Page 1 of 2
Do you guys know about bands where actually the musicians had studied music? Or do anyon eof you knows music theory and play metal? I mean because I know of lot of bands that just go and jam and make songs by using generic riffs and thats how then they get repetitive in every album and then boring.
Muhammed Suicmez.

S'all.
Quote by justinb904
im more of a social godzilla than chameleon

Quote by MetalMessiah665
Alright, I'll give them a try, Japanese Black Speed rarely disappoints.

Quote by azzemojo
Hmm judging from your pic you'd fit in more with a fat busted tribute.
Alot of bands didn't actaully go to music school, but studied theory on their own.

Bands like Nevermore or Necrophagist just holed up in their rooms as kids and studied and practised.

Other bands like Dream Theatre or whatever actaully went to music school. I think Decapitated did as well?
Read my post. Not this.
I study theory on my own time- I haven't studied professionally (yet.)

It is hard to tell if a band has studied theory unless you actually ask them. The best thing I do is just...avoid the ones with the generic riffs
- Celtic folk metal | - Folk metal | - Folk Metal label/Distro
I read that Muhammed never used a book to learn toplay guitar he just listened to songs thats all.
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Vogg from Decapitated is apparently a very well schooled musician

Chris Broderick from Jag Panzer is also an incredible classical guitarist

Im trying to start lessons with broderick this month lol
Quote by garden of grey
Im trying to start lessons with broderick this month lol

what are his rates?
Read my post. Not this.
Wow that's nothing, he's like your average joe teacher at those prices lol.

Anyway, metal has to be something like the most theory hailing genre there is. Lots of technicality.
-Mike
Quote by HopePoisoned
Wow that's nothing, he's like your average joe teacher at those prices lol.

Anyway, metal has to be something like the most theory hailing genre there is. Lots of technicality.

He's good but I'd say its not a wise choice to think he may be a great teacher just because of his sucess/asskickery. (although he probably is)

Steve Smythe also gives lessons over the net.

My younger brother's guitar teacher is absolutely amazing and his rates are only $20/lesson. I don't think he has any major success in music but I know he's got a degree in it, haha.
is there a "music theory for dummies" sort of book? i've always been interested in theory but have never actually taken music classes.

if it helps, i'm mostly interested in harmonization.
I think it's safe to say the guys in Opeth, Orphaned Land, and Nile know a good deal of theory.

Kirk Hammett studied with Joe Satriani (and didn't get much better because of it). I think Cliff Burton studied music as well.

Randy Rhoads' mom ran a music school or something, so he learned a lot of theory there.
^Randy Rhoads played classical guitar too.

The bassist in my band knows alot about music theory, and writes most of our songs.
Member #1,267,859 of the I'd die for Dethklok club. PM Vigilantius to join.

Infanterist of the First Reich of the Grammar Nazis.

Quote by MusicMan00
I noticed the avatar before I read what you said. Then I read it. Then I laughed.
All I can say is that Classically trained guitarists kick ass. Ihsahn and Alexi, but totally different styles
FAN OF EMPEROR ?

Quote by Magero
Theres more of us it wont be long before we you over the world and you can burn all the churchs you want

I'm MAD about Black Metal. Ask me about Church Burnings.
Quote by unfathomable_bo
Its like $25 for a half hour lesson

Could you possibly PM a link/info?

also:

alexi laiho played violin before guitar..
randy rhoads played classical guitar...
Jon petrucci went to berklee college of music...
Alex Skolnick of Testament went to "the new school" in New York.. even if it was for jazz..

and countless others,
so to answer your question: Yes.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by CaptainOfSmug
All I can say is that Classically trained guitarists kick ass. Ihsahn and Alexi, but totally different styles

Yeah Ihsahn was playing piano when he was about 5 or something I think
The Gorguts guitarist (his name slips my mind at the moment) went to music college for theory, classical. There are two lessons form him on YouTube, and they made me rethink the way I look at theory in metal.
^Luc Lemanay, or something.

I personally don't over utilise it. But it seems everything I write comes out in G Major...

Brendan Small went to Berklee if I remember rightly...
LAMMERGEIER
Disclaimer: Dyer's Eve can not be held responsible for the loss of time spent or the insult to your aural senses as a result of exploring this link
Quote by mingles
Alot of bands didn't actaully go to music school, but studied theory on their own.

Me!
I'LL PUNCH A DONKEY IN THE STREETS OF GALWAY
Quote by HopePoisoned

Actually classical music is way at the top. Followed by jazz and metal would be a distant third.
Quote by BigRudy
I disagree Slipknot is more technical than Necrophagist and more brutal than Suffocation, that's why I do hardcore dances to it with my 14 year old friends.
I'd bet the guys at Cynic and Atheist knew a good amount of theory, and Luc Lemay has a degree in musical composition. Plus bands like Nightwish, Quo Vadis, Martyr...
Dyer's Eve is awesome, and has an abnormally large penis, which doesn't act as any hinderance to his everyday life despite its freakishly large size.
For unrivaled obedience, user King_ofKumbucha is awarded this spot of honor.
just remember this one scale....chromatic...its all you need
My sig is better than yours
Quote by Magero
I like hearing about musicians who taught themselves, it gives me hope.

Me too.
Talk to Erowid

Quote by dead-fish

Tell me when thy band shall return to mark a schedueled performance on my nearest venue's door!
Quoth teh Loomis, "Nevermore".

Member #9 of the "Marty Friedman > You" Club. PM apocalypse13 or altronataku to join.
alex webster from cannibal corpse seem to know his theory.
eric peterson from testament knows a lot too.
kill em all
Luc lemay indeed studied classical composition, but he claims that he doesn't use it in his metal songwriting (he even said that he doesn't know where the notes are on the neck).

Vogg also studied music and i think Vitek did as well, but i'm not sure.

But overall most metal guitarists are probably self thought.
Quote by mydadisjewish
is there a "music theory for dummies" sort of book? i've always been interested in theory but have never actually taken music classes.

if it helps, i'm mostly interested in harmonization.

Great site online: http://www.zentao.com/guitar/theory/
-Mike
Yeah i ask because my girlfriend is goin to music college studying vocals, and well she is learning a lot of theory and she was showing why the composers do what they do in the songs. I was thinking if in metal it was the same.
Quote by Dead.Alone
Akerfeldt knows very little about theory, and he admits it. He says he just plays what sounds good.

He would be someone I would think went to music school.
Petrucci and Metal Mike both did.
Has anyone taken any of the steve smyth lessons online?
Are they any good?

-Alex.
"Insecticon" of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

You make me feel
Like a dog, you can see, my emotions
Is this for real, i'm a man
Sinking deep, in the ocean
Page 1 of 2