I have about $500 to spend and I was looking at some pretty sweet guitars and the following amps: Peavey Valveking 112, Fender Blues Junior, Peavey Classic 30, Fender Hot Rod, and the Peavey Windsor head. I could probably go up to $600 for the Classic 30 and Hot Rod if need be, but judging by the gear in my sig, should i upgrade my amp or guitar first? I realize there are tons of threads like this and believe me I spent all day searching through them. I am obsessed with classic rock and the tones of players like Gary Moore, Scott Gorham, Martin Barre, Neil Schon, Buck Dharma, etc. So what do I do?

DISCLAIMER: I hate these threads but I dont know who to ask about this because my friends are mostly non-musicians.
"There but for fortune go you or I"- Phil Ochs
Definitely upgrade the amp first. I would suggest one of the Fenders, either the Blues Jr. or Hot Rod.
Quote by me_llamo_juan
Definitely upgrade the amp first. I would suggest one of the Fenders, either the Blues Jr. or Hot Rod.

+1
Importance scale for you:
Your skillz>Amp>Guitar>Effects
Depends on whether your in a band yet or not, and what your going to be using the Amp for. If you plan to Gig anytime soon you will definitly need a new amp, but if you are just sitting in your room playing to yourself i would go with the new guitar.
That was another of my concerns. I want to play out, but my buddy and I aren't quite prepared enough. Guitars and Guitar related gear is such a dual edged sword. Its so fun to play but so hard to choose.
Don't even think about getting a new guitar. Seriously.

The first thing you wanta do is save another 100 bucks or so and have about a 700 dollar budget.

Then check out these amps for classic rock: BTW YOU MUST BUY ALL TUBE...trust me and the others who will chime in here soon.

-JCM800/900 combos off ebay (usually run 600-800 dollars)
-Traynor YCV50 Blue
-Mesa Boogie Stiletto used off ebay (probably outa your pricerange though. known as the more "marshall voiced" mesa)

I'm pretty sure thats the tone your wanting. The Fenders are great amps..but your not going to get the overdrive you want for classic rock out of them. They are known for their cleans.

I'll think of some more in a sec. Mind is going blank for that price range. I can almost pretty much tell you though to get a new YCV50 Blue. You can get them for $650 from musicansbuy.com...or their are some on ebay for around 500 dollars (some new some used).

Check them out. Ebay is your friend.
Quote by deg0ey
The best pickups for emo are no pickups at all...

Gear:

1996 Les Paul Classic w/ Alnico II's
Marshall Jubilee 2550
Vox V847 Wah
Assorted pedals
ROFL @ "YOU MUST BUY ALL TUBE" all the amps I was looking at are all tube unless I'm mistaken.