SO, the only scale i know is all 5 positions of the Minor Pentatonic.

Now dont get me wrong, its gret, fun, and easy to remember/learn, but after playing nothing but minor pent wankage, im bored.

so whats some new scales i can learn to create more of a variety and a longer lasting solo without repeating as many notes?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn
brad you smell like my hairy left nut

Depends what style you want to play; harmonic minor is great for eastern sounding solos, modes are fun too, experiment with them, a lot of shred players use them or possibly blues scales, but thats very similar to minor pentatonic so you might not like that one as much.

Peace
Major scale, because once you've learned that you've learned the modes as well, you just have to apply the same notes slightly differently. And once you have the modes you have a huge range of expressive options (Upbeat? Ionian. Dramatic? Aeolian. Flamenco? Phrygian. Tense? Locrian - etc.) at your fingertips.

But you may as well learn the Blues scale first, as you know 6/7ths of it already - you just have to add in a b5 (IE play the note between the 4th and 5th degrees of the scale - the note 6 semitones up from the root note).
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Learn all 7 modes of the major scale. They aren't terribly difficult to learn if you practice them every night and it will open it up your musical possibilities more than you probably can comprehend. Also experiment with adding notes to your pentatonic positions to create 'combination' scales. BUT one that you can easily learn in 10 seconds is what I call the E.V.H. scale (or Eddie Van Halen scale if you can't pick up on acronyms). To play it go to ANY position on the neck and the fingerings 1-2-4 on all six strings. Thus you have the E.V.H. scale. But seriously learn that and learn the modes and you will thank yourself.
Dude, not to put you down, I know Eddie was a great innovator etc, but that 1-2-4 scale makes no theoretical sense, so for a newer player it's probably not wise to go down that route, especially as chromatic / passing notes often don't work at low or medium tempo.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

Squigglymetal!
Well the music i play is basically metal, and blues, and i (sorta) learned to shred (or play fast?) with the minor pents, i dunno, i have a good time messing around with them, but the most i can get out of a run is about a minute or a minute and a half, and then i start repeating licks again so i need to stop and think about something else i can add, whereas i would think with a major scale or some other scale i would have plenty of notes to choose from thus not having a 1 mintue solo then start wanking the same shit over, i have a sheet with all the modes on it, (Lydian, Ionian, Phrygian, etc..i dont remember th order but i have it written down)...so would learning al the modes be a good plan for the music i play?

can someone give some examples of some other scales?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Okay, you like blues, you can play the minor pentatonic - spend a while with the Blues scale, you basically know it already, but it's a nice bluesy variation on the min. pent.

Now if you feel you're ready to go into modal playin', learn the major scale (Tone, tone, semitone, tone, tone, tone, semitone). Now once you've done that, all you have to do is change the key while keepng the same notes, and you're playing in a mode. For example, if you take the notes of the Cmaj scale (C D E F G A B C) but start using E as your root note, and basing your progressions around E instead, you're using E Phrygian.

The order is
Ionian (major scale)
Dorian
Phrygian
Lydian
Mixolydian
Aeolian (nat. minor scale)
Locrian

So starting on the 2nd note of the major scale gives you a Dorian tonality, the third a Phrygian one, etc etc. There are other complications as you learn the key sounds of each scale (for example, using the b2nd note in the Phrygian scale is good for a Spanish sound), but once you know the major scale, all the basics of all 7 modes are at your fingertips.
Quote by adamrandall

Squigglymetal!
alright im going to check that out
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Cool. Have fun
Quote by adamrandall

Squigglymetal!
Hey, howcome everyone always uses the C Major scale as an example?

is is the C Major scale THE scale that everything is based on?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Brad, you smell.

Quote by Slash_HuDsOn

Phyrgian Dominant D7 is pretty good its that egyptian scale
Quote by Aqua Dementia
I like to play this game where I'll see how many times I can look at a particular chicks ass or tits until I get caught.

Quote by WNxScythe
Fat chicks are different. They don't count, they aren't women.

Digitech Whammy Club!
the C scale is the first scale on the circle of fifths. it has no sharps or flats, its just the white keys on the piano. it makes sense to start there theory-wise, even though i usually think in E or D on the guitar.
^ Yah, it's because Cmaj is the scale that goes C D E F G A B ...now I could have used E, which would have in a way made more sense because then you can start on the lowest note on the guitar, but as that's E F# G# A B C# D# E, it's just not quite so easy to work things out using it when you're starting out.
Quote by adamrandall

Squigglymetal!