I just started this Christmas and I bought a 250$ Ibanez starter pack and it seems like whenever I try to play any song that isn't Smoke on the Water, the song doesn't sound right at all. I tuned it to standard myself with an electric tuner, even my friend said everything was tuned correctly and hes been playing for quite awhile. Then my friend gets a 190 starter pack with an amp half the size of mine and the guitar sounds so much better, I tried playing the song I wanted on his(Iron Man) and it sounds perfect, yet mine sounds no where near it. Any ideas?
u have to look into the amp settings and stuff man
maybe ur playing is a little sloppy?
can't make it always ur amp and ur guitar's fault man
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
could there be a problem with the intonation? I don't think that would be so much of an issue with Iron Man, but I suppose if its off enough it would sound out of tune.

EDIT:
Thats what were talking about right? Not the sound of the guitar, but the notes?
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
Okay, if you're sure your playing is right on your guitar, check

1) your amp gain
2) your amp EQ
3) Your guitar tone and volume pots

I seem to remember that Iommi used 6-6-6 as an EQ setting, and about 7 or 8 gain, so try dialling that into your amp, using your bridge pickup, and setting your tone about 7 with guitar vol right up. (Anyone else feel free to correct me on that, but from my own crap axe that gets me a decent Iommi noise)
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Last edited by TheUnholy at Jan 5, 2007,
I have that same pack. The guitar itself is fine, but the amp is a different story. You'll have to play with the settings a lot to get a decent sound but don't expect too much. But it is a starter pack so whatever, just learn and save for new gear.
Quote by TheUnholy
Okay, if you're sure your playing is right on your guitar, check

1) your amp gain
2) your amp EQ
3) Your guitar tone and volume pots

I seem to remember that Iommi used 6-6-6 as an EQ setting, and about 7 or 8 gain, so try dialling that into your amp, using your bridge pickup, and setting your tone about 7 with guitar vol right up. (Anyone else feel free to correct me on that, but from my own crap axe that gets me a decent Iommi noise)

that helped alot, thanks
No bother. In the Guitar Gear and Accessories forum you'll find a whole topic dedicated to different Amp settings for different tones, might be worth your while taking a peek.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!