Okay, i got a washburn D100 for christmas and the action is too low, the strings rattle to much. (i showed it to my guitar teacher, and thats what he said was the problem, and thats what i thought too)

he said there are two ways to adjust the action. One would be to mess with the truss rod? I don't know how to do that, and i would be scared.

The other would be to mess with the piece of the neck where the strings stick in. either replace it or put a small bit of superglue in it.

what would be best? and if i do mess with the truss rod, is there a site or something that would tell me how to do it.
I was here for a while.

Then I was gone.

Now I'm back cause Obama.
Quote by tarem
Okay, i got a washburn D100 for christmas and the action is too low, the strings rattle to much. (i showed it to my guitar teacher, and thats what he said was the problem, and thats what i thought too)

he said there are two ways to adjust the action. One would be to mess with the truss rod? I don't know how to do that, and i would be scared.

The other would be to mess with the piece of the neck where the strings stick in. either replace it or put a small bit of superglue in it.

what would be best? and if i do mess with the truss rod, is there a site or something that would tell me how to do it.

I wouldn't touch it if I was as clueless as you clearly are...no offence.

The truss rod, is NEVER used to adjust action. It is used to straighten or bend the neck.

Doing this may help your problem, but will require suitable measurements etc to be taken, to ascertain if it is needed.

If the neck is too bent or too straight, and you rectify the problem, the action will still be the same, but the problem may go away. Action is the height of the strings above the fret board, as determined by the nut and saddle height. So, if a guitar plays well and you tighten the truss rod till it buzzes (back bow), you haven't changed the action, you have simply bent the neck.

Action is adjusted at the Nut and the Saddle. Try googling Acoustic Action or similar and read.

Then take the guitar to a pro, for a setup.
Quote by Cal UK

...that's what Skeet always says anyway and he's a sex god.

Member of the official GB&C "Who to Listen to" list

I support Shay van Fani
I can supply WD Music, ABM and AllParts products to UK builders at DISCOUNTED prices!
Last edited by Skeet UK at Jul 19, 2009,
Quote by ohspyro89
Loosen the strings so you can get the saddle out. Grab a pack of old playing cards to make some shims. Just cut very thin pieces of card stock to put below the saddle until the strings are to the right action.

Works great e'ry time.

What if you spilt water on your bridge, and the cards swelled?
Then your action would be real high!
..I was watching my death.
To see if the truss rod's going to fix it, press down on the first and twelfth fret, and look under the string at the sixth fret. If the string is tight to the fret, it needs some relief to get the string to clear the fret just a bit. Turn the truss rod counterclockwise to add relief at 1/8 turn or less at a time. Loosening the truss rod adds relief.
Next check the space between the bottom of the string and the top of the fret at the twelfth fret. I'm not sure what's right on a flat top acoustic, but my archtops string height clearance there measures a bit less than 1/16". If it's too low, the bridge saddle needs to be raised.
You might also check your string guage, light strings will require a different setup than heavier ones.