How much do proffesional musicians actually make? After reading "White Line Fever" I realised that they must make a lot less hten I thought, as it seemed Lemmy isnt anywhere as rich as I thought he was.

So how much do you think a band like:

1: Iron Maiden, Metallica (very big, well known outside its genre)
2: Judas Priest, Megadeth (big, partly knows outside its genre)
3: Anthrax (pretty much only known in its genre, yet still a headlining band)
4: Exodus (headlining band, pretty unknown)
5: any small support act

earn?

(sorry these are all metal bands, as most more general rock/hard rock bands are generally more well known)
Quote by Rockstar12345
One does not simply walk onto a Chav's lawn
a lot, i couldnt put an exact price but they have sponsors and record labels that pay for touring basically and then some, this is at Iron Maiden's level and even then everyone buys your CD's cause your so damn good lol
UNLEASH THE FOCKING BURGERS
The top 2 could retire easyly on there profits. Number 3 will take a wee bit of saving then retire on profits and number 4 will have to work all the time.

1 iron maidens a registerd company and are worth billions upon billions
metallica millions but they arent a companny

2 proberly a couple of million maybe not even that

3 not that much reli couple of hundred thousand

4 not much if they rnt well known

5 they have to pay the headliners to go on before them so they dont really make much at all
You're going to be living in a crappy 1 room apartment while holding down several part-time jobs and gigging with your band at the same time. Don't expect to make enough money to live a middle-class life.
Quote by Archaon
You're going to be living in a crappy 1 room apartment while holding down several part-time jobs and gigging with your band at the same time. Don't expect to make enough money to live a middle-class life.

whos that directed at
YA but to get at that point of headlining a show it takes alot.

look and Motley Crue, and GN'R... they were practically homeless until they got a HUGE break.

Ie. Shout at the Devil or Dr. Feelgood,

Ie. Def, Appetite For Destruction...

Dont forget high record sales, sold out shows, sponsers, record label etc.

Dont get me wrong. My friends dad is like a cover band but has shit load of original material, and he still plays the clubs, and do openings for bands like less known bands like cheap trick. And he's quite wealthy. Not super rich. But hes easily making $100,000+++
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Paul McCartney is worth £500 million (about a billion dollars). But then, he was in the Beatles. Keef and Mick are worth about £125 million each. So if you've had a 40 year career, you may end up minted.
Member of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

Last.fm
Haha. He should sell himself on Ebay... and then buy freedom. He probably could pull it off too.
Guitars:
Epiphone Elitist Les Paul Custom WCR and Dimarzio equipped
Amp:
Marshall 2266 Vintage Modern
Marshall 1960TV
Effects:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Quote by CrEePiNgDeAtH66
whos that directed at

At the people who want to try and make it as musicians. No one in particular.
Quote by CrEePiNgDeAtH66

1 iron maidens a registerd company and are worth billions upon billions
metallica millions but they arent a companny

Billions? Lets be honest...
Quote by Mechanixx
How much do proffesional musicians actually make? After reading "White Line Fever" I realised that they must make a lot less hten I thought, as it seemed Lemmy isnt anywhere as rich as I thought he was.

So how much do you think a band like:

earn?

(sorry these are all metal bands, as most more general rock/hard rock bands are generally more well known)

all these bands would have made a fair amount pre limewire etc, except exodus. They all deserve to because they make good albums. Bands now make little-but their albums are also shit?!? Bands like Tool say you have to sell 1/2 a million records to break even.
Depends what your goals are, actually. I know bands who play shows in crappiest of places/venues sometimes, losing tons of money to haul their equipment there etc, just to bring their music out.

But in general, in my experience you can make at the very least enough to keep your band and more shows going, as well as pay your bills and buy you new gear as long as you are willing to put some effort into it and don't completely suck.

It really depends on how active you are - if you take care of your CD printing and some merchandise, manage to maintain a solid fan base etc, you can easily be making 15-20$ grands USD a month only playing 'underground' shows - ie clubs and small venues.
Jackson DKMG & KE3, Fender Mexican Strat, Stagg Acoustic

Boss Compressor & Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby, Behringer Delay, ISP Decimator, Ibanez Tubescreamer

Laney TT50H, Marshall 1960A, Roland Cube 15

Looking to jam in Belfast, PM me!
Last edited by ar73m at Jan 5, 2007,
Each member of Metallica is incredibly rich, Iron Maiden and Guns N' Roses are probably doing just as well, album/mp3 sales don't always translate to wealth though. Most bands get about $1-2 per album sold at best, but for things like T-Shirts and other merchandise I think they do a bit better, and the most money is made from live shows.