ok

so i tell myself im gonna practice all day

but when i start..my mind just keeps telling me "youve got a long way to go"
and thatll consume my mindthoughts

and we all know practicing exercises can get really boring..
and sometimes ill tell myself to go do something else..

i really wanna reach my goal of getting faster and playing smoother

but im really impatient and i cant stand being bored.

so should i just tell myself to not leave my chair?

or how do i keep myself motivated?

any answer would be appreciated =]
Write a song for practice.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Well a book I know of that I want to get sometime soon is called Effortless Mastery, and after a reccomendation from JohnlJones i'm really looking to get it sometime soon. I really think it helps getting over those mental blocks, maybe John can expand on some of those ideas.
Co-Founder of the Jazz Guitarist Community. PM me or Zeppelin256 to join.

Come listen to Zeppelin256 and I jam over some jazz tunes! Unit 7
dont play your guitar for like a month, or long enough so your dying to get back to get back to it that should help =]
Quote by MightyAl
I lean towards Butthole Surfers because only a butthole would carry a surfboard around a town.

Teh Gearz:

Cruiser Stratocaster
Feng Ling G15 Amplifier
Digitech Grunge Pedal
Daphon E20PH Phaser Pedal
without motivation and battling the boring and tediously hard times, youll get no where. there usually wont be somebody to kick you up the ass youll lucky if there is because youll thank them one day......its all down to you, depends on how you want to get
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
Quote by South-of-Heaven
dont play your guitar for like a month, or long enough so your dying to get back to get back to it that should help =]

dude you are a d*ck, avoid giving people help xD
Quote by darkstar2466

I love you.

Quote by rabidguitarist

Can I be your adopted parent? I'd love you like a real son.

"Arguing over the internet is like the special olympics. No matter who wins, your both still retards." - A man of many muffins
i recommend what was recommended to me, don't just practice scales or exercises, practice things that are musical, say you're trying to practice sweep picking (just as an example) write a simple 3-4 chord progression that could be swept picked (or 2 or 3 different progressions) that you like and think sounds good and practice using those instead of just doing 1 thing over and over, cuz yeah if you make your exercises fun, they won't feel so much like exercises any more. i only "pracitice" for 10 -15 minutes a day and its usually just chromatic runs. then if theres something i need to work on i'll write a little tune that uses what i need practice on and work on it till it sounds like i want it to.
dont think of "all" that time you have left, think of what little time you get to practice day to day.
As far as scales, If you play just one scale over and over, you will get much faster and when you play it fast it sounds so awesome
first of all, when you pick your guitar up start to play, are you having fun? if no, then go play some other instrument. The way i learned, i played simple songs in the beginning, like really simple intros...which is fun in a way for a beginnner... the thing is, you have to get past the diffucilt part in the beginning, like hitting the wrong strings and such. Once you get past these difficulties, things will go smoother, i assure you that. and tere will be times when you feel like not playing for a week or so...that is just a good sign, at least it was for me.
So start rockin!
Gear:

Epiphone les paul standard
Peavey Bandit 112
Dunlop Cry-Baby
you definately should NOT dread practicing, i love it still after 12 years, its my zen moment
One of the most important things you need to do to get good at guitar is (obviously) to condition your hands by playing stuff that is pushing their limit just a little, which may include playing scales or tough picking patterns, etc. A good way that Ive found to do this and make up alot of technical ground is to sit with a guitar while you watch a movie, tv, or whatever. It makes it alot easier to practice things that are difficult and subsequently ungratifying at the moment without getting tooo bored. For example, I practiced tremelo and sweep picking and scales and stuff like that from 1 until 8 this morning while watching late night tv last night, and it was not that much of a push because of the slight diversion of the tv every now and then. Try this with anything you feel you need to work on, and youll be surprised at how much easier it is to sit there for hours on end, since having a means of diversion breaks up tedious exercises.
This being said, I dont think this is always a good practice habit...I think you should be totally focused on only guitar when you practice most of the time, even if its only for an hour or two at a time. Also, dont feel like you have to sit there for five hours at a time every single day in order to get good. The most important things is playing every single day, even if only for an hour, so you keep moving forward.
^ i wouldn't recommend doing this until you have gotten to the point where what you are practicing you can practice cleanly and without thought. this is a good idea however once you get to that point.
Its a little big thing called insperation! Listen to some amazing music. Or (for me this helps a lot) Go watch some guitar video on you tube that shows excellent playing. And get inspired then i usally go practice for like 3 hours and then maybe learn a song or two and then write one. So all and all music/guitar and guitar related things are all i do...
Quote by ch715dallat
Necrophagist how could all you n00bs forget the best german metalcore band ever. i think theyre tech metalcore tho or sumfin