I was wondering what the UG community thought of the new Fenders, i think fender has lowerd theyre standards, when i play new fender guitars at the music store, they sound and feel like a lower end guitar. I say if u want a fender anymore you have to get a G&L, the new generation of well made guitars, they are made by the same standerds that vintage Strats are made. check the G&L guitars out at this sight: http://www.glguitars.com/frameset.htm
TotalyHAB
thanks for being utterly useless. fenders rock, but its mostly taste. they sound great, feel great and are traditional.

their standards have lowered, but still are my favourite guitars.
actually, my local music shop stock those G&Ls, and they're the worst guitars I've ever tried. Can't hold tuning for more than 5 minutes (no joke, me and my teacher timed it) and the woods are god awful.

Fender on the other hand, still make some of the best guitars in the market.
Dickless.
WTF?

The standards have improved, IMO. Now they're made of alder, have better necks and hotter pickups. And fatter trem blocks for more sustain. They're great value for money.

I love the way G&L copy fender designs, worship Leo Fender and their HQ is on Fender Avenue, but in their print ads they say that they are in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY associated with FMIC.
How queer.
i was gonna say, G&L was an old design worker of Fender wasn't he?

(Leo Fender I mean)
Quote by demoniacfashion
Is there any black people on UG?
I don't think a lot of black people play guitar anymore.

Quote by Oasis-fanatic
they all kinda went extinct after hendrix really.

Needless to say, I lol'ed.

Quote by human panda
Appart from being on UG or wanking, thats what i mostly do
"Some G&L instrument models are sold under license from Fender Musical Instruments Corporation
with respect to design trademarks in the Stratocaster® and Telecaster® body shapes.

The G&L headstock design is a registered trademark of G&L Musical Instruments."

That is straight off the G&L homepage. Enough said.
Fender have improved all their lower end stuff.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
i wouldn't say they've gone downhill. they're recently improved the standard strat series with better pups, trem/trem block, and better frets. the new highway ones have gotten a better finish, new pickups etc. if anything fender is improving the lower cost instruments and actually listening to their customers which is far from going downhill
My Rig
>MIM Fender Stratocaster and SX SJM-62
>various magicial noise boxes
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
I've been very impressed by the new Fenders lately, actually.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Quote by AlGeeEater
I've been very impressed by the new Fenders lately, actually.

Chris

Ditto, the new standards and highway 1's are fantastic and the American's are still putting out great products. The custom shop is top notch
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

nope qualitys gone up!
gear.

Schecter Loomis sig.
Engl fireball.
the highest.

CANNABIZZLE

Lets blaze, put this in your sig if you want to get high.
Quote by Cmogi10
Ditto, the new standards and highway 1's are fantastic and the American's are still putting out great products. The custom shop is top notch

Yep, and there still the best value for the cash.

Chris
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Its safe to say their improving
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by sashki
WTF?

The standards have improved, IMO. Now they're made of alder, have better necks and hotter pickups. And fatter trem blocks for more sustain. They're great value for money.

I love the way G&L copy fender designs, worship Leo Fender and their HQ is on Fender Avenue, but in their print ads they say that they are in ABSOLUTELY NO WAY associated with FMIC.
How queer.

Leo Fender started G&L after he left Musicman, which is after he sold Fender.
Yeah, no complaints -- you get a nice guitar for a good price.

However, the custom shop models ... ouch! Gouge. Pay lots of extra money for
a "master" to bolt the neck on. Pay more to have them ruin the finish of it. I've
got one amd I like it, but I'd mostly advise anyone to steer clear of the Fender
Custom shop.
^it depends on what you want but yeah i dont see why anyone would pay tfor someone to beat the crap out of a guitar to make it look like someones sig.
My Rig
>Peavey Classic 50 212

For the funk:
>Ibanez ATK300
>Acoustic B100
Quote by AlGeeEater

Chris

Yup, it's also nice to get dealer cost on everything
Epiphone Les Paul Studio
Boss Metalzone
Peavey Bandit

Well, I look at it like this: by design the Strat and Tele's were created as no-frill,
great playing guitars with a bolt-on neck that were vear easy to produce for
consistent quality. Given that they are pretty much "kit" guitars, what's left for
a Custom Shop to do? Change around the materials and finish, replicate older
models, "relic" the finish. I'm not sure that justifies jacking the cost up several
thousand in some cases. Especially with the sheer quantity of "custom" stuff they
turn out.
I think you can get a lot from Fender for the $$. My guitar teacher has a few cutom shop, custom ordered strats and when I came in with the 60th Anniv. Std strat one day he was like "Uh, ok cool" But after a few lessons he was like "Holy crap that thing sounds great compared to mine and I custom ordered this one".

Now keep in mind that was not a blanket statement meant to say that custom shop is a waste or Standards series is king, but he is a gear snot and praise from him is noteworthy.

Anyhow, I have completely left the topic and will end my rambling.

PS - I like Fender
Fender 60th Anniv MIM Strat (SD Little 59er Br)
Agile AL-2000 Rootbeer Flame (GFS Vtg '59)
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
GFS Chorus
DS-1
Didn't leo leave fender, create Musicman/Ernieball with a coworker who left or aswell then go on to make G&L?
Founder of UG's David Bowie Fan Club. Pm to join.

Founder of UG's "Rockers against being freakishly skinny" Club. PM to join.
Quote by AlGeeEater

Chris

agreed.

And for those of you who are saying shit like "yeah but its not a fenderzzz", Leo Fender created G&L (he's the L). I also agree with Algee's other statement that their quality has gone up.
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association
Quit with the G&L bashing, I've played about a half dozen of them and they're just as good as Fenders, just different. IMO G&L's guitars that aren't complete Fender clones (the one's with Z-coils and such) are excellent, though the Tele and Strat don't quite keep pace with Fenders (hard to beat the original).

Still I have to say if you're not a total metal-shred-head and you're looking for a guitar in the "mid-cost" zone ($300-$1000) Fender is king. No two ways about it.
Fenders are great. Mine is the best guitar Ive ever played and great quality. Theyre also really tough, mine gets bashed about and is a good as new.
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
I played an american strat and a G&L strat of some sort around the same price range back to back and the fender was a lot better IMO.
A dwarf might hear you. What then?

My Music
Like most things, I'd like 'em better if we got USA prices on 'em...

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
well i love my tele

i played a g&l telecaster before .... apart from being carrot orange and frankly offensive to the eye it played like cheap crap aswell
My Musical attempts

My youtube music channel

Quote by TOMMYB22
Dammit, beaten to it, and by someone with the same name

CURSE YOU TOMMYT!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote by daeqwon10000
I hate tommyt and the high horse which he rides upon
K, dont freak out i didnt say Fender Guitars are absolute shit, they still make alright guitars especially the Standerd Tele. I just think they have gone downhill from the old models they have made, theyre vintage stuff is alot better in my opinion, also Leo Fender did not like where Fender was going so he quit and started G&L a while back, so dont knock G&L for the dumb asses who knocked G&L for copying fender ur wrong.
TotalyHAB
Well what actually happened is Leo sold Fender to CBS in the 70s i believe. Then he started Musicman(who weren't partners with Ernie Ball at the time). He left Musicman in the early 80s and stated G&L (George something and Leo Fender). He worked at G&l until his death in 1991.

As far as G&Ls being cheap crap I highly doubt you've even played a real G&L. What you played was most likely a Tribute series which are cheap crap made in Korea, similar to Squier. Real G&Ls are handmade in California.
1992 Ibanez S540 sol
1988? Kramer Pacer Mutt
Last edited by sk8boardbob2 at Jan 5, 2007,
Quote by sk8boardbob2
Well what actually happened is Leo sold Fender to CBS in the 70s i believe. Then he started Musicman(who weren't partners with Ernie Ball at the time). He left Musicman in the early 80s and stated G&L (George something and Leo Fender). He worked at G&l until his death in 1991.

As far as G&Ls being cheap crap I highly doubt you've even played a real G&L. What you played was most likely a Tribute series which are cheap crap made in Korea, similar to Squier. Real G&Ls are handmade in California.

try 1965 with effects that didn't start taking place until '66 (though these were very small differences)
Going to Columbia University this fall! Woohoo!
Member of UGPSA: Ultimate-Guitar's Potsmokers Association