okay so i've found plenty of threads on peoples saga builds and I've done plenty of woodworking before that I feel confident i could successfuly build one of these guitars from a kit. I'm currently learning on an acoustic guitar but would like a cheap electric to mess around on.
Heres my question if I were to build a saga telecaster straight from teh kit how would it compare to squier strat. This is without taking into compensation switching out the tuners or pickups of the saga which i would probably end up doing, but for now disregard this and I would like the input of anybody with experience with both these guitars.

Thanks
Sagas aren't by any means bad, but I'd still take an affinity Squier. Affinities are Alder, not Basswood, and they're built a little better, IMO. On top of all that, they don't cost a whole hell of a lot more.
^seconded...

althought one buys a SAGA kit not for the tonal properties of the gutiar, but the fun of building it... I would go with getting a v cheap 2nd hand squire and giving it a make-over...

well, saga kits, are, well, amazing. they're a blast to build, and in the end, you get a totally unique guitar. i'd go with that, since the tonal properties of alder and basswood are close.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
okay, taking out the factor of getting to build your own guitar. Nobody finds the final product of the saga definitively better than a squier or vice versa.
Quote by Pacifica112J
Sagas aren't by any means bad, but I'd still take an affinity Squier. Affinities are Alder, not Basswood, and they're built a little better, IMO. On top of all that, they don't cost a whole hell of a lot more.

Basswood isnt all that bad, right? I mean, suhr guitars( who make amazing guitars, btw) called basswood w/ a maple top and maple neck "the holy grail of tone", and I have heard it to be in-between alder and mahogany tone wise and very light.

http://www.suhrguitars.com/wood.aspx Scroll down a little more than halfway
sorry but unless you build a saga yourself, you dont know what your talking about.. My LP saga is killer.. Of course i put alot into it, but i can promise it plays, sounds, and looks better than some squier.. The more work you put into it, the better it'll be, and Basswood is a nice sounding tonewood too. I dunno about a saga tele, but my saga LP rocks.. I prefer it over my old Epi LP standard, of course my saga has better hardware as well, i upgraded it with all gibson stuff.
Quote by -jeff-
Basswood isnt all that bad, right? I mean, suhr guitars( who make amazing guitars, btw) called basswood w/ a maple top and maple neck "the holy grail of tone", and I have heard it to be in-between alder and mahogany tone wise and very light.

No, Basswood isn't a bad tone wood in the least. It's just a more mid-range based sound than Alder, and brighter than mahogany, like you said.
Howevger, Like I said, building a Saga requires you to know how to finish a guitar on your own. And if you're not prepared to do that, just get the squire.
They can be good guitars though, there have been multiple threads here on good Saga builds.
Quote by -jeff-

I too am a big fan of Suhr guitars... But remember they're are trying to sell their instrusments... personally (and yes i have fiddled with SAGA kits) basswood is a bit of a dull tonewood... no real character in it... great for metal.. not great for msot toher things... i could imagine a real high grade basswood would be that much better like that that suhr uses... but remember you're getting very cheap wood and hardwear in SAGA kits... that's thw only, be it reasonble downside...

on the swuire subject, i find that JOHNSON make excellent guitars. i prefer johnson to nearly every squire i have played. try getting it set up.

that said, the experience of building a guitar will reward you more than the guitar itself (unless you lose a finger)
My Blog
New bands you wish you knew about!

Check This Band:As Blood Runs Black
Guitarist of the month: Quorthon

Got a good band that you want to share with the world? PM me and I'll write them a review.
still, sagas are incredibly easy to finish, and while the basswood isn't the highest quality, it's not bad by any standard either; is the alder in the squier top notch either?
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
carvin carvin carvin carvin
Minister of Zeppelinism, PM TheHeartBreaker to join
#6 member of the oasis fan club
Cardinal of The 1st Church of Frusciantism
'89 fender american strat
Vox ad15vt
Peavey raptor plus EXP(bridge: alnico 2 pro)
yamaha f-310p
This whole wood argument is just going to come down to personal preference,, as with everything of this matter... Some ppl will love the sound and feel of basswood, others will not... It can't really be argued on UG... If someone wants to know if its a nice sounding tonewood... Play a basswood guitar and ask yourself..: 'does this sound nice?'... Then play a similar ash, mahog or alder guitar, if you can and then ask yourself: 'now, how does that compare... which do i prefer'

Nothing beats trial and error in the guitar world... nothing... people should stop being so lazy...

Saga.

They end up better than Squiers, my Saga Tele is way better than any Squier.
Main gear (For complete list, see profile):
Epiphone Les Paul Standard Plain-top
Basswood Telecaster, 2 single-sized HB's, both split.
Epiphone Valve Junior
B-52 AT-412 Cabinet
Oh, and I have a Squier VM Jazz Bass too.
^^ +1

Also, if one wants to approximate the tone of a certain guitarist, one needs to use the same type of tonewood and PUs. A mahogany body with a maple cap and a mahogany neck with an ebony or rosewood fretboard will not sound the same as a basswood body body with a maple cap (much less veneer) and a maple neck with a rosewood fretboard, even with the same electronics and hardware.

Either would sound nice but the tone will be different. We're lucky we have so many options. I'd like a Carvin myself, but the Squier Affinity is such a nice platform to launch an immense mod frenzy (even if the neck is a little thin for some people ... which is a plus if you want a change from the 50s style baseball bat Gibson LP necks).

Good Luck!