what key would this progression be in and what scale could i use over it?

E B D A

i was thinking maybe D major, although i'm not sure.

any help?
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
i am guessing it is in E and therefore anything in Emajor or Emajor penatonic will go, it depends really if you want to be more specific what genre are you playing it in?
i'm playing it in a pop punk genre. and it can't be an E major because of the D natural.
Call me Michael...

Mixing
Need something mixed? Send me a PM with the details! Cheap rates, fast turnaround, satisfaction guaranteed!

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
ahhhh i love being able to help, i would need to really hear how you are playing it, but there is an E major type scale (maybe mixolydian) if it sounds as though it resolves to E it would be this....
E F# G# A B C# D

if it sounds as though it resolves to A, then i would go with A major which oddly enough is

A B C# D E F# G#

which is just a different mode of the original scale.
Quote by z4twenny
ahhhh i love being able to help, i would need to really hear how you are playing it, but there is an E major type scale (maybe mixolydian) if it sounds as though it resolves to E it would be this....
E F# G# A B C# D

if it sounds as though it resolves to A, then i would go with A major which oddly enough is

A B C# D E F# G#

which is just a different mode of the original scale.

But you can't be in a certain key if you have 4 Major chords right?
why not? chords can be implied, and subsequently, tons of country music uses 4 major chords.
or you can create the key this is in by doing a simple formula that i like

E - E G# B
B - B F# D#
D - D F# A
A - A C# E

now add all these together and removed the excess notes and you get

E F# G# A B C# D D#

(edit : oops, i messed up, here is the correct form)

which is E major with a minored 7th added
yeh try mixolydian then with the minored 7th, mixolydian goes well wth a dominat 7th chord as the 7th in the chord is flattened but give it a go anyway.
I'm going with E major. It doesn't fit into any one scale, but since it is kind of a bluesy/rocky progression, I'd use E blues and E minor pentatonic.

Yes, you can use E minor pentatonic over a bluesy E major progression.
It depends, are all those V7's or major or minor chords. That all matters. If you want your solo to sound good, use the chord tones as "homebase notes" while you use the rest of the scale notes as an advaible pool of notes that you can put into coherant thought.

Let's assume that your Chord Progression goes something like this.

|Emaj7 |B7 |Dmaj7|A7 |
| | | | |
| | | | |

this is a fairly straight-forward progression. The E-B is a I-V in the key of E maj. Therefore you wanna use the E major scale scale (E, F#, G#, A, B, C#, D#) in there with the B mixolyidan scale (A, B, C#, D#, E, F#, G#).

For the next part, the Dmaj7-A7 is a I-V in Dmaj. Bascially the same thing just down a whole step. Use the D Major scale (D, E, F#, G, A, B, C#) with the A mixolyidan scale (A, B, C#, D, E, F#, G).

As far as the solo goes, think not in "X chord goes to X scale" think "X chord IS X scale". For example, Emaj7-B7 is all in the key of E, the B dominant scale is just the E major scale from B to B. Same with the next two chords. So feel it as a two-part vamp (short section repeated) were the first 2 bars in E and the last 2 in D. Some ideas of what I would do would be to make up a few licks in either E or D and transcribe them into the other key. Then play the lick in E, then repeat/make varaitaions of the same lick in the key of D maj.

P.M. Me with other questions. Good Luck.
cool. all this information is really helpful, but i'm not using maj7, 7, dom9 chords. just straight power chords. i think i should have specified that in the beginning. but hey! this information will help in songs where i usde those types of chords.
Call me Michael...

Mixing

Certifications:
Pro Tools HD9
Logic Pro 9 Master Pro
Try D pentatonic or maybe A pentatonic?
Last edited by Killer-Duck at Jan 5, 2007,
That's the same chord progression as in Sin City by AC/DC and fwiw Angus solos in E minor pentatonic on that one.
Quote by TasianSensation
cool. all this information is really helpful, but i'm not using maj7, 7, dom9 chords. just straight power chords. i think i should have specified that in the beginning. but hey! this information will help in songs where i usde those types of chords.

Then use pentatonic scales to sound good or just about any scale in the right keys will work in power chords. Power chords have no colour tones so you can just about do anything over the solo and it will sound good. Just make sure to use the chord tones as your homebase notes and all others in the key as other tones to add dissonance.