QuiteTheFellow
Sources?

Edit:

They tend to tell people what they believe in if asked, just like you or me. Maybe the reasons you haven't heard any Muslims say that they're extremists are:
1) Not many Muslims are extremists.
2) You haven't actually had a civilized discussion with a Muslim person regarding religious beliefs.

Once again you're making assumptions about me. AGAIN I wil lsay I HAVE sat and had discussions with Muslims, in school years ago, outside school, in college, they all tend to get quite upset and aggressive if you put across YOUR opinions about life. I see you're also the person last night that accussed me of making the comparison of drawing Mohammad and drawing the Pope. When ACTUALLY if you had paid attention, someone told me in a post that I personally would go out and protest if he drew the Pope with a cross up his ass and it got published worldwide. I however told him I couldnt care less if he drew a picture of the Pope with a cross up his ass and would NOT protest and would get on with my life like every other day. YOU however, being the ignorant twat that you are, DIDNT read the message I was replying to, and assumed that I made the comparison and told me to NOT compare the two together. So pay more attention dumbass huh?
Quote by HaLo2anGuiTaR
Once again you're making assumptions about me. AGAIN I wil lsay I HAVE sat and had discussions with Muslims, in school years ago, outside school, in college, they all tend to get quite upset and aggressive if you put across YOUR opinions about life.

So do you, apparently.

Quote by HaLo2anGuiTaR
I see you're also the person last night that accussed me of making the comparison of drawing Mohammad and drawing the Pope. When ACTUALLY if you had paid attention, someone told me in a post that I personally would go out and protest if he drew the Pope with a cross up his ass and it got published worldwide. I however told him I couldnt care less if he drew a picture of the Pope with a cross up his ass and would NOT protest and would get on with my life like every other day.

Congratulations, that was the point I was trying to make. You wouldn't go out and protest because it's considered much more disrespectful to draw religious figures in Islam than in Christianity.
Quote by cubedeathk

Quote by QuiteTheFellow
Maybe you don't give them a chance to prove you wrong? Apparently, the only way you'll think that Muslims aren't evil is if one of them handed you a million dollars for no reason. Which isn't going to happen. Stop being so closed-minded and actually try to be respectful of them when you're around them. Who knows, maybe you'll actually start a polite, intelligent debate about religious values.

And where the hell do you live? All of the Muslims that I've met have been extremely respectful of other peoples' cultures, and the country that they live in. You saying that all the Muslims you've met have been disrespectful of the country that they live in leads me to believe that you haven't actually met one or had a discussion with one. You can't judge the whole religion by how some of the Muslims in your town act when they're out with their friends, or by how a small amount of them have a distorted view of the Kuran.

Sorry man but YOU REALLY are a TOTAL ARSEHOLE. Have you ACTUALLY read all the posts? Have you taken in what I said. Did you see the parts of the way the Muslim community act in my City? Obviously NOT. I have said NUMEROUS times that they act with total disrespect, but YOU are telling me >>I<< have to try and respect them? Sorry am I being disrespectful to them when I HAVE to walk round a huge line of 15 or more of them? When they're walking down the street with an aggressive attitude. Am I being disrespectful to them when I politely ask them to move out the way because there is 12 of them standing in a circle in the MIDDLE of the shop having a big discussion? When the stuff >>I<< wanted to buy was blocked off by them? I was IGNORED. They have NO RESPECT. SO DONT TELL ME I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THEM I HAVE RESPECT FOR EVERYONE WHO SHOWS RESPECT FOR ME. And YOU are one of those people who have no respect for me. You make no effort to understand what Im saying and accuse me of things when you are WRONG. I said my predujices would change if THAT kind of stuff (THE STUFF IVE JUST DESCRIBED INCASE YOUR BRAIN HAS FORGOTTEN ALREADY) stopped happening when they were walking around my City. NOT if they gave me £1,000,000 for nothing you arrogant asshole.
Quote by QuiteTheFellow
So do you, apparently.

Congratulations, that was the point I was trying to make. You wouldn't go out and protest because it's considered much more disrespectful to draw religious figures in Islam than in Christianity.

Apparently I get annoyed at people who dont listen to me. Like you have done once again. Congratulations to you, you are really the dumbest person I have encountered. When I said that I was meaning IF it was offensive to draw that of the Pope, I would not go out in protest because it doesnt affect my life. Incase you still dont understand, Its hypothetical. IF drawing the Pope was as disrespectful as drawing Mohammad, I would NOT protest.
Quote by HaLo2anGuiTaR
Sorry man but YOU REALLY are a TOTAL ARSEHOLE. Have you ACTUALLY read all the posts? Have you taken in what I said. Did you see the parts of the way the Muslim community act in my City? Obviously NOT. I have said NUMEROUS times that they act with total disrespect, but YOU are telling me >>I<< have to try and respect them? Sorry am I being disrespectful to them when I HAVE to walk round a huge line of 15 or more of them? When they're walking down the street with an aggressive attitude. Am I being disrespectful to them when I politely ask them to move out the way because there is 12 of them standing in a circle in the MIDDLE of the shop having a big discussion? When the stuff >>I<< wanted to buy was blocked off by them? I was IGNORED. They have NO RESPECT. SO DONT TELL ME I HAVE NO RESPECT FOR THEM I HAVE RESPECT FOR EVERYONE WHO SHOWS RESPECT FOR ME. And YOU are one of those people who have no respect for me. You make no effort to understand what Im saying and accuse me of things when you are WRONG. I said my predujices would change if THAT kind of stuff (THE STUFF IVE JUST DESCRIBED INCASE YOUR BRAIN HAS FORGOTTEN ALREADY) stopped happening when they were walking around my City.

You're right, I guess the entire Muslim community is disrespectful of the country that you live in, because some Muslims out with their friends aren't very respectful of you. Oh, wait.

I bet you're not very respectful to them when you're out with your friends, either.

For the record, I'm not defending the Muslims in your city. For all I know, they could be complete assholes. But what I'm trying to say is that you can't judge a whole religion by what the Muslims in your town do.

Oh, and just because they're disrespectful and they're Muslim doesn't mean that they're disrespectful because they're Muslim.
Quote by cubedeathk

Page 1 of 5