whenever i read about making your own solos it always says "just improvise playing the notes of the scale"

this is a blues scale.. if i wanted to improvise this wtf do i do?
You jus mess around with the scale.
Those notes in the picture are the notes you're playing, and you just play any of them in any order and speed you want to, thats improvising.
etc,
1.------------------5-7-8
2.-------------5-7--------
3.-----5-6-7------------
4.5-8-------------------
you play the positions or sth
Quote by roast
Cool, thanks Lagrance.

Randall Rx15
Ibanez Rg321Mh
Musima 25K Deluxe
Zoom 505 II
Quote by ollie_12318
whenever i read about making your own solos it always says "just improvise playing the notes of the scale"

Why's everyones using numbers to identify strings?
ummmmmmmm.......yea he's got numbers for the strings too...........hey ollie how come you dont have the metallica youtube link on here
Basically, just play random notes from that scale, and it'll probably sound alright.
Last.FM

Quote by Applehead
There are some things in life that are universally "good":

Sex, pizza, the smell of fresh washing and slap bass.
smurf pants don't be a tard. if you're not going to give advice like other cool people on here then **** off
Quote by ollie_12318

Once you know the key and the time signature, use the notes to build a bass line. While some combos will sound better than others, if you stay within the scale / mode it should always sound "in key" for lack of a better term.

For a straightforward and simple lesson on how this is done, listen to "Spoonful" by Cream. Jack Bruce does some basic variations on this scale throughout the song.
ollie, your sucha hothead, what gives man????....cant you take a little heat??????..........are you that obsessed with metallica????.....hahahahahahahahah
Just try to use those notes (and don't be afraid to move to other positions but in the same key and scale) to create a melody that sounds good to you and expresses what you feel. Solos are about you, not anybody else.
Start on different frets...like, instead of fret 7 on the A string, how bout fret 14 on the E string, or 17 on the A string, just play around with it.
Quote by ollie_12318
also when you say move it around the neck.. how do i do this?

The root note, in this case, the red 1 or 3, defines the name of the scale (A, E, D, Bb).

So if you're playing in the key of E minor (G major) you would put the red 1 on any E and play the pattern.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Also, most solos (well, all melodies for that matter) have a melodic curve. You want to make it obvious that your solo is going somewhere pitchwise. For example, the Metropolis Pt. 1 Solo by John Myung (on the album Images and Words by Dream Theater) the solo goes up and down through octaves, but the root is moving upwards constantly. Although the solo is all over the place, the melodic curve moves upward.

Also, most solos sound better with rythyms (spelling?) varied. Don't constantly play eighth notes, add some quarters on the stronger beats and 16ths on the weaker ones.

Lastly, solos are much more interesting when they have dissonance which resolves. For example, near the end of the solo, play a fret below the octave and hold it (which gives tension) and then resolve it up to the octave.

/rambling
"If faith is the answer we've already reached it
and if spirits a sign, then it's only a matter of time"