Hey guys, I have a problem with the input jack on my guitar. When I plug in my cable it makes a loud buzzing like it isn't in the whole way even when I know that the cable is in as far as it will go. Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be wrong? Maybe some diagrams would help, too.

If it matters, it recently had a pickup swap done with EMG 81/60 pickups.
Maybe a cable in is loose inside your guitar since to recently swaped pickups
My Gear :
Fender American Strat in Metallic Red
EHX Big Muff
Boss ME-50
Boss SD-1
Fender 15 Watt Amp (Upgrade soon to a Marshall )
Red Furry guitar strap

John Frusciante - The Greatest Guitarist EVER
It could be a number of things.. i'm afraid you're going to need to do some dismantling and fiddling... It could be a simple loose connection on one of the wires on the jack itself... resolder both to be sure...

It could be a bigger ground problem in the guitar's wiring, or even just a dodgy lead... try a new lead, if the problem persists, try and resolder the conections on the jack, if it's still buzzing like gary glitter in a creché, look over the wiring on the volume pot, or wherever your common ground is on your guitar...

Hope this helps...

Hey dude, thanks for the reply! I didn't do the swap myself, actually. I bought it with the new pups. I am kind of a noob when it comes to electronics with guitars. Like I don't know what leads are.

Anyways, thanks again.
by lead i meant you're guitar cable, the one u plug from gutiar to amp... Try changing that... If it doesnt work... get a mate to look at it, (a mate who knows what he's talking about lol)...

If that fails, take your problem to a guitar centre, they're usually willing to help...

Thanks, I replaced my cable last week just to see if it would fix it. Unfortunately, it didn't. I guess I'll have to roll up my sleeves and get my hands dirty for this one.

Cheers.
Open up your "output" jack and see that the wires are connected/soldered properly like so (see left). Resolder if necessary, make sure the wires arent twisted, then mask one prong with a masking tape to prevent overconnection.

- Insert your cable to see whether the connection are proper
- See that the hot meets the tip/shield properly
- Make any adjustments like bending it forwards or somethin (careful not to break it)
- Turn on the amp to see if you're doing it correctly, when you're happy, screw the jack back in.
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic

just to add, that's the only way u should ever tighten a jack.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
go away jen, you're making me look bad

my pic havent come out for sooo long
"Play with your ears" - Yngwie Malmsteen, Paul Gilbert
Thats what she said...
UGmusic
Last edited by madpickin03 at Jan 5, 2007,
sorry faz, i didnt see u in a while so i jumped in.

*jumps away. :p

and ur welcome TS. any probs repost, this is a common problem as u can see by the pics.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Thanks guys, it helped alot what you all said.

I don't have a solder iron, but I used a piece of tape to secure the broken weld.

It's temporary until I get a solder iron, but until then it will work nicely.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
hey thats cool.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62