Hello UG!

I'm gonna build myself a cabinet using an old 12 inch electric organ speaker. I don't know which brand it is or what model, but it sounded better than my Marshall MG15DFX speaker, so I'm gonna make a cabinet for it.
I'm using the same dimensions as the Fender Jazzmaster Cabinet (clicky) but I don't wanna spend to much money, so I'm opting for MDF instead of plywood.
Tomorrow I'm gonna buy the wood and let the shop cut it to size for me. So I should have some pictures by tomorrow.
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Eddy (Plywood Stratocaster Copy)
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Marshall MG15 DFX with custom speaker
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Boss DS-1 (Keeley modded)
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
Looking forward to see it. I think I saw the speakers on another thread

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
I've decided to not use tolex as the "wrapping", because it's way to expensive. I'm now looking for cheaper alternatives. Does the "wrapping" add anything to the sound of the cabinet, or is it just for cosmetic purposes?
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
just cosmetic purposes, although if you dont put it tight against the wood it could cause unwanted vibrations

Quote by robbo_0013
UniverseZero is some kind of pwnerer of numerals

Quote by spazzymagee417
your avatar entertains me.
Pictures!

I'm using MDF and old chair legs to build the cabinet:

Completed box, without speaker:

I did cut the hole and attached the speaker, but no pics yet. Next weekend I'm gonna attach the grill cloth and do the wiring, so next weekend it should be finished!
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
looking good best of luck. specially love the third pic...

-toe pervert-

but yeah. make it look traditional..spare from neon spray paint...and maybe cover it in leather textured rubber?
use outdoor carpeting, the really tight stuff. I protects the wood to a certain degree, seals up any gaps in the joints, makes the wood less prone to termites, etc. But then again, you've got MDF. I'd say in MDF's case, it makes it less prone to chipping, scratching etc.
^ Yes it does matter what wood you use. But for a first time experience build it doesn't matter too much

TINY TERROR FOR SALE!

Orange Rocker 30 head and a Tiny Terror
MDF is the cheap option, all the pro's use the expensive birch plywood.
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
MDF is fine, it may be less durable, but it is easier to machine (be careful of dust) and generally has less voids than plywood. Virtually none. But it is acoustically dead and therefore relies more on the tone of your speaker, it tends not to color your tone. If you aren't a touring musician, ten mdf should be just fine for gigging every so often.
well im trying to build an amp with perfect tone what wood is the best to use and what are some cheaper options?
Definitely birch or marine grade plywood. Quality of the construction is more important. No gaps, good gluing technique so there are no air leaks, and leaning the cab back to project the sound upwards.
Quote by The_0thersid3
open or closed back cab for blues?

Sut some material in the dimensions to give a close back panel. then try both and see what you like. It's usually a matter of preference, open backs usually see louder, because they can project sound all around them when your indoors, but closed tends to have more bass response, and projects it out one direction.
I found some a picture on my phone of the cabinet with the speaker attached, so here you go!

Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
Quote by UniverseZero
just cosmetic purposes, although if you dont put it tight against the wood it could cause unwanted vibrations

Actually I've read it dampens the sound. Like, a cab would sound better without it.
to styzie...Looking sweet. Let's here some clips!

More on open backs: Because of their open back, they're more susceptible to room changes. In different rooms your tone may sound better or worse, depending on the acoustics. Closed back is a little more consistent.
It's done!

Yesterday I got myself a few inches of speakercloth, and today I put it all together. And so I only need to decide on whether to have an open or closed back, and it'll be done.

Here's some pics for you all:

Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
Some nice neat work there - well done indeed. Can't wait to get my speaker cab started...
Double Neck Project - Winner of 2006 GB&C "Best guitar build from scratch", "(Best) Most expensive build" and "Best Idea" awards - FINISHED!

Member #2 of the UG Luthier's club. PM AlGeeEater to join.
so you're not tolexing or painting this? looks pretty good, and wood has an affect on tone in the cab, but not much, most manufacturers use cheap plywood, i know orange use birch ply, a solid wood cab may improve tone, but other factors will be more cosequencial

"You're a MESS!"
Nice work there dude. That's really good. Are you going to paint it? Because it'd look cool if you painted it to match the head.
Meh, there's not gonna be a head, I'm gonna use my Marshall MG 15W combo as the head =)
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
or he could use a cardboard box as a replacement for the MG
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
Finally an update!

The cabinet is up and running, using the Marshall MG as the head. It sounds so much better than the stock Marshall speaker! I'd really like to post some soundbites, but I don't have proper recording equipment (I've only got a laptop with a built-in mic, a Logitech headset and my phone...). But I'll give you some pictures:

All of my gear!

The Marshall MG and the cabinet next to Eddy (my plywood strat-copy)

Close-up of my very own el-cheapo Marshall Stack =D
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
looking good!

i wouldnt paint it if i was you, it looks kinda tweed

it wuld look awsome if u had a lite ash fender :P
No I'm not gonna paint it, I'm just gonna leave it as it is. Does anyone have a suggestion as to how record a soundbite?
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
There's two wires coming out of the Marshall, which connect the amplifier to the speaker. If you open up the back of the Marshall (just take out the black wooden plate) you can disconnect these wires and connect them to the wires of the cab. When I get home I might just make a lil' pic.
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
You know what you need? An Epiphone VJ. I can't think of anybody else who it would better suit!
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
Yeah I've been looking for that one but it appears they don't sell it in Holland =(
Guitars:
- Ibanez GRX40
- Ibanez RG1570 MRR
- Dean V Metalman
Amps:
- Vox AD30VT
Gear:
- Vox V848 Wah
- Digitech RP80
I can't really read.....Dutch (?), but I did a bit of searching for you. I found retailers in the Netherlands, this and this were about the best I could do.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."