So. . .

I'm looking to put some LED's behind my pickups. I know how to do everything if i just want an on/off switch to turn the lights on/off, but i want to use the outputs from the pickups to light the LED's so that when you are playing something, the pickup lights up.

Basically I'm not to sure how to do it. Anyone got any advise??

Thanks
I guess you could run a wire from the output of the volume pot (if you want the led's brightness to be proportionate to the volume) or right before the volume pot (if you want it to stay the same brightness) with the circuit and ground it to the bridge or something like that. But I have no idea what the output for a pickup is so you'll need to figure out what resistance to put there. This could also affect your tone and output signal I would assume.
My Gear:
ESP LTD KH-202
Peavey Triple XXX
I think that if you used the outputs to power the leds, then you would have no output or very low output anyway as the leds would use your outpput as a poweer supply.
You cna't use your output as a power source. Did you know your guitar's signal is actually VERY weak? That's why you use an AMPLIFIER.
You need to power the LEDs with a 9V.

Well, yes i know all that, and after a little more thought, i was thinking about making a small op amp circuit. I'm just not sure if that is that good of an idea. Couldn't it possibly damage the amp?
i would take a led, connect it to a 9v and put on a pot to control it, individually
An op amp circuit is baiscally what is used to amplify the signal.

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=222&Itemid=247

The link show the circuit for making a small portable battery powered amp. I'm thinking that i could just build that, only replace the led's for speaker. I would imagine it would work without the guitar plugged into the amp, but what would happen when i would plug it into my amp. Technically, wouldn't it be like hooking my guitar up to two amps?
i think you need to find some kind of "light organ" schematic, and replace the mic input with an input from the pickups...

i did the same thing you did a couple of months ago, only i used 36 LED's round each pickup (72 total) the battery got drained in like a day, plus no-one really noticed them cause my hand was in the way.... so i took them out

lewis
umm you can use the power from a humbucker to power a light? i didnt know that!!! THAT AWSOME !! IM SOO DOING THAT!!
UG's HIPPIE
Quote by ~G{}{}BER~
umm you can use the power from a humbucker to power a light? i didnt know that!!! THAT AWSOME !! IM SOO DOING THAT!!

Umm... no. Where do you see a plug or power supply going into the guitar? Theres no power supply to it. The pickups are passive (unless they have batteries and are active). So what is going to power the LED? You need power or electricity. A light bulb doesnt just majically light up because you stick it in a socket, you must plug it in.
its a cool idea but like others have said it wont work unless you have a powersource
i am known by none and feard by many!!! half the lies i tell are not true!!!

-juggalo pride
Quote by tongue untied
^ um...its bin done before.

wait for pink to show up- i think hes got a diagram

and you use a 9v battery- its not that hard

like i said unless you have a power source, a 9v battery is a power source

-juggalo pride
yeah i see how you could have gotten that out of wat i typed.

-juggalo pride
An op-amp and a LED VU driver will likely do the trick, or any colour organ circuit will work. You can pick these up at most electronics hoby shops in kit form with a PCB. Put the circuit in parallel with your guitar output and design the buffer (input of the LED circuit) to have a very high impedence.